Looking for spring clip fabricator for early windshield

E_Johnson

I am looking for an individual or company that can fabricate the spring steel clips shown in the photos below.

Any referrals would be greatly appreciated.

The clips are for a brass Troy windshield.  The clips keep the windshield in either the fully upright position or in the folded down position.

I can provide original but rough examples, drawings and photos of the clips.

Thank you.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9 IHC Troy windhshield.jpg

• Like 1

My suggestion is for you to purchase the proper spring steel flat bar from McMaster Carr , build a tool to hold the plate and a simple die to allow you to bend it into place, then finish forming your sporing and drill the mounting hole.  Lastly determine the temp and cooling time to temper the spring steel, (to make a spring out of it) and you will have exactly the replacement springs you need to make you nice brass Troy windshield safe to run again.

Al

Thank you for the replies.

I inquired on behalf of my father - he doesn't use the computer.

Neither of us has the talent to make the clips and, unfortunately, an extremely talented local resource who could have very easily reproduced them recently passed away.

I'll contact NC Coil as well as some spring firms listed on the internet.

The windshield is for a 1910 IHC Model F roadster (four cylinder and pneumatic tires) which my father has owned for 69 years.  Original equipment was a Troy windshield which was removed when the car was originally sold in order to lower the price.  Troy windshields are not very common and my father was finally able to obtain one.  My dad currently has a Rands windshield on the car but he just finished restoring the Troy but still needs the clips.

• Like 1

Here you go.

The car currently has a Rands windshield as I posted earlier although the filler board is correct for a Troy.

1910 IHC Model F roadster.  418 manufactured, during 1910-11 model years.  A handful survive in various condition and states of completeness.

Four cylinder, air-cooled engine with overhead camshaft and hemispherical combustion chambers.  Two speeds forward with a massive, leather-faced cone clutch.  The 1911 models had a three speed transmission.

The rear seat is detachable and a trunk can be put in its place.  My father also has the original the trunk for the car.  This is the only known surviving Model F roadster with a two passenger rear seat.  Two surviving roadsters have a single "mother in law seat" as shown in original sales literature and the remainder have trunks.

IHC also manufactured a high-wheel version of this car, the 1911 Model G.  Very few were made and there is one surviving example that is in the possession of the Henry Ford Museum (see second photo).

A water cooled version of the Model F roadster was also manufactured, the 1911 Model K, two of which survive.

1910 IHC Model F roadster.JPG

1911 IHC Model G.png

Edited by E_Johnson (see edit history)