CraigD

Lifting the car

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PFitz said:

Not for any Franklins with side mounts. To get a 700 to fit in the wells you have to let most of the air out of the tires.  Been there.

Some of the older Lesters 650-19 were really big. Word was they were made from a modified 700 truck mold. When I talked to Coker about the new Lesters verses the old Lesters, the sales guy said he had heard that, too. And, the new ones I'm seeing in recent years seem to be a true 650.

Paul

Good point, I edited my comment in case someone with sidemounts were to use the comment.  I am sure you have heard all my stories about metal sidemount spare tire covers too - I love them, but what a pain to find tires that fit under them.

My last metal sidemount spare tire cover project ..., let's just say it would have been easier to just remake the fenders. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Good point, I edited my comment in case someone with sidemounts were to use the comment.  I am sure you have heard all my stories about metal sidemount spare tire covers too - I love them, but what a pain to find tires that fit under them.

My last metal sidemount spare tire cover project ..., let's just say it would have been easier to just remake the fenders. 

Yup, the metal covers are nice looking, but what a pain to deal with.

Even though he wanted metal covers, I think 29 Franklin will be happier with the cloth covers and not fighting with metal covers and tires to get them to fit in the wheel wells. 

The only ones I'd have are,.... the 32 speedster here has a rear mounted spare tire metal cover. And I have a clam shell rear spare aluminum cover for Melissa's 31 Berline limo.    

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, PFitz said:

Looks like Stan Lucas (another 31 Speedster owner) got the Custom Classic mold, for at least in black wall. Blurb about them even mentions Lee lineage and Franklin. 

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/650-19-LUCAS-Blackwall-301p.htm

Paul

Interesting, I thought they no longer had any production - I am wondering when production date is, as they could be selling older stock - they do say LUCAS on them though verses....

Anytime I need to match a tire I call Lucas - they have found me some very unique/odd ducks that no one thought could be found, but easier than redoing a set of wheels and hate to say it, but some things no matter how much time I spend to make them run well (to keep me busy/occupied, though equally are not really what I want in a car personally, so they move on) will never see the road in the next owner's hands. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Looking at 650-19 tires on Coker's and Lucas's sites it seems the same 3 or 4 tread patterns keep appearing under different tire model names including radials. I'm guessing that means they are made by the same company ?  

BTW, I recently found out that Summit Racing sells the same Firestone 650-19 at the same price as Coker, but with free shipping. That could save a lot on UPS charges.

Paul

• Like 1

And just looking at the Lester tyres at Universal Tire, shipping on 1 is $24.66. Shipping on 5 is $184. Guess it would be 5 separate orders! Or wait for a free shipping promotion.

Roger

Here are some real nice 6 ply    650x19 Firestone;   https://www.universaltire.com/650-19-firestone-blackwall-tire.html    , whatever you buy, look at the load rating, 4 or 6 ply ....?

Universal Tires

650-19 Firestone Blackwall Tire

sample_firestone-700-17-708000_4_1.jpg

More Views

• sample_firestone-700-17-708000_4_1.jpg
  • sample_firestone-700-17-side-708000_4_1.

Description

650-19 Firestone Blackwall 

Features:

Original fitment for 1930's full-bodied cars

Made in USA

Details/Options

SKU U72573
Construction Tube Type 6 Ply Rated Polyester
Load Capacity 1430 @ 36 psi
Overall Diameter 33.0"
Tread Width 5.1"
Suggested Rim Width 3.5-4.5"
Weight 32.0000

Notes:

$228.00

Quantity:  Select Quantity 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

Get Added Tire Protection
for $10 per tire.  See Details

• Like 1

The same sized Lester tyres are shown as being 8 ply rated for $10 per tyre more.

And interestingly the Lester tyres are 4lbs lighter each than the Firestones.

Roger

22 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

"Lee of Conshohocken"

John,

I just looked closely at your family photo album  picture that you posted in Walt G's "Images of the era" thread, in the General discussions,...…  did you happen to notice the tread pattern on those tires ? Nice to know that the Firestones have not changed from their original design. 

Paul

I doubt if my tire will fit any of your cars, especially with the paper clips involved, but this is an early "LEE Conshohocken" advertising ash tray from the thirties. It clearly shows their sidewall and tread design.

just my 2 cents

bill

DSC03733.JPG

DSC03734.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PFitz said:

I just looked closely at your family photo album  picture that you posted in Walt G's "Images of the era" thread, in the General discussions,...…  did you happen to notice the tread pattern on those tires ? Nice to know that the Firestones have not changed from their original design. 

Here's the picture that I assume @PFitz is referring to with the Firestone tires on it 

Roger

2 hours ago, hook said:

I doubt if my tire will fit any of your cars, especially with the paper clips involved, but this is an early "LEE Conshohocken" advertising ash tray from the thirties. It clearly shows their sidewall and tread design.

just my 2 cents

bill

DSC03733.JPG

DSC03734.JPG

Nice find, Bill.

There was a set of  Lees on a 30 Deauville Sedan at the Trek - put on during it's restoration. I would worry about driving with tires that old. Ironically, it was the left rear rim that spilt from rust, while on a tour to a State park. Luckily, they were going slowly through the park when it let go on a turn.  Tube was bulging out through the split, but never lost air.  

Paul

Posted (edited)

I got the answer to my original question about lifting the car, so now I'm happy this thread has drifted to tires.  Given what I've read so far, I'm leaning towards buying the Firestones.  But I thought I might see more debate here on bias ply vs radial.  Any input on that issue?

Edited by CraigD (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CraigD said:

I got the answer to my original question about lifting the car, and I'm happy this thread has drifted to tires.  Given what I've read so far, I'm leaning towards buying the Firestones.  But I thought I might see more debate here on bias ply vs radial.  Any input on that issue?

There's an ongoing debate about using radials on old type rims not designed for the increased side stress radials put on rims. Especially, snap ring rims and  rims that been rust pitted.

Some old timers may remember back in the 70's, when radials started to become popular, the recommendation was to only use them on cars with "radial tuned suspensions". But what a radial tuned suspension was, was never made clear. I don't find the ride objectionable with bias ply tires, if the suspension is in good condition and the wheels are properly balanced. If it's not, changing tire designs  will not make it better, or safer. 

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

On 1/5/2020 at 1:34 PM, theKiwi said:

The same sized Lester tyres are shown as being 8 ply rated

Bet these ride like a rock 

15 hours ago, PFitz said:

There's an ongoing debate about using radials on old type rims not designed for the increased side stress radials put on rims. Especially, snap ring rims and  rims that been rust pitted.

Some old timers may remember back in the 70's, when radials started to become popular, the recommendation was to only use them on cars with "radial tuned suspensions". But what a radial tuned suspension was, was never made clear. I don't find the ride objectionable with bias ply tires, if the suspension is in good condition and the wheels are properly balanced. If it's not, changing tire designs  will not make it better, or safer. 

Paul 

My opinion is a lock ring style wheel (1928ish to 1933) mixed to a radial tire is pure putting your life at risk - too much stress at the lock ring.  

As to drop center wire wheels - debatable topics + or -. (but you only have a drop center wire wheel on Olympics and 1934's. 

Blackwalls!!!!! no question.  this is mine in Blackwalls.

31 franklin.JPG

• Like 1

Dick, is that the former Merrill coupe ?

Paul

1 hour ago, odat said:

Blackwalls!!!!! no question.  this is mine in Blackwalls.

31 franklin.JPG

Do you have the Firestone tyres on that one Dick?

Roger

yes it is the Merrill coupe.. with a new engine , fuel line and all new brakes.

It has very old (20+years)lesters on it at the moment they look great and ride great but I don't trust 20 year old tires. I have Michelins on my 29 and love them . I am putting Firestones on the 32. they are not on yet but I like the looks of the tread.

16 hours ago, odat said:

yes it is the Merrill coupe.. with a new engine , fuel line and all new brakes.

It has very old (20+years)lesters on it at the moment they look great and ride great but I don't trust 20 year old tires. I have Michelins on my 29 and love them . I am putting Firestones on the 32. they are not on yet but I like the looks of the tread.

I always enjoyed seeing Gardner and Dave at the Trek,..... and Gardner's yearly "Please adjust the carburetor".

Paul

Just an observation from someone who has driven a few miles in a early 1930s  Franklin over the past several decades ( ok Paul stop laughing , it is more then a "few" miles maybe many miles) .

There was a tour 40 + years ago pout in Southampton , NY sponsored by the Long Island Old Car Club Chapter of the Veteran Motor Car Club of America ( now they call themselves the Vintage MCC of America)

and it was called "By land and by Sea". That title because a group of 20+ pre WWII cars drove down from New England taking the ferry across long island sound to Orient Point to get to Southampton to avoid a long drive west then east to get there. ANYWAY a fellow drove down in a 1931 Packard phaeton that had the Custom Classic Lee tires on it, I had my 31 Franklin there and had Lester tires on it. We both went for a ride and drove each others cars. The Lee tires - Custom Classic , were so much nosier then the Lester tires due to the tread pattern it was very very noticeable. Also the Lester tires allowed the car to steer better then the Lee tires. It was an interesting experience to be able to try the two cars out. 

One of the more interesting events was when Don Meyer of NJ blew the back of the headlight off his brass era Locomobile because he turned the gas that powered the lamp up full and then threw in a lit match to get the lamp to light. Ka Boom. It happened after dark to so was a pretty spectacular show , enough to rival the 4th of July celebration and display in any town.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well, with helpful input from friends in this forum, I am now planning to do the Lucas / Custom classic (blackwall). Thank you for the suggestions!

Edited by CraigD (see edit history)