63 Riviera

Stuart57

It is the track bar bushings. A common problem on the 1st gen. Riv due to age and original bushing design.

Easy to get new bushings (a set for about $25) that you can put in yourself.

Get the polygraphite ones from P-S-T: 

https://p-s-t.com/i-23160475-polygraphite-rear-track-bar-bushing-set.html

I don't know why they do not have the '63 or '64 Riviera listed as fitting; they do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

It is the track bar bushings. A common problem on the 1st gen. Riv due to age and original bushing design.

Easy to get new bushings (a set for about $25) that you can put in yourself.

Get the polygraphite ones from P-S-T: 

https://p-s-t.com/i-23160475-polygraphite-rear-track-bar-bushing-set.html

I don't know why they do not have the '63 or '64 Riviera listed as fitting; they do.

Thanks Jim, I'll check out the postage to Australia

2 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Tom, curious I believe I had my track bar bushing pressed in. I know the worn bushing was pressed out. Can the bushing be put in by hand hammer?

turbinator

Hi Bob,

Probably can be done, especially if one warmed up the end of the track bar, but not the way I would do it. I have a large vise which I use which is not much different than using a press. My guys at the local auto parts store still have their press and would probably do it for me for free so shouldnt be expensive, VERY easy job at the press,

Tom

35 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Tom, curious I believe I had my track bar bushing pressed in. I know the worn bushing was pressed out. Can the bushing be put in by hand hammer?

turbinator

Bob,

I know the track bar bushings can be put in and removed by hand as I have done it. We changed the bushings in my car in the garage of my brother-in-laws friend when we drove out to Colorado Springs for the 2014 ROA Convention. They were the poly bushings and with the supplied grease slipped in fairly easily if I remember correctly. The hard part was cold chiseling the metal sleeve of the old bushings out of the track bar. 

Bill

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Bob,

I know the track bar bushings can be put in and removed by hand as I have done it. We changed the bushings in my car in the garage of my brother-in-laws friend when we drove out to Colorado Springs for the 2014 ROA Convention. They were the poly bushings and with the supplied grease slipped in fairly easily if I remember correctly. The hard part was cold chiseling the metal sleeve of the old bushings out of the track bar. 

Bill

Bill, you remembered 100%.

An easy way to change the bushings.   If you notice the original rubber have like "vent" holes in the middle.  Use a serrated knife & cut them out.  Like the old Shell Gasoline steak knifes.   Take your hacksaw blade out & put the blade in the housing of the old bushing.  Hook the blade back up to your hacksaw & cut away.   Once you have gone thru the steel sleeve it will mostly pop right out.

Tom T.

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bob,

Probably can be done, especially if one warmed up the end of the track bar, but not the way I would do it. I have a large vise which I use which is not much different than using a press. My guys at the local auto parts store still have their press and would probably do it for me for free so shouldnt be expensive, VERY easy job at the press,

Tom

Tom, thanks for taking the time to confirm what zi thought. I got the track bar off easy enough. I looked at how rusted the thing appeared know it was going to be a rough go by hand. I took the track bar to a friend’s small engine shop. My friend pressed the bushing out and put the replacement bushing in. N/c.

1 minute ago, telriv said:

An easy way to change the bushings.   If you notice the original rubber have like "vent" holes in the middle.  Use a serrated knife & cut them out.  Like the old Shell Gasoline steak knifes.   Take your hacksaw blade out & put the blade in the housing of the old bushing.  Hook the blade back up to your hacksaw & cut away.   Once you have gone thru the steel sleeve it will mostly pop right out.

Tom T.

Tom most stuff I work on never “pops out.” Your tip is well received for use on another project. Thanks again.

Turbinator

The rubber ones would (theoretically) perform as original.  The poly bushings would hold the rear axle more precisely, however, would also transmit more energy to the frame (and ultimately to the cabin).  Unless you're upgrading the other suspension bushings for ultimate handling (i.e., poly everywhere else), I'd probably stick with the OEM replacement type.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Just curious as to what the advantages are of rubber over poly? 

The poly track bar bushings hold the axel more precisely in the rear, over the coil springs, to give better lateral stability (handling), especially at higher speed. That's the purpose of the track bar.

I have had numerous 1st gen. Riv. owners comment to me, after installing the poly bushings back on the track bar, as I suggested here, that they were AMAZED at how much better the car handled, how much more stable it felt on the road. Of course, this is compared to worn out original rubber bushings.

The poly bushings are MUCH easier to install than the rubber ones. The hardest part is getting the old bushing sleeves out of the track bar.

The Poly bushings cost less.

Poly bushings did not exist for cars in '63 (were not used by OEM).

IMHO, the poly track bar bushings are much better than rubber.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 12:13 AM, Jim Cannon said:

No, one set does the one track bar.

This bar runs left-right between rear axel and chassis.

Thanks Jim, just got the track bar bushings (poly as you advised) and put them in, WOW what a difference ! It handles like a new one.

9 hours ago, Stuart57 said:

Thanks Jim, just got the track bar bushings (poly as you advised) and put them in, WOW what a difference ! It handles like a new one.

Yes. Your experience is consistent with mine and with every other 1st gen. Riv owner I have heard from that has installed these bushings in their car. Glad I could help.