Buick35

old car dreams

I just woke up from a nice afternoon nap after dreaming I had an old car stashed away in a corner of a building that I forgot I had. I was disappointed to realize it was only a dream.That has happened to me more than once. Anybody had similar dreams?Greg.

• Haha 1

I had a dream where I was in the rear seat of a sedan behind the driver as we pulled up to a parts store. I tried to exit the car and could not for the life of me pull my feet out from the floor area. I looked down to see a bunch of trash like McDonald's wrappers and such covering my feet. I kept pulling and pulling and could not free my feet. I woke up and our cat was sleeping on my feet!

• Haha 4

No but I forgot where parked a Renault Dauphine in one of the Carolinas. Didn't look very hard.

Posted (edited)

I had what seemed like a very realistic dream maybe a year ago,  that I was back in my Hometown where I lived till I was about 30 and had some pretty neat cars then and was taking each one out for a drive,  but they were stored all over town in the dream and I couldn't remember exactly where they all were.  Of course the dream was that I had them all at once.  It was one of those dreams that was so realistic that you could swear when you woke up it was really happening.  Never did figure out where they all were. 

I used to have a recurring dream when I was in my teens that I wrecked a black 57 chevy 2 door on a dark windy road in the rain.  Strange as I never had one and this was in the late 80's. I'm pretty sure it was even before i was old enough to drive.    Same road same dream.  Atleast 3 different times.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

After we moved back to New Orleans, I dreamed several times that I had left behind several Citroen DS-21 Station wagons and Pallas sedans in back alley garages near the University (VCU - Virginia Commonwealth Univ.) and Fan District of Richmond, Virginia. While getting one of them from the old garages, I'd wake up - still glad that we had 3 wagons, a sedan, SM, 2-CV, and the Ami-6. That was back in the late 1970s

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

My favorite car dream was one a friend shared.  In 81 or 82 he bought a 79 Z28 replacing an real bad boy 70 chevelle ss 396. He liked the new car but had some concerns it might not be the street car the chevelle was (yep, not even close). He had a dream that he raced his camaro and beat it, just with his running shoes! 😁

I have had dreams of racing my old 1968 Plymouth Road Runner. Every time I romp on the gas, I wake up to a bad leg cramp!

Picture 26352.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, padgett said:

No but I forgot where parked a Renault Dauphine in one of the Carolinas. Didn't look very hard.

Hi padget,If I come across the Renault can I have it? I had a 60 in high school,paid $50 for it.Greg.

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 4:47 PM, padgett said:

My 1958 Renault Dauphine was great in New Jersey's snow, and a ball to drive when Ice Racing on frozen lakes.

It apparently blew the headgasket, overheated, and died on the Wurtzboro Hill of the NY Quickway (Roue 17) while returning home from a winter weekend gig with my band at a resort hotel in New York's Catskill Mountains. It cost me $20 to get it towed to a junkyard, and the wrecker driver bought it from me for $10

Edited by Marty Roth
Typo (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I just woke up from a nice afternoon nap after dreaming I had an old car stashed away in a corner of a building that I forgot I had. I was disappointed to realize it was only a dream.That has happened to me more than once. Anybody had similar dreams?Greg.

I've absolutely had dreams like that...more than once. It's been several years since the last dream, but the cars in it (that I remember) were a 1968 Pontiac LeMans 2 door hardtop, and the same year of Dodge Charger, though I think there were others, too. My brother actually owned the LeMans 40+ years ago, and he and I were joint owners of the Charger a little after that, but I was the sole owner of both cars in the dream. The cars were in much better shape in the dream than in real life (though not perfect) and they were stored in a garage that I'd forgotten I'd had. I've also had dreams about houses that I'd forgotten I owned. And several dreams about my old store still being in business, either under new ownership or with me going back into business.

I've had a recurring dream where I'm riding with my dad in a red 1957 Chevrolet on the Adirondack Northway from the area where the pine tree aroma is everywhere to the turn where Prospect Mountain is no longer directly in front of you. 

I've had it several times over a period of more than 20 years. 

Weird thing is that I almost never rode with my dad, never in that area...mom always drove in all Lake George trips, and we've never been able to afford a cool old car. 

I would guess it represents everything I've lost but the first time I had it, he was still alive. I want to say the first time I had it was around 1998 or 99, and cancer took him in 2002. I've had it three or four times since. I also lost my favorite place in the world in Lake George, and when I lost my dad I lost any real chance of having an old car. 

Well, I think this dream will probably take the cake,  I had it last night, and I'll warn you in advance, I have very realistic and detailed dreams.  In this dream I was reading the AACA Forums and came upon a post about a 1964 Corvair that had two antennas on the rear drivers fender, one in front of the other, maybe a foot apart.  There was a nice photo of an older red Corvair in driver condition with the aforesaid antennas in plain view.  The owner was wondering about this strange installation - which he claimed to appear to have been done at the factory - and was asking about it.  The response to the post immediately caught my eye.  This second poster replied that they had first hand experience with the two antenna phenomenon and proceeded to explain that the second antenna indicated that someone high up at the dealership where the car was purchased was a cannibal.  (I warned you)  There was a very convincing explanation of why this strange theory was absolutely true.  As in all dreams - especially mine, it seems - the explanation made perfect sense at the time, but I can't for the life of me remember why.  At any rate, further posts agreed with the cannibal explanation and provided  stories of how their father worked at a dealership and knew about this dark fact but was afraid to tell, that their uncle confirmed it, and so on.  Finally, the last post came up with a "reasonable" explanation for the second antenna (don't they always?).  This member confidently wrote that the second antenna was installed in cars with the then new FM radio, and that the AM antenna would not pick up the FM signal correctly and the FM antenna was there for proper reception.  He posted factory photographs showing the installation of the "special" FM receiver box that was bolted in a special bracket above the driver side door and hidden by the headliner.  He explained that all Corvairs had this bracket, FM receiver or not, and that if you peeled back the headliner you would find it.  He also posted a second factory photo that showed an elaborate wire FM antenna snaked through the entire roof of the car and also hidden by the headliner.  This seemed to make perfect sense in the dream, despite the fact that if the FM antenna was in the roof, why was it necessary to install the second antenna on the rear fender?  I woke up before that disturbing contradiction became apparent.  I think this dream has two possible explanations - one, my subconscious has a very active, and perhaps, disturbing imagination, or - two, I'm spending entirely too much time on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So I guess you could say that the cars with the cannibal dealers could be called Meals on Wheels? 

• Like 1

"I come across the Renault can I have it?" Sure just be aware that it was in the early 70's and had a cracked block (why I did not look very hard). $50 sounds about right.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 10:33 AM, Taylormade said:

Well, I think this dream will probably take the cake,  I had it last night, and I'll warn you in advance, I have very realistic and detailed dreams.  In this dream I was reading the AACA Forums and came upon a post about a 1964 Corvair that had two antennas on the rear drivers fender, one in front of the other, maybe a foot apart.  There was a nice photo of an older red Corvair in driver condition with the aforesaid antennas in plain view.  The owner was wondering about this strange installation - which he claimed to appear to have been done at the factory - and was asking about it.  The response to the post immediately caught my eye.  This second poster replied that they had first hand experience with the two antenna phenomenon and proceeded to explain that the second antenna indicated that someone high up at the dealership where the car was purchased was a cannibal.  (I warned you)  There was a very convincing explanation of why this strange theory was absolutely true.  As in all dreams - especially mine, it seems - the explanation made perfect sense at the time, but I can't for the life of me remember why.  At any rate, further posts agreed with the cannibal explanation and provided  stories of how their father worked at a dealership and knew about this dark fact but was afraid to tell, that their uncle confirmed it, and so on.  Finally, the last post came up with a "reasonable" explanation for the second antenna (don't they always?).  This member confidently wrote that the second antenna was installed in cars with the then new FM radio, and that the AM antenna would not pick up the FM signal correctly and the FM antenna was there for proper reception.  He posted factory photographs showing the installation of the "special" FM receiver box that was bolted in a special bracket above the driver side door and hidden by the headliner.  He explained that all Corvairs had this bracket, FM receiver or not, and that if you peeled back the headliner you would find it.  He also posted a second factory photo that showed an elaborate wire FM antenna snaked through the entire roof of the car and also hidden by the headliner.  This seemed to make perfect sense in the dream, despite the fact that if the FM antenna was in the roof, why was it necessary to install the second antenna on the rear fender?  I woke up before that disturbing contradiction became apparent.  I think this dream has two possible explanations - one, my subconscious has a very active, and perhaps, disturbing imagination, or - two, I'm spending entirely too much time on this forum.

Could be the meds.

I have strange dreams when I have a late pizza.

I wake up thinking that I will certainly remember this, then the next day all I remember is that I was going to remember.

• Haha 1

Just last night I had a very strange dream. 

My father and I were sitting in a diner looking out the window at the pair of cars we had apparently arrived in; a small brass era something that I cannot exactly identify (the size of a hup 20, but not one) and an absolutely stunning Duesenberg SJ phaeton. We were having the worst argument ever. Mind you, my father is the most even tempered man alive and in my 39 years we have never had any form of fight in reality... but in my dream we were saying things that would, perhaps should, bring any man to fists. It seemed to go on and on in bashing verbal abuse to one another and pointless circular arguments, all of it concerning who got to drive what next. 

Nobody wanted stuck in the “modern” car. 

I dreamed I die in my sleep just like my grand father, at least it wasn’t like the rest of the people in his car! 

Have fun

Dave S 

Posted (edited)

I used to have a recurrent dream and sort of miss it. I was driving the green Duesenberg J Phaeton down a two lane country road. The top was up and lightly drumming above my head. The temperature was about 80-85 degrees with a fabulous breeze coming in. The sunlight was reflecting in a mottled pattern on the hood. Sounds of the engine were rumbling in my ears. Oh, what a great dream! Oddly, every time I had the dream I would drive a new Classic car within just a few days. One Memorial Day, I was asked by the director of the Gilmore Car Museum to drive a car in a pair of local parades. The parade car was a 1934 Packard 12 Phaeton. As I was driving from the first parade to the second I found myself looking down the long dark green hood of the Packard. It hit me like a thunderclap; I was in the dream! It wasn't the Duesenberg but every other part of the dream matched exactly. Sadly, and rather ironically, I never have had the dream again.

parfet packard.png

Edited by ericmac (see edit history)
  • Like 1