DB26

A Question For Porcelain Sign Collectors

I was invited to bring my 1940 sprint car to a private Race Car reunion held every December at a farm in rural Texas. The owner invited me in to his one bedroom farm house to see his advertising. Every square inch of this house is covered with pristine porcelain signage  This is the dining room. 

B13D04D2-7173-4180-AED9-4F54A2964128.jpeg

• Like 3

Around 1985, my buddy & I stumbled upon an abandoned junkyard in eastern PA somewhere. I say 'abandoned' because there was no fence, no gate, no border, no buildings, no signage, no evidence of scrapping or moving them around & it was all overgrown. Looked like occasionally they'd tow a car in there and just leave it in the patch of trees. We wandered thru it, and there was a double-sided porcelain dealership sign there; DeSoto-Plymouth, about 4 feet in diameter and 8 or 10 inches thick, circular, and some of the neon lettering was still on it. I suppose if one of us had access to a truck, it would've followed us home. At some point in the '90s the whole area was cleaned out & I have to believe it was all crushed/scrapped. Man, I wanted that sign.

I have a few (very few) cheap repros, and two real originals in fair condition. One rectangular Studebaker sign, probably from the mid '10s or very early ''20s. And one Paige and Jewett sales and service sign (mid '20s). The Paige sign I bought for $40 about fifty years ago, and my wife gave me the Studebaker sign over twenty years ago. I know she paid too much for the Studebaker sign at the time, but I imagine it is worth a bit more now? (Kidding!) Actually, I would almost be afraid to find out what they might be worth. I really do not want to sell either of them, and do have a friend I would consider giving the Studebaker sign to if I did need to re-home it. (And for that matter, I do know a Paige owner, don't know if he collects signs or not?) On the other hand, if I could get enough for them that I could buy a decent car I could enjoy? 

I am not sure right now that I would want to know?

1000s of dollars in games and prizes..............................!

So far, I see lots of wonderfully preserved signs in all kinds of condition.    Besides overhead, and wall signs, and thermometers, does anyone have any porcelain door pushbars in their collection?

Craig

Okay everyone. I have a confession to make. I’m the one who actually won the sign from eBay. I was doing a little fishing for information to see if I was a fool for agreeing to such a price. It should be here in one week. I plan on cleaning it up and letting it be. It’s going to hang in the garage as is. 

• Like 3

DB26- if your happy with your purchase.........then all is fine. Having something at 600 or nothing at 3k. Only you need to be satisfied. Enjoy it.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 6' diameter porcelain BA sign.  Very rare in the blue/orange combination as it was quickly replaced with Gulf signs.

And my Coca-Cola porcelain finish door push.

Craig

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DB26 said:

It’s going to hang in the garage as is.

Congratulations.  You will smile every time you look at it and it didn't cost you $2500

I didn't have it handy for the soap box derby banner post,  but let me show off my champ car.   Complete with sponsorship by Billing's Classic Car,  noted for building the 10 Duesenberg Toursters in the 70s.

Been sitting for 45 years in my dad's garage attic waiting for me to build a barn I've been planning since 1988.

IMG_6434.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This is the only original I have.  It is not porcelain. Thick tin. I have not seen any like it. I purchased on eBay when searching old signage. Sometimes different worded searches on eBay yield results. The final price for the sign was $20.

I did a quick look. Mecum had two for auction.  Not as nice as mine in my opinion.  Sold for $354.  I feel good about my purchase!  https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1019-390325/check-oil-now-oil-rack-tin-signs-lot-of-2/

IMG_20200104_145850.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

This is the only original I have.  It is not porcelain. 12 guage steel. I have not seen any like it. I purchased on eBay when searching old signage. Sometimes different worded searches on eBay yield results. The final price for the sign was $20.

IMG_20200104_145850.jpg

Or incorrectly spelled.  I was looking for a vintage game system for my son for Christmas and found a great deal spelled “Nintindo” instead of “Nintendo.”  eBay will often auto-correct spelling, forcing you to intentionally try to choose the incorrect spelling.

There are tons of “Biuck” items on there right now that a person would never find if they didn’t force the incorrectly spelled search.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 1:51 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

I have been into advertising as long as cars. They don’t require maintenance 

EBDB300F-2C3C-4D19-8E1D-54FEF8C6510F.jpeg

Robert your sign collection looks awesome and love those cars.   It appears you have them roped off - do you drive them much or more for admiration?  

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2020 at 1:04 AM, WQ59B said:

Around 1985, my buddy & I stumbled upon an abandoned junkyard in eastern PA somewhere. I say 'abandoned' because there was no fence, no gate, no border, no buildings, no signage, no evidence of scrapping or moving them around & it was all overgrown. Looked like occasionally they'd tow a car in there and just leave it in the patch of trees. We wandered thru it, and there was a double-sided porcelain dealership sign there; DeSoto-Plymouth, about 4 feet in diameter and 8 or 10 inches thick, circular, and some of the neon lettering was still on it. I suppose if one of us had access to a truck, it would've followed us home. At some point in the '90s the whole area was cleaned out & I have to believe it was all crushed/scrapped. Man, I wanted that sign.

This Cadillac sign came from a Junkyard they were getting ready to do the final clean up on.  There were a few van bodies and buses with some NOS parts that all junkyards seem to get, that I was called in by a friend to buy from the family as the owner had passed.  This was tucked down in between a bunch of stuff in one of the bodies.  Alot of the cars had already been crushed and I'm pretty sure everything would have just been picked up with a claw and stuffed into dump bodies that was with this.  I laid everything out for the guy to see and made him and offer and he took it for the whole lot,  happily.  It was only a few hundred for everything.  I haven't been able to figure out what it was made for other than obviously Cadillac and from maybe around 1953. It's not real big and has a ton of factory rivet holes.  Fortunately the busy design takes away from the big wangers.  Odd part is they actually wrote on the back before firing the colors used.  Maybe it was a sample or test piece? I have also wondered if it was for something like the motorama as with all the holes it would make mounting it very easy at different venues.   It's maybe 20 by 24 inches. 

IMG_4724.thumb.JPG.69d7759e044ba58a6d49a90b00f80e8c.JPG

IMG_4728.thumb.JPG.10637c661751cbde05b1b1776ac41b29.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Any idea what something like this would be worth? My neighbor offered me $350 for it but I passed. I've had it in my garage for about 15 years. I was too lazy to move the 28' extension ladder for the pic so sorry about that. It measures 3' x 7' 10". The pics are with and without the flash. There is a bullet hole in the big Q....

PICT0028.JPG

PICT0029.JPG

while on this topic, I was thinking, is there any form of advertising that didnt go through the roof in the last 20 years and I came up with 5 gallon petrol cans. Some have great colors and many can be picked up for under 50 bucks.

that's what Im talking about.............!

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

This is the only original I have.  It is not porcelain. Thick tin. I have not seen any like it. I purchased on eBay when searching old signage. Sometimes different worded searches on eBay yield results. The final price for the sign was $20.

I did a quick look. Mecum had two for auction.  Not as nice as mine in my opinion.  Sold for $354.  I feel good about my purchase!  https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1019-390325/check-oil-now-oil-rack-tin-signs-lot-of-2/

IMG_20200104_145850.jpg

Chris, your sign was used on a Seloil oil cabinet, which were usually on the pump island to display quart oil cans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Any idea what something like this would be worth? My neighbor offered me $350 for it but I passed. I've had it in my garage for about 15 years. I was too lazy to move the 28' extension ladder for the pic so sorry about that. It measures 3' x 7' 10". The pics are with and without the flash. There is a bullet hole in the big Q....

PICT0028.JPG

PICT0029.JPG

Try to squeeze a little more out of your neighbor, but 350 is good for that sign in that condition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

Chris, your sign was used on a Seloil oil cabinet, which were usually on the pump island to display quart oil cans.

Thanks for letting me know.  I had wondered if the sign was on a shop wall or inside the gas station. 

I would price the Quaker state sign at 550. or a little higher.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, VintageJunkie said:

Robert your sign collection looks awesome and love those cars.   It appears you have them roped off - do you drive them much or more for admiration?  

I keep 5 or 6 running at all times and try to rotate them although my 41 Cad is always on call.

• Like 1