6 V alternator on a 31 Plymouth PA ?

Brooklyn Beer

The alternator 6V pos ground are available.

I bought one on Ebay a few years ago and it worked well.

The bracket was easy to make. However the supplier also offered one.

The one thing I noticed was the sound, it had a bit of a whine that the generator didn't have.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Why?  Amperage or flexibility . 

Just a more stable rate of charging for added lights I would need for night driving.  In the summer months here we do a lot of night driving. Plus I would like to add a 6 volt fan for cooling and would need a few more amps.

I added a Electronic Voltage Regulator to mine . Total invisible inside my generator add worked great this past year . No more adjusting third brush or running with headlights on if not needed . There companies making generators with small alternators built inside . Get more amps and stabilization . Although more expensive  . See Ply 33 site on Peterson device for one .

• Like 2

I was reading up on adjusting the 3rd brush but I never intend to tour the car just like to drive it so going back and forth with the 3rd brush is not something I would like to fool with.  I have just received a set of LED headlight bulbs that I have yet to install that I hope live up to the claims. When I got the car I changed out the existing bulbs (one was out) with a set of new ones and polished the reflectors but have not had the car out at night yet due to other issues stated on the other thread. The goal is lower the amp draw for another set of driving lights OR increase the available amps to a consistent rate.

I make kits for most applications, but am currently out of stock on the bracket pieces needed to make the correct setup you need. I will have them in later this month to early February. Wherever you get your kit I recommend that you get the CS130 type Delco and not the 10SI type Delco alternator. The CS130 type turns on at lower rpms and gives better low rpm output then the 10SI type. This is important since you are adding an electric fan and you have a low idle speed car. Fewer people sell the CS130 do to their higher cost but there is a big difference in their charge ability over the 10SI.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 9:34 PM, DFeeney said:

Hello,  I put one on my 1933 Plymouth several years ago and have been happy with it.  The lights are much brighter and it charges at a higher rate

Could you tell me what bracket you used I bought one A200 universal And can’t get it to work on my 1933 Plymouth 

Hi everyone I am new here but maybe I can help. I recently bought a 6 v pos grd alt and universal bracket for my 32 ply sedan conv. I got it from the brillman co  google them they have an online catalog. they also hav cloth wire and electronic ignitions for most cars from the 30s on

• Like 1

• 2 years later...