Correct location for 64 heater control valve

64Rivvy

Does anyone have a pic of the factory correct mounting location for the heater control valve on a 64? I just fabricated a bracket to mount a new manual control valve to the oem bracket. However, I dont think where it was previously mounted was correct and I want to make sure to put it in the correct location. 

Thanks,

Raul

4 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

Does anyone have a pic of the factory correct mounting location for the heater control valve on a 64? I just fabricated a bracket to mount a new manual control valve to the oem bracket. However, I dont think where it was previously mounted was correct and I want to make sure to put it in the correct location. 

Thanks,

Raul

Raul, contact Jim Cannon if he doesn’t pick this up. 
I know the 63 Riv water control was manual, but very hard to find and expensive when you did find one. I thought and I’m happy to be wrong the water control valve was vacuum controlled. I have a 63 and my mounting hardware and bracket were gone.

Turbinator

51 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Raul,

in `64 heater control valve mounts on the pass side inner fenderwell. There should be an illustration in the `64 Buick shop manaul,

Tom Mooney

Tom, my water control valve for the 63 zRiviera is mounted on the firewall to the right of my STV. I am supposing I have it the correct position. I put the replacement water control valve

in the same place the faulty manual control was mounted. No need to answer I can look in the SERVICE MANUAL!

Turbinator

Thanks guys. I have looked through the diagrams in the shop manual but have not seen any illustrations that show exactly where the valve is mounted on a 64 and I'm not finding any existing holes where I though it would go on the pass inner fenderwell.  To my knowledge the 64 used a manual gate valve that is currently about impossible to find. There is one on ebay now for 250 and I'm not paying that . I am using a manual valve from a 70s bronco that works fine and I fabricated a bracket to mount it to the original oem bracket. 

36 minutes ago, 64Rivvy said:

Thanks guys. I have looked through the diagrams in the shop manual but have not seen any illustrations that show exactly where the valve is mounted on a 64 and I'm not finding any existing holes where I though it would go on the pass inner fenderwell.  To my knowledge the 64 used a manual gate valve that is currently about impossible to find. There is one on ebay now for 250 and I'm not paying that . I am using a manual valve from a 70s bronco that works fine and I fabricated a bracket to mount it to the original oem bracket. 

Try 11-37...or, 11-49...both Riviera specific

Tom M

1 hour ago, Turbinator said:

Tom, my water control valve for the 63 zRiviera is mounted on the firewall to the right of my STV. I am supposing I have it the correct position. I put the replacement water control valve

in the same place the faulty manual control was mounted. No need to answer I can look in the SERVICE MANUAL!

Turbinator

Hi Bob,

That is the correct location for the `63 model

Tom

Thanks guys. I printed out diagram 11-37.  Between that and these pictures I am golden.  Diagram 11-37 threw me off when I saw it in the manual bc it says it's for then4700 series which is a wildcat and riviera is supposed to be 4800 but that def looks the closest to my ac system setup. Thank you all for the help.  Will post some pics when I get it mounted. 

Raul

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)

In 1964, the Riviera is the 4700 series. The Wildcat is the 4600 series and the Electra is the 4800 series. 

The Fisher Body Data plate on your firewall will show the model as a 4747.

That translates to

4 = Buick

7 = Riviera

47 = 2 door hardtop.  

Because the Riviera has only one body style, there is just the one model for it, but body tags for a 1964 Wilcat could read 4639, 4647, 4667, or 4669

4=Buick

6=Wildcat,

Then 39 = 4 door hardtop, 47 = 2 door hardtop, 67 = convertible, and 69 = 4 door sedan.

Hey guys.  One other question on this. The service manual shows the upper 3/4 hose coming off the firewall with a small loop.  Is there a reason that loop is needed?  I tried to replicate it but my heater hose just kinks and collapses when I try to make a loop that tight. Sorry just trying to get everything set back up as oem as possible. Thank you.  I included a pic of the diagram I'm referring to. 

Raul

15783394940746667136567526913373.jpg

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)

Thar was a custom molded hose specifically designed for that particular installation. It is not reproduced.  I know of one Riviera owner who found radiator hose that had a wire molded into the length of it.  He was able to replicate any bend without linking the hose. NO, I do not know what it's called or where he got it. Here's a picture from his build.

39622_419988670162_2033755_n.jpg.354928745f1a8a38905693aa37a7d351.jpg

I have heard that you can run your hose through a coil spring with an I.D. the same as the O.D. of the hose,  bend it into the shape you want, and run really hot water into it and it will conform to the shape.  Never tried it, just heard of it.