1953 Exhaust install RM V8

Installing the exhaust system on my 53, the car came with an exhaust system it looks like it should fit. I hope it is for this car and it can be used.  My question is the pipe at the inlet hits the frame. I had one from a parts car, it cleaned up nice and I was going to use it, but it rested against the frame on the right side pass through it would not take much to make it clear.  I tried another pipe that came with the car after I realized it was for this car it will fit but the contact is much worse.  The new system has no part numbers.  I installed the muffler flat this looks correct to me. The other question is the tail pipe outlet should it line up with the right frame rail. I can make a pipe clear the pass through easy enough if needed.  I do have some adjustment on the tail pipe before it is clamped in place. Does anyone have a picture or two of their exhaust systems or ideas regarding the install. I have a few pictures attached. 

Thanks 

Steve 

pipe muffler front.jpg

tail pipe body removed.jpg

tail pipe front hanger.jpg

Thanks Willie, I have twisted and turned pipes and even tried two different pipes and never could  the clearance needed. The new pipe would not fit it was not even close. I ended up using a good used pipe and making a little modification. I now have plenty of clearance at the pass through and along the frame.  I believe the header pipe is not correct but this little change on the pipe to muffler did the job.  

Steve   

exhaust mod 4.jpg

exhaust pipe mod 1.jpg

exhaust mod 2.jpg

exhaust 3.jpg

• Like 2

I ran into the same issue with the pipe before the muffler. No matter how I spun the pipe it simple would not work. I reused the original pipe which is in excellent shape anyway. My 54 had a Monroe muffler which was fine but not correct. I replaced with the huge muffler installed originally.  The sound when running the large muffler is night and day.  Just a nice low burbling at the tailpipe. 

Nice work on the modification! 

• Like 2

Thanks, for the comets I almost used the big fine hammer for the modification it would have been easier.

I have one more question on the exhaust system. The hanger over the differential, Buick calls this #3 hanger in parts figure. I have no examples of the hanger for comparison in my treasures. I do have one from a 54 Roadmaster and it is ready for use if it is correct. I have attached a picture with the holes that are available in the frame the 54 uses a hole closer to center of the chassis. This is position #2 in the photo. When I look at the view provided by Buick, I tend to believe 53-used position #1 for the hanger. My parts book stops in 53 is this the same hanger in 54? Why does the 53 frame have 2 threaded holes in this area?

Little detail questions inspection plate for torque converter is this just a flat plate with no stiffening ribs, is it black? I will most likely fabricate one. I have never seen on still with a car. The cover to access the torque converter, the examples I have had no paint was it painted at all.  

Thanks

Steve

exhast hangre x member.jpg

cover Dynaflow.jpg

inspection cover dynaflow.jpg