29 DODGE DISTRIBUTOR REBUILD

stakeside

While checking my distributor on my DA-6 noticed heavy grease buildup around the centrifugal weights. This could be my problem while using my accelerator. The engine stalls going from idle.

Is there any reference material on these pot metal distributors? They look pretty fragile to rebuild?

6EE7B73D-83EF-4A25-8D71-DA3D56B141A0.thumb.jpeg.c8daf5d2e3a89c84f026e3ae36667a30.jpeg

My 27 Sedan had the same problem with the pot metal.  In about 2003, I found a gentleman thru DBC, from PA.  who at that time was casting the bases  out of aluminum.  I can't find my purchase form, but maybe if you look at our roster, he may still be doing this.  His name I believe was Dan Kerr.   Good luck!!  27 Dodger  Chuck

There are two bushings in that distributor housing a upper and lower. They should fit to the shaft with .0005” to .001” clearance. You need them fit correctly otherwise the shaft will wobble around and point gap and timing will be erratic. The tricky part is fitting both of them to the correct clearance and perfectly in line with each other. Once you get new bushings installed I’d recommend finding a machine shop with a Sunnen hone and mandrel that spans both bushings. They can hone both at the same time to the clearance required ,insuring there perfectly in line.