1957buickjim

WTB 1957 - 58 A/C Evaporator Housing / Compressor Bracket

Looking to buy a restorable 1957 / 58 A/C Evaporator housing. Do not need evaporator, but if it is with it, would be interested in that as well. Also looking for a 1957/58 rear compressor mounting bracket (goes over the rocker cover). PM me if you have any of those. Thanks. 

Edited by 1957buickjim (see edit history)

Jim, 57 and 58 evaporator housing are not the same.  I had an evaporator and housing from a 58 that I recycled earlier this year, because I couldn't even give it away.

I think that site I referred you to had the 57 compressor with the bracket still on it, no?

• Like 1

Hey Lance, 

I bought the Compressor w/ front mounting brackets, didn't have the rear bracket though, and the full AC dash - controls, top w/vent, underdash duct. They didn't have the evap case or the condenser, or the rear bracket, the engine was not with the vehicle when they got it. Since I'm working on a cobbled system, not original, I just need it for fitting a current plate and fin evap in it. If I could find a 57 w/ evap - that would be a bonus, but trying to find just the housing as a start. From the pictures I received from you and Adam, the 57 and 58 are WAY different, including the fan motor mount etc. However, they should match the firewall attachment scheme. Thanks for your input. Very helpful. 

Edited by 1957buickjim (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Dang, I wish I'd held on to that 58 one.  If only we'd known what your future plans held!  It was too big to be sitting around potentially for years, so after having it on Ebay for months with no interest (even at giveaway price), I had to let it go.  This is why we hoard things!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

This is why we hoard things!

For Sure!

Finding my Graig AM/FM Stereo / cassette player in the garage the other night hearing it working... Just might mount it in the glove box of my Special rather than fix her AM only dash radio. 😁

• Like 2

What is different 57 to 58 on the evap housings?

4 hours ago, Smartin said:

What is different 57 to 58 on the evap housings?

Hard to describe without a picture, but they are completely different geometry.  Here are a couple pics I found in the internet you can compare to your car.  This was from a special you had posted about parting out many moons ago.special_parts_car010.jpg.2f86ba6f7a96d3acd12379bbe1094d49.jpgspecial_parts_car008.jpg.79e10b3c995c90c37861ccc684b1567c.jpg

Ah yeah that's quite a bit different. 

Here is a '57 AC for further comparison.

57 AC System 008.jpg

I've never had mine out or apart to confirm, but the 57 one looks to be plastic or fiberglass, whereas the 58  one is stamped steel. 

I believe it is the same box...but different blower housing and evaporator in/out routing.

The photos you posted with the 58 Special AC...the covering is insulation.  It flakes off pretty easily. 

ac_box_finished001.jpg

ac_box_finished002.jpg

ac_box_finished003.jpg

Here is my 57

IMG_2416.jpg

Rear bracket:  group 9.171; part no 1165949 is the 55 part.  I might have one if the 57 is the same.

You only need that part if you are going to use the A-5 compressor, otherwise custom fabrication would work better if using the later A-6 or Sanden.

Willie, 

Part No. is not the same with 57. PN for 57 is 1175088 - rear bracket, however my plan is to use a factory bracket, and custom fab an auxiliary bracket to  mount a Sanden compressor to the factory bracket. I'd be willing to try yours, if you are interested in parting with it. Let me know. Thanks.

Regards, 

Jim

Jim--

Sanden compressor?  That brace will not work since the Sanden is 6 inches shorter than the original A5.  The Sanden is also about 40 lbs lighter and needs less bracing.  Fabricate a single brace from the back of the Sanden to the intake manifold and you are good to go.

Thanks! Some of the websites were no longer in service (Comesky.com, wheatbelt.com; Vintageautoparts.com) -

Still looking for a 1957 Evaporator housing if anyone has one out there..Thanks!

Willie, 

That was my plan, but I am going to do it off the factory bracket. Thanks for the tip!