Actual Plymouth Pickup

Not mine. I have no idea if this is a good deal or not, and I don't know anything about these, but I thought someone here might have interest in something unique like this. From this one picture I saw, it doesn't look to be a rust bucket. It's in Iowa.

RARE 1941 Plymouth 1/2 Ton Pickup Project - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle automotive sale

01010_gO4cwJkpanK_1200x900.jpg

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mikefit said:

Just looked at the picture the 2 Plymouth p u  must have been older as the head lights were mounted from the radiator and not the fenders

1937 and 1938 Dodge were both radiator mounted, I had a 1937 Dodge pu.  I believe Plymouth used the same mounting in those years.

Nice truck.

And they were a low number build.

With the VIN you can do a search and it is possible to get the build card.

The nose piece is similar to a Fargo which were the same from 39-47.

The stainless strips on the grill bars are the same for Fargo.

All the parts one would need for a restoration are available from any supplier of 39-47 Dodge truck parts.

Except the hood badges and the vertical stainless strip down the center of the grill.

In saying that I would almost bet that vertical piece is the same as a Fargo just the badge is different.

There have been a few Plymouth trucks for sale up this way.

Probably the rarest piece with your truck and almost impossible to find is that original tailgate.

That was the first thing to get tossed or placed in the barn or garage that never saw daylight again. 

So for that price it is fair and a good candidate for restoration.

By the way track down Eric Bannerman on here.

He can probably give you some good intel from the VIN.

Also I highly recommend his book.

Good Luck

Edited by dodgebrother (see edit history)

Easy friend, I was making a little joke.

There are often postings of cars for sale here that are posted because a member thinks that there may be interest.

I doubt the seller would have problems with that.

Bored?  No, I was looking at the truck and read the ad.

I presume those pods in front of the doors would've been front turn signals. I just thought: Wouldn't they have been aftermarket in '41? Interesting someone would've robbed the truck of the lenses and bulbs off the signals rather than the whole signals themselves.

But then I googled images and found the pods on all the trucks I saw. Weren't factory turn signals uncommon on 1941 vehicles? Especially pickup trucks?

This 1941 Plymouth PT-125 pickup represents the last of its breed; Plymouth would never again produce a genuine truck. See more classic truck pictures.

I just noticed that '41 Plymouth cars had turn signals, too. Chevy and Ford cars from that year have them too, but I don't think Chevy and Ford trucks do.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

For Dodge, Fargo and Plymouth trucks 1939 - 1947.

Those are called cowl lights and acted more like park lights then signal lights.

No cowl lights in 39 & 40.

For 39-40 headlights on fenders were inset on fenders and had small park lights on headlight bucket.

Headlights went to center of fender and cowl lights added starting 1941 through to 1947.

That is a really nice green Plymouth truck and the tailgate for sure is the best part.

One screw on the back of the cowl light gets everything inside.

the cowl light bucket is bolted to the inside of the cowl.

So the lenses and bulbs and ring are easy to disassemble.

In the original photo above it just looks like the lense and bulb are missing and probably got broken.

Edited by dodgebrother (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dodgebrother said:

Those are called cowl lights and acted more like park lights then signal lights.

For 39-40 headlights on fenders were inset on fenders and had small park lights on headlight bucket.

Headlights went to center of fender and cowl lights added starting 1941 through to 1947.

That is a really nice green Plymouth truck and the tailgate for sure is the best part.

In the original photo above it just looks like the lense and bulb are missing and probably got broken.

Thanks for the education. I didn't think that signal lights were common back then, at least from the factory. No turn signal stalk, either.

14 hours ago, dodgebrother said:

Nice truck.

And they were a low number build.

With the VIN you can do a search and it is possible to get the build card.

The nose piece is similar to a Fargo which were the same from 39-47.

The stainless strips on the grill bars are the same for Fargo.

All the parts one would need for a restoration are available from any supplier of 39-47 Dodge truck parts.

Except the hood badges and the vertical stainless strip down the center of the grill.

In saying that I would almost bet that vertical piece is the same as a Fargo just the badge is different.

There have been a few Plymouth trucks for sale up this way.

Probably the rarest piece with your truck and almost impossible to find is that original tailgate.

That was the first thing to get tossed or placed in the barn or garage that never saw daylight again. 

So for that price it is fair and a good candidate for restoration.

By the way track down Eric Bannerman on here.

He can probably give you some good intel from the VIN.

Also I highly recommend his book.

Good Luck

Reproduction tail gates are available. we sold about 20 of them and they are excellent.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:04 PM, TerryB said:

1937 and 1938 Dodge were both radiator mounted, I had a 1937 Dodge pu.  I believe Plymouth used the same mounting in those years.

Yes, grill shell mounted in 37 & 38 - fender mounted after

14 hours ago, dodgebrother said:

I believe 39 parking lights were mounted in the headlight.  That wasn't possible with the introduction of sealed beams in 1940.  So they were placed in a small pod on top of the headlight bucket, then went to cowl lights in 41.

7 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

I believe 39 parking lights were mounted in the headlight.  That wasn't possible with the introduction of sealed beams in 1940.  So they were placed in a small pod on top of the headlight bucket, then went to cowl lights in 41.

My 39 woth low mount headlamps.

1939 Dodge Truck (27).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (29).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (31).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (21).JPG

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, countrytravler said:

My 39 woth low mount headlamps.

1939 Dodge Truck (27).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (29).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (31).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (21).JPG

Course that's a Dodge big truck, not a Plymouth pickup.  Anyway, those look like Guide lights, which were OEM on some big trucks and also available aftermarket.  I'd guess yours are the latter as they do not fit the fender stands well.  The turn signal switch also looks aftermarket.  The 40 Plymouth pickup lights are the same, or at least similar, so they may be one-year-only-OEM Guides used to transition to sealed beams.

6 hours ago, countrytravler said:

My 39 with hi mount headlamps with no turn signal.

1939 Dodge 2 ton Stake Truck (3).jpg

1939 Dodge 2 ton Stake Truck (7).jpg

Again, a big Dodge, not a Plymouth pickup.  Anyway, are those OEM sealed beams?  They look like aftermarket conversions.

The 37-41 Plymouth commercial vehicles, which includes pickups, were designated the PT (i.e., Plymouth Truck) series, followed by a number that indicates model year.  Pickup production:

PT50 (1937) - 10,709

PT57 (1938) - 4,620

PT81 (1939) – 6,181

PT105 (1940) – 6,879

PT125 (1941) – 6,073

Total - 34,462

I guess that makes them rare.  Course, being trucks, many led a hard life, were worn out, and got scrapped which makes them rarer still.  The bright spot is they're pretty much clones of Dodge and Fargo trucks so finding parts for the survivors might not be so difficult.  There also may be some interchangeability with passenger cars.  The unobtanium would be the year/make/model-specific trim, etc.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, classiccarjack said:

I have a 1938 PT57.  I need a hood, tailgate, and a grill.  I hope to get lucky this upcoming weekend at Turlock! 

I found nothing in Turlock for my projects.  However, my wife faired out well.  We found a set of rear fenders for her 1937 Plymouth Panel Truck and a functional aftermarket radio from the radioman.  

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 11:45 PM, countrytravler said:

I never said that these were Ply trucks. Plymouth only made 1l2 ton trucks. Nothing bigger. Actually, they were not half ton, 1/4 I believe. I was just showing examples.

In Canada, there were Fargo branded trucks, sold at Chrysler-Plymouth dealers.  There was a corresponding Fargo truck for every Dodge truck and van in every size and configuration up until 1972.

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

In Canada, there were Fargo branded trucks, sold at Chrysler-Plymouth dealers.  There was a corresponding Fargo truck for every Dodge truck and van in every size and configuration up until 1972.

Craig

Hi Craig,

I have known about this, and perhaps after I restore the two I have, I may consider looking into buying a Fargo.  It would be so cool to have all three brands with the same model lined up at a show for everyone to see and compare.

-Jack H.

6 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

Hi Craig,

I have known about this, and perhaps after I restore the two I have, I may consider looking into buying a Fargo.  It would be so cool to have all three brands with the same model lined up at a show for everyone to see and compare.

-Jack H.

And don't forget DeSoto.  DeSoto trucks were sold in South Africa, I believe in the 1960's, and in the Middle East well into the eighties.  One will also see 'DeSoto' on the data plate on a 1970's Dodge truck. 

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

And don't forget DeSoto.  DeSoto trucks were sold in South Africa, I believe in the 1960's, and in the Middle East well into the eighties.  One will also see 'DeSoto' on the data plate on a 1970's Dodge truck. 

Craig

I didn't know that one...  Hmmm your making my hobby more expensive!  LOL

I will look at my 1972 Dodge D100 to see if the data plate is there.  You have my curiosity up.

Thanks Craig for letting me know.