'36 Dodge Business Coupe questions

Lionrider

Hello

I leave in France (Europe) and I own a 36 Business Coupe which I would like to bring back in absolutely original condition.  

First of all I want to mount the original headlights again. I finally found all the parts to it, but I'm not sure if it's all correct.
Can anyone give me photos of the reflector and the mounting?

Kind regards - Martin

IMG_2879.JPG

Edited by Lionrider (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Yours has been converted to sealed beams.

If you now have all the parts the original buckets will look like the ones in Vipers posting.

Not sure if you will be able to make the lights original with these buckets that are on the car now.

How the assembly attaches to the car does look to be different but the reflector and lens I believe is correct.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Yours has been converted to sealed beams.

If you now have all the parts the original buckets will look like the ones in Vipers posting.

Not sure if you will be able to make the lights original with these buckets that are on the car now.

How the assembly attaches to the car does look to be different but the reflector and lens I believe is correct.

Yes, i have now all the needed parts, but i'm sure that the buckets are the original ones.

I have found this photo from a other '36 Coupe:

HPIM9256.thumb.jpg.8d593c50e9f2e7b8354acb34c1d8d56c.jpg

And this is my bucket:

IMG_5392.thumb.JPG.0a9fc8fe9005e80f44a18f8de1daa366.JPG

38 minutes ago, Lionrider said:

Thats realy crazy! There are so many different buckets in the same year in the same company!

This one is from a '36 Dodge Sedan:

IMG_2967.thumb.jpg.73fd84b42b66579325949bb73080515a.jpg

and this one from a '36 Desoto:

B1E454DC-3C92-447E-9568-13F2D0E759D8.jpeg.004cb447dcab51ac5da0992018eccfdc.thumb.jpg.a8235d6d8b60f8c2e9874aff25c3e5de.jpg

No, this one is not from a Dodge. It's definitely off of a '36 Plymouth. This headlight mounts to the fender, alongside the grille. Dodge headlights mount to the sides of the grille shell. Also, the mounts for this headlight have the three horizontal raised stripes, a chevron, of sorts, on the front. That little embellishment marks it as having come originally on a '36 Plymouth model P2.

'36 Plymouth:

cc-33-097-1000-466x350.jpg

'36 Dodge:

1936-dodge-grill-complete-emblem_1_c5f347ad4ee2ba8e917f418c4d7abe22.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

No, this one is not from a Dodge. It's definitely off of a '36 Plymouth. This headlight mounts to the fender, alongside the grille. Dodge headlights mount to the sides of the grille shell. Also, the mounts for this headlight have the three horizontal raised stripes, a chevron, of sorts, on the front. That little embellishment marks it as having come originally on a '36 Plymouth model P2.

Thank you for the correction and explanation. 👍

Yup, that to one is definitely a P2.  The mounting and stanchion are different, but I believe the rest of the bucket is the same, including the way the headlight mounts into it.  I agree that tires have been converted to sealed beam.  Looks like your missing the springs that hold the riteway lenses in.  I don't believe they would be used with a sealed beam conversion.  I've never done it, so I could be wrong on that.  Just my guess.

If the headlamp buckets are, in fact, exactly the same for the P1/P2 and my D2 I will be very, very happy.  The buckets on my D2 are rusty inside, probably because they were off the car for some unknown period of time and collected water.  Also at some point turn signals were mounted to the top of each bucket.

Meanwhile, I have a pair of excellent headlight stands and buckets from a P1.  They  were converted to sealed beams but are in much better condition than my D2 buckets.

I'll have to put the two parts side-by-side for a close examination.

The P1 parts:

IMG_0736.JPG

1 hour ago, Pete in PA said:

If the headlamp buckets are, in fact, exactly the same for the P1/P2 and my D2 I will be very, very happy.  The buckets on my D2 are rusty inside, probably because they were off the car for some unknown period of time and collected water.  Also at some point turn signals were mounted to the top of each bucket.

Meanwhile, I have a pair of excellent headlight stands and buckets from a P1.  They  were converted to sealed beams but are in much better condition than my D2 buckets.

I'll have to put the two parts side-by-side for a close examination.

The P1 parts:

IMG_0736.JPG

No, 36 Plymouth buckets and Dodge buckets are different. Although they are the same diameter and use the same lens and internal parts, the Plymouth mounts at the bottom and the Dodge mounts from the side. As I recall, there is a screw at the bottom of the buckets which hold everything in place. This screw would be in different positions on the two buckets since they mount differently. I'm also pretty sure the Plymouth bucket has a bigger depression where the stand mounts to the headlight. Another smaller difference is the Plymouth uses a very thin outer stainless trim ring while the Dodge stainless ring is wider.

• Like 1

Oh well....  It was a happy thought while it lasted.  Now I don't need to make a trip to the Dodge Garage this weekend.

While my D2 buckets aren't terrible, the P1/P2 parts are much better. 

At some point I'll need to track down all the parts to convert my headlights back to 1936 spec.  The sealed beams may work better but they just destroy the beauty of that D2 front end.  They gotta go!

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...