Steve McQueen's Bullitt car going for 4 Million Dollars

It will be interesting to see what thr car sells for........4 million.......nope, 3 million.......nope, two million, not much chance, one million, I wouldn’t hold my breath. It’s neat, cool, driven by the king of cool.........a movie car...........do I think it’s worth a premium for both the movie and the driver? YES............but, he’s been dead a long time, and they built countless similar cars that can easily be purchased for affordable numbers. I could see 300 or 400........not much more. But then again, one never knows till the auction starts. My official guess is 375, but the auction house will bid it up to two million with chandelier bids if aim not mistaken............as any owner and the auction house will want to protect the cars price. 

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Boy, if ever there was a guy riding on his father's coattails, it's Chad McQueen. 

Matt, I think a lot of it goes with the territory. He , himself  is listed ,as an actor, producer, and who knows what  else?  In the end,   he is , Steve McQueen's kid. and in this day and age,   I believe, that only goes so far.

It's the most expensive Mustang to ever cross the auction block. 

The day has finally come, and the original screen-used 1968 Ford Mustang GT from the film Bullitt has a new owner. That person paid handsomely for the privilege, too, because it sold for a whopping $3.4 million. And yes, that’s the most money ever paid for a Ford Mustang at auction. Not bad for a car that was originally purchased for just $3,500.

OK the picture is of the Monkey's playing on Gilligan's Island (at least no Beatles were hurt in that post), wait did I miss a joke there?  Interesting Mustang, unfortunately most likely heading overseas.   Some rich guy is bragging right now how he just bought Steve McQueen's mustang, he will pay someone to push it to the back of his garage never to be seen again.  Hope one of the cars I buy, sets my family up for life, that was one smart Dad.

Well........did it sell? According to people in that small part of the car world..........the buyer name is certainly not what one would call a legitimate buyer...........I won’t post the name, but trust me, if what is being said is accurate, it’s not a “legitimate hands length transaction”.

I have no issues with either sale, but if the name of the buyer being tossed around is correct, it will probably be considered some kind of “asterisk” transaction.

Ed, after all the hype, the car couldn’t NOT sell in front of a public audience.  Damn, I love it when a double negative is grammatically correct!

I don’t know all about auctions, but do know there’s a lot of side deals going on all the time.  I wouldn’t be shocked if I learned Mecum guaranteed the family a price, and the auction company now owns it....

4 hours ago, Graham Man said:

OK the picture is of the Monkey's playing on Gilligan's Island (at least no Beatles were hurt in that post), wait did I miss a joke 

The episode was titled "Don't Bug the Mosquitos" a spoof on the Beatles. The Mosquitos were played by the Wellingtons who sang the Gilligan's Island theme song as well as back up on songs for Jan & Dean. They were featured regularly on Shindig!

They were NOT as cool as Steve McQueen. 😄

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

I was there at the auction yesterday when the car crossed the auction block. Room was packed and you could hardly see the car.  #.4 million not including buyers premium.  Only thing made this car worth that much money was the movie participation. Looking at the car inside a plexiglass case one saw a very old used mustang with some cancer spots and paint chipping, very dirty inside. You could see the metal welded to the underside to mount the cameras.  I don't think it even runs as it looked like it was pulled into the arena.  A lot of excitement being there and lots of nice cars crossing the block. Not many classic cars that we all like, a few. A couple of Packards in the 30's a Chrysler Air Flow, 1928 Pontiac 4 door sedan right off the bat,  Lots of 50's and 60's cars, and of course muscle cars, Ferrari's and quite a number of Lambo's.  But then again Mecum is not known for it's classic pre-war cars.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 6:09 AM, JV Puleo said:

No...I wasn't asking them via the internet. But it does show how much they interested me. I couldn't name them in the 70s.

It is the conceit of every age to presume that what they are interested will survive for ever. I'm sure there were Romans who thought their favorite gladiator would be remembered forever.

It won't be all that long before Steve McQueen, or the Beatles, are no better remembered than Jenny Lind or Edwin Booth.

Interesting to ponder what will be remembered 20 or 50 years from now. Steve McQueen actually cut quite the figure in his time, but there are thousands of stars to compete with in our memory. I remember when I was a kid Ted Mack's Amateur Hour was a Big Huge Deal. Lawrence Welk and his show were, too, but neither Ted nor Lawrence are BHDs anymore. What if the auction house featured a documented Lawrence Welk Car at the event next year? I'll try to find some images so all the high-rollers can get their money together:

welktvguide1(sm).jpg.....Image result for lawrence welk's car......Image result for lawrence welk's car......Related image......Image result for lawrence welk's car......Related image......Image result for lawrence welk's car

In some cases, these pictures just show him driving a car, maybe not even his....but the green Mustang wasn't Steve McQueen's, either. To be fair.........we don't have any death-defying shots of Lawrence driving like a bat out of hell in a movie, or anywhere, but he did own some nice cars.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)