JamesR

Actual Plymouth Pickup

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Not mine. I have no idea if this is a good deal or not, and I don't know anything about these, but I thought someone here might have interest in something unique like this. From this one picture I saw, it doesn't look to be a rust bucket. It's in Iowa.

 

RARE 1941 Plymouth 1/2 Ton Pickup Project - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle automotive sale

 

 

01010_gO4cwJkpanK_1200x900.jpg

 

 

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plymouth pickups are indeed rare, I believe the first ones were 1937.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes 2 of the Plymouth picks showed up at our local car show last summer think 37or 38  neither the guys know each other at the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at the picture the 2 Plymouth p u  must have been older as the head lights were mounted from the radiator and not the fenders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mikefit said:

Just looked at the picture the 2 Plymouth p u  must have been older as the head lights were mounted from the radiator and not the fenders

1937 and 1938 Dodge were both radiator mounted, I had a 1937 Dodge pu.  I believe Plymouth used the same mounting in those years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 37 plymouth truck title. only one and yes, they are pretty rare.

 

dodges were abundant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nice truck.

And they were a low number build.

With the VIN you can do a search and it is possible to get the build card.

The nose piece is similar to a Fargo which were the same from 39-47.

The stainless strips on the grill bars are the same for Fargo.

All the parts one would need for a restoration are available from any supplier of 39-47 Dodge truck parts.

Except the hood badges and the vertical stainless strip down the center of the grill.

In saying that I would almost bet that vertical piece is the same as a Fargo just the badge is different.

There have been a few Plymouth trucks for sale up this way.

Probably the rarest piece with your truck and almost impossible to find is that original tailgate.

That was the first thing to get tossed or placed in the barn or garage that never saw daylight again. 

 

So for that price it is fair and a good candidate for restoration.

 

By the way track down Eric Bannerman on here.

He can probably give you some good intel from the VIN.

Also I highly recommend his book.

 

Good Luck

 

Edited by dodgebrother (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ad says he doesn't want any help selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who is offering to help sell it?

I just offered some comment to anyone looking at it.

What are you bored and just need to say something?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy friend, I was making a little joke.

There are often postings of cars for sale here that are posted because a member thinks that there may be interest.

I doubt the seller would have problems with that.

Bored?  No, I was looking at the truck and read the ad.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I presume those pods in front of the doors would've been front turn signals. I just thought: Wouldn't they have been aftermarket in '41? Interesting someone would've robbed the truck of the lenses and bulbs off the signals rather than the whole signals themselves.

But then I googled images and found the pods on all the trucks I saw. Weren't factory turn signals uncommon on 1941 vehicles? Especially pickup trucks?

 

 

This 1941 Plymouth PT-125 pickup represents the last of its breed; Plymouth would never again produce a genuine truck. See more classic truck pictures.

 

I just noticed that '41 Plymouth cars had turn signals, too. Chevy and Ford cars from that year have them too, but I don't think Chevy and Ford trucks do.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For Dodge, Fargo and Plymouth trucks 1939 - 1947.

Those are called cowl lights and acted more like park lights then signal lights.

No cowl lights in 39 & 40.

For 39-40 headlights on fenders were inset on fenders and had small park lights on headlight bucket.

Headlights went to center of fender and cowl lights added starting 1941 through to 1947.

 

That is a really nice green Plymouth truck and the tailgate for sure is the best part.

 

One screw on the back of the cowl light gets everything inside.

the cowl light bucket is bolted to the inside of the cowl.

So the lenses and bulbs and ring are easy to disassemble.

In the original photo above it just looks like the lense and bulb are missing and probably got broken.

Edited by dodgebrother (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This truck is at a salvage yard in Pella Iowa --- they are good people to deal with --- not sure if you can work on the price but I think it is pretty fair ---- he has many older trucks and cars --Ak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dodgebrother said:

For Dodge, Fargo and Plymouth trucks 1939 - 1947.

Those are called cowl lights and acted more like park lights then signal lights.

No cowl lights in 39 & 40.

For 39-40 headlights on fenders were inset on fenders and had small park lights on headlight bucket.

Headlights went to center of fender and cowl lights added starting 1941 through to 1947.

 

That is a really nice green Plymouth truck and the tailgate for sure is the best part.

 

One screw on the back of the cowl light gets everything inside.

the cowl light bucket is bolted to the inside of the cowl.

So the lenses and bulbs and ring are easy to disassemble.

In the original photo above it just looks like the lense and bulb are missing and probably got broken.

 

Thanks for the education. I didn't think that signal lights were common back then, at least from the factory. No turn signal stalk, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a Plymouth pickup like this around locally, being driven, restored but not entirely original, black. It was lowered some and with different wheels, but I wouldn't call it a hotrod. The body appeared unmolested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dodgebrother said:

Nice truck.

And they were a low number build.

With the VIN you can do a search and it is possible to get the build card.

The nose piece is similar to a Fargo which were the same from 39-47.

The stainless strips on the grill bars are the same for Fargo.

All the parts one would need for a restoration are available from any supplier of 39-47 Dodge truck parts.

Except the hood badges and the vertical stainless strip down the center of the grill.

In saying that I would almost bet that vertical piece is the same as a Fargo just the badge is different.

There have been a few Plymouth trucks for sale up this way.

Probably the rarest piece with your truck and almost impossible to find is that original tailgate.

That was the first thing to get tossed or placed in the barn or garage that never saw daylight again. 

 

So for that price it is fair and a good candidate for restoration.

 

By the way track down Eric Bannerman on here.

He can probably give you some good intel from the VIN.

Also I highly recommend his book.

 

Good Luck

 

Reproduction tail gates are available. we sold about 20 of them and they are excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2020 at 6:04 PM, TerryB said:

1937 and 1938 Dodge were both radiator mounted, I had a 1937 Dodge pu.  I believe Plymouth used the same mounting in those years.

 

 

Yes, grill shell mounted in 37 & 38 - fender mounted after

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dodgebrother said:

For Dodge, Fargo and Plymouth trucks 1939 - 1947.

Those are called cowl lights and acted more like park lights then signal lights.

No cowl lights in 39 & 40.

For 39-40 headlights on fenders were inset on fenders and had small park lights on headlight bucket.

Headlights went to center of fender and cowl lights added starting 1941 through to 1947.

 

That is a really nice green Plymouth truck and the tailgate for sure is the best part.

 

One screw on the back of the cowl light gets everything inside.

the cowl light bucket is bolted to the inside of the cowl.

So the lenses and bulbs and ring are easy to disassemble.

In the original photo above it just looks like the lense and bulb are missing and probably got broken.

 

 

I believe 39 parking lights were mounted in the headlight.  That wasn't possible with the introduction of sealed beams in 1940.  So they were placed in a small pod on top of the headlight bucket, then went to cowl lights in 41.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

 

 

I believe 39 parking lights were mounted in the headlight.  That wasn't possible with the introduction of sealed beams in 1940.  So they were placed in a small pod on top of the headlight bucket, then went to cowl lights in 41.

My 39 woth low mount headlamps.

1939 Dodge Truck (27).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (29).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (31).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (21).JPG

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, countrytravler said:

My 39 woth low mount headlamps.

1939 Dodge Truck (27).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (29).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (31).JPG

1939 Dodge Truck (21).JPG

 

Course that's a Dodge big truck, not a Plymouth pickup.  Anyway, those look like Guide lights, which were OEM on some big trucks and also available aftermarket.  I'd guess yours are the latter as they do not fit the fender stands well.  The turn signal switch also looks aftermarket.  The 40 Plymouth pickup lights are the same, or at least similar, so they may be one-year-only-OEM Guides used to transition to sealed beams.

 

 

6 hours ago, countrytravler said:

My 39 with hi mount headlamps with no turn signal.

1939 Dodge 2 ton Stake Truck (3).jpg

1939 Dodge 2 ton Stake Truck (7).jpg

 

Again, a big Dodge, not a Plymouth pickup.  Anyway, are those OEM sealed beams?  They look like aftermarket conversions.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The 37-41 Plymouth commercial vehicles, which includes pickups, were designated the PT (i.e., Plymouth Truck) series, followed by a number that indicates model year.  Pickup production:

 

PT50 (1937) - 10,709

PT57 (1938) - 4,620

PT81 (1939) – 6,181

PT105 (1940) – 6,879

PT125 (1941) – 6,073

Total - 34,462

 

I guess that makes them rare.  Course, being trucks, many led a hard life, were worn out, and got scrapped which makes them rarer still.  The bright spot is they're pretty much clones of Dodge and Fargo trucks so finding parts for the survivors might not be so difficult.  There also may be some interchangeability with passenger cars.  The unobtanium would be the year/make/model-specific trim, etc.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of the parts was shared with the big trucks and Dodge. Sheet metal is the same  for the 1/2 ton except the tail gate, hood and grill. Gauges and trim between the gauges also different. 

1937 Plymouth Truck Info-PT 50 (1).jpg

1937 Plymouth Truck Info-PT 50 (2).jpg

1937 Plymouth Truck Info-PT 50 (3).jpg

1937 Plymouth Truck Info-PT 50 (4).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now