VintageLiterature

Help Identify Pre 1910 Car

I recently acquired the vintage framed photo attached and hoping for some help identifying the car. It looks to be an early piece pre 1910 but I acquired it as-is without any information.

Does anyone know the year / make / model of this vehicle?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

IMG_7070.jpg

IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_7072.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

46 minutes ago, intimeold said:

The car may be a Morris Cowley, bullnose

I am working on the year now

intimeold

Being chain drive I don't think so.

It is European, a "Good" car chain drive, set up to Sports Car use. Think it is a rebodied car from @ 1908-1910. Bob 

• Like 1

Wheel hubs are very unusual.......maybe a good place to start........

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! Very much appreciated.

I acquired this photo from Germany so it does make sense that it would be a European vehicle (though always possible it could still be North American). I'll update here if I find anything concrete

Just now, VintageLiterature said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! Very much appreciated.

I acquired this photo from Germany so it does make sense that it would be a European vehicle (though always possible it could still be North American). I'll update here if I find anything concrete

Post that on PreWarCar.com it is based in the Netherlands an read world wide. Bob 

1912 Vauxhall 20 HP A type.  The radiator is distinctive.

Terry

Didn't Vauxhall radiators always feature a pair of distinctive scallops in the top tank ?  I know little about pre 30 - 98 models but even the "Prince Henry " models all seem to have them. I think you are on the right track with a British car, just not so sure about Vauxhall.

Greg in Canada

1912_Vauxhall_Prince_Henry.jpg

Don't know if that style of radiator existed from day one or not.  The Price Henry edition was really neat and was a special car from the day it was introduced. 

Terry

Posted (edited)

Here is one of the first conventional radiator, 4 cyl. Vauxhalls . Scallops are already present.

Greg

Vauxhall_A-Type_A12_3.4-litre_1912.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Another possibility might be a Metallurgique  from Belgium. About 1910 they have a considerable resemblance to the mystery car, but I am not sure about the chain drive.  They had quite a bit of sales success in the U.K. so that might be a later re- body with a British flavor.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Well, Mike, since a number of people have sent in their guesses, I'll do the same with the attached photo suggestions.  #1 is a '15 Scripps-Booth Rocket; the radiator is a good comparison.  #2 is a '21 AGA Type A touring.  #3 is a '18 Biddle roadster, and #4 is a '20 Biddle Rosemont Model 121 touring.  #5, for what it is worth, is an ad for a Pathfinder touring that probably dates from 1916.

001 16 Scripps-Booth Rocket.jpg

002 21 AGA Type A 6-16 PS Phaeton 01-01.jpg

003 18 Biddle Roadster.jpg

004 20 Biddle Rosemont Model 121 in WB.jpg

005 Pathfrinder Logo.jpg

On 1/6/2020 at 7:23 AM, 1912Staver said:

Another possibility might be a Metallurgique  from Belgium. About 1910 they have a considerable resemblance to the mystery car, but I am not sure about the chain drive.  They had quite a bit of sales success in the U.K. so that might be a later re- body with a British flavor.

Greg in Canada

Here is the Metallurgique in the ACD Museum.

Craig

12_Metallurgique.jpg

Had another guess suggested - possibly a Darracq -

I've not found an exact match for the photo, but that radiator style appeared early on their racers.  With many of these early cars being built individually, am wondering if our trying to match it to existing photos of passenger cars might be a problem.  Looking at chassis details as best I can on the photo, I'm inclined to suggest it "could" be a Darracq.

Terry

• Like 1

Very interesting - thanks everyone for continuing to post suggestions. I'm starting to agree that this is likely a one-off body (or extremely low production) as this is the first time the AACA forum hasn't been able to provide a definitive identification for me.

- Mike

Wonder if the car has a lost oil system with the tank on the side of the frame. First thought was it was for oiling the chain's but the lines seem to go toward the engine compartment. Dandy Dave! 

The front and rear wheel hubs look long and quite a small diameter.  Also the steering wheel rim looks flat and not rounded.

The mystery car looks to be something quite early that has been updated.

Clues to 'quite early' - what look to be plain bearing front hubs and the steering tie rod is at the front of the front axle.