65 Riv - removal/access to back of heater control assembly

moran75

Hi and happy NY

At some point soon I’ll need to get to the back of the heater/ACcontrol assembly to check/repair vacuum hoses and cables etc.

A previous reconnaissance mission suggested access from front consol won’t work as not enough room to twist unit or pull out completely?

removing dash pad was next thought but radio would be in the way? Or maybe going in from the side some how ?

Learning from any previous experience out there would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance

Kev

Hi Kevin,

Your most reasonable option is to remove the fasteners which secure the control assembly, push the control head forward and turn sideways to get a view and access to the rear of the control head. It is tight and difficult work. Do your homework ahead of time otherwise the sight of the sphagetti bowl of vacuum lines and wiring/cables can appear overwhelming. Hopefully, you wont be in there long!

There is another path which I have used when it became apparent I would spend a substantial amount of time working on the HVAC system. One can leave the control head in place and remove or slide rearward the console shell as a whole. This path is obviously time consuming and has its own downsides but when doing a substantial amount of work/troubleshooting in this area it makes working in this area much less frustrating.

Which method I choose depends upon how much time I anticipate spending on the job.

Good luck!

Tom

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Where in the service manual does it tell you how to properly R and R the control assembly? The index in this manual leaves a lot to be desired.

I am trying to get my heater to work properly and have traced out all the vacuum lines on the engine side. There are 2 red lines but neither seem to have any vacuum. Now I need to dig into the passenger side. I will be removing my seats soon for upholstery. If I have to remove the console, I would wait until then.

Edited by Rockable (see edit history)

Ok. I figured out that I had to remove the console or at least scoot it back. I found the vacuum supply line that feeds the heater control valve disconnected from the tee I tested that line and it is solid with no leaks. So, I reconnected it but that still did not give me vacuum to the hot water control valve, which has been tested and works.

So, I started trying to test the disc valve that controls heater function with a hand pump and tried to determine if vacuum was getting from port 2 to 3. It doesn't seem to be. Do these disc valves go bad? Can they be repaired? I would like to know before I remove this and try to tear into it.

This is a 65 Riviera.

Thanks

Rock

Edited by Rockable (see edit history)