JohnD1956

2020 - 2020 mile challenge

Think you would be travelling Fort Erie way or Windsor?

Personally if it was me and located where you are I think the Fort Erie route would be more scenic.

Looking forward to seeing you and Glenda there.

• Like 1

@Buicknutty geeze Keith. 300 miles is like commutting distance. you could sleep at home practically.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doug, we will likely be going through Ft Erie, though we have not yet decided quite which way we will travel.

Keith

• Like 1

I'm planning to take up the challenge this year with my Skylark. I upgraded/replaced the brake system last year, took care of a carburetor problem a couple of weeks ago, and am now in  the process of dealing with a cooling system leak that I hope to resolve shortly. Once that's done the car should be ready for a road trip.

I plan to drive to South Bend, IN and then back to Auburn before driving home to northern NJ. No interstate highways, US highways only. Time permitting I may take a side trip to Indianapolis to visit a friend before returning home. The round trip to South Bend alone will get me around 1,500 miles toward the goal. That trip will serve as a shakedown cruise of sorts for an eventual trip along the Lincoln Highway or US 66 one day. One step at a time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

I plan to drive to South Bend, IN and then back to Auburn before driving home to northern NJ

I am sure many have done that and I can tell you from personal experience, that trip will not be regretted. Its fablous!

I did my first drive today for the challenge.  The challenging part seems to be getting my new phone and new computer to conversing. Since I have not figured that out, no pics.

Official starting mileage:    18707  on the GPS Speedometer.

100 miles today.  

See ya.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m going to give it a try again this year John. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective), I’ve been “gifted” this 71 Chevelle that was sitting in the original owners garage for 26 years.  He downsized into a condo and doesn’t have room for it.  The only space I have for it is in the driveway directly in front of the door where the Electra lives. 

First priority is to get the “crapelle” running and put some tires that will hold air so I can move it out of the way of the Electra (which needs a new heater core). Fun fun around my place! 

89042FEC-693E-4F46-B05C-E885D7CED400.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks pretty solid Doug. Could be a money maker with the right rims and tires. Nice that it is the 350 and not the 307, although the 307 is a decent engine.  Do you have to keep it?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Looks pretty solid Doug. Could be a money maker with the right rims and tires. Nice that it is the 350 and not the 307, although the 307 is a decent engine.  Do you have to keep it?

It's really not that bad.  102K miles and the usual rust issues behind both the front and rear wheels and above the wheel arches in the trunk.  Bumpers are rusty as well and it will need a new vinyl top and a repaint to make it nice, but the floors and frame and interior are very nice.  I just purchased a set of 15-inch Chevy Rallies for it, with the trim rings and center caps, so should help the stance a bit.  The original owner is a close family friend to my wife, and neither of his son's wanted it, so I guess I was the only one not allowed to say no (even though I tried).  Before I sell it, I'd have to get his permission and likely offer it back to his sons first.  My plan is to put some money in to make it driveable and somewhat presentable, sell it then just reimburse my direct costs and give the original owner the balance.  I don't know the price of these things, but I would think I could get $5000 for the car as it sits given it's a 2-dr. 

Either way, it's distracting me from the Buicks so I need to get it out of the way.  I am amazed that I can buy any part, and I mean any part, for this car brand new!

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

With everything that's going on right now I'm not sure if and when I'll be able to make my road trip to South Bend and Auburn. Being optimistic about it I'm posting my "official" starting mileage. I plan to head west as long as there are hotels and restaurants operating along the way.

63EA57EB-B575-41D7-A521-60DF96D977AB_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm late to the game again....in 2020

I just purchased my new tires and had them mounted last week.........and the Buick is safe to drive again.

After working on the A/C this winter and checking and/or replacing all the hoses, belts, brakes, connections, bulbs, fluids etc. I took it on it's maiden voyage this year. Just around the block to blow off any dust. I put a bit over 50 miles on it and had no problems. Can't wait till I have a chance to drive it more.

Even though I've never had to call for a tow for the Buick since getting it back on the road in 2008, My wife wants me to not take it too far until the lock down / stay at home policy is over. After all I'm not even sure if the tow trucks are up and running.

Happy wife - Happy life

Good luck to all.

Bill

• Like 3

Was able to get the wagon out for the first real drive of the year. Beautiful day here so took advantage of it and went on an extended drive of 114 miles.  With all the virus talk and restrictions why not take advantage of the cheap gas prices and quarantine myself in a Buick. Besides, it’s big enough I can keep socially distant from my wife in the passenger seat!  😊

Will get to replacing the Electra’s heater core soon so it can join the party! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Thursday George and I ventured north of Lawton, OK to visit with a Granddaughter and her family.  About  180 miles round trip. Today added 80 or so driving about the North Texas countryside. About as isolated as one can get.

Ben

• Like 3

A nice Spring afternoon yesterday, so I decided to take Goldie out for a ride.  With what's going on now, the traffic was much lighter than normal on a Friday afternoon.  Stopped at Sylvan Beach and only saw a few people fishing (widely separated...).

image.thumb.png.8df1777254889ba39e0f78a87d0eea96.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2020 at 6:56 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Now THAT's a challenge!  Will be fun to watch! 

WAY behind schedule with all the craziness, got a miles update...500 so far ...

april4.jpg

75600 miles.jpg

Edited by gungeey
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

WAY behind schedule with all the craziness, got a miles update...500 so far ...

april4.jpg

75600 miles.jpg

Nice progress, and great picture!  I love those 140 MPH speedometers! 

Posted (edited)

My 1991 Roadmaster Estate Wagon turned over 250,000 miles today.  I bought it with 103,000 miles on it in 2008.  It has been to the BCA Nationals in Flint, MI (2008), Colorado Springs, CO (2009), Aimes, (2010), Concord, NC (2012), and Midwest City, OK (2019) where it won an Archival award. The 305 ci (5.0 Liter) engine and transmission have had no major repairs, and the interior is still very presentable.

249999 Miles.jpeg

250000 Miles.jpeg

20140806_201801.jpg

Edited by TxBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fueled up this one today:  1st recording of about 100 miles towards the goal!

20200419_125646.thumb.jpg.0b49da41f17edbae8ad1c495363be208.jpg

• Like 4

Took this one for gas today.  128 miles since the beginning of the year. I'll clock in at 225 miles between the 3 of them so far. 

20200425_140757.thumb.jpg.a7cf75324295faf62e83ac0a2b79b7ec.jpg

Was a fun drive through the hills of our town and wound up next to the rails.  The engineer tooted the train's horn when he saw I was taking pictures.   😁

20200425_134442.thumb.jpg.b42d1073151356e646854e6076996ec2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

George whimpered and whined until I took him out again today.  1481422416_IMG_6133(1).thumb.JPG.168c9c8ae14aabff1a29e54a4c6901bd.JPG 

Some of what Texas is known for.IMG_6136.thumb.JPG.ea7949d5c2fba16cb7e299953b14ca28.JPG

Archer county Court House.IMG_6138.thumb.JPG.79aee865dd5d48c704c2f9d82b106dc4.JPG

The other way.

IMG_6141.thumb.JPG.8cb43c2d1f7cc8fb4a383c7a7e300519.JPG

Difficult to see mileage.  Total so far is 815.  Have to get with it!

Ben

• Like 5

Added 140 more on the Queen. Total for now 365. 

20200521_143926.thumb.jpg.68c0ef25f1fd97ead77103e3ae8058db.jpg

Picked up some lunch to go on the way back home.

20200521_124101.thumb.jpg.03a6144831868340241e0a75f466779e.jpg

• Like 3

I haven't even backed the car out of the garage since I posted the odometer photo back in March. All gassed up and no place to go. Needless to say my trip to South Bend and Auburn is off until next year. Maybe I'll add the National Meet in Ohio to my route next year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ted sweet said:

with no shows or cruise nights i will be lucky to hit 500

It will be a challenge this year.  However one side benefit for now is the lack of traffic on the local roads.  It has been nice to get out with the cars and not be tailgated or unsafely passed, and then robbed at the gas pump. 

There may not be any cruise ins but there are plenty of evenings to go for a cruise. After all, every car was originally built to be driven.  And we all know the damage stagnated vehicles face. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

It will be a challenge this year.  However one side benefit for now is the lack of traffic on the local roads.  It has been nice to get out with the cars and not be tailgated or unsafely passed, and then robbed at the gas pump. 

Challenging year is right John...

However, to your statement above, since our P M has started to open a few things up some the traffic volume in town is more like it was back in February. Maybe it is lighter out in the County but with Chryslers going back into production this week will bet the commuters are hitting the bricks anxious for that full pay cheque again. (can't blame them for that)

As to the driving habit's I've experienced...

I missed the memo stating that the Rules of the Road during this pandemic have been rescinded like stopping fully at stop signs or red lights, totally ignoring the speed limits, cutting across three lanes (at high speed last minute) and other infractions!

Panic stops are suggesting I need to do a brake inspection!

I'm sure I sound like Wendy Whiner here but the gas prices are going up!

Four weeks ago I paid 63 cents per litre for regular and finally had to fill up again this week.

It was 93.9 per litre yesterday! The 75 bucks it cost me only put just over half a tank in my F-150  where it only cost me 68 dollars to get a full tank last time!

And the price of a barrel is at what?

Collusion and gouging isn't dead yet!~

Now, if I can just get back to the Special...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1