47 Plymouth vs 48 Ford

VintageJunkie

As my 48 Ford seller has stalled out , another beauty has entered the picture and would appreciate any feedback.   Although it is not original engine and the flat head In it had a crack - it may be a better fit for a newbie to the classic car world.   We did test drive a 48 Plymouth last week and loved the ride but appeared to be prepped for a fast sale and didn’t feel good about the overall quality of the ride.   Again, I am not so much interested in winning trophies, just love the looks of these old cars and want to have a part in preserving one for future generations.  Here are some specifics on the 47 Plymouth :

Car Overview
1947 Plymouth Deluxe Street Rod. Beautiful 1947 professional frame off complete Restoration 360 MOPAR engine 30 over with KB domed piston Lunati Voodoo Cam with a 484 lift 727 Transmission with Shift kit 2300 Stall Converter Engine Transmission and complete restoration has less than 2500 miles Two tone Silver paint and beautiful original style interior Accents old Hot Rod appearance brings high praise wherever she goes Mustang II Power Steering with front disc Brakes

I'm on the far east coast so get your post earlier than many. Since the AACA is largely devoted to preservation/restoration of old original cars and the people who love them, rodded cars often get a rather cool (sometimes icy) reception. However many of the members here, including me, appreciate all aspects of the car hobby, and enjoy seeing good efforts to keep the original look of vintage cars even if the innards are changed over for one reason or another. So I encourage you to post some photos if possible and keep in mind the objective of the AACA as you sift through the subsequent posts. There are many members fond of post-war offerings from the Big 3, many of which looked very similar in shape and in features. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with Gunsmoke, most of us appreciate original cars , perhaps this is not the place to ask questions and advice about a car that has been heavily modified? Most of us would not know how something from the late 1940s will ride with a Mustang II power steering and I have no idea what a Lunati Voodoo cam is. I think you have the wrong place. You won't hear opera or learn about it by going to a rock concert nor vs versa> Just Sayin.

It seems to me that the same question as arose during your stock vs rodded 48 Ford shopping applies here.

If you want to experience a 47 Plymouth, this isn't one (it's certainly not "restored.").  

If you want 70's - 80's mechanicals in a different body, this is one.  I've driven a 40's Plymouth and a 70's Mopar (albeit with its stock suspension) - they are nothing alike.  You need to decide what you want.

• Like 1

Here’s a nice ready to go late 1940s car from a reliable dealer that’s a member of this forum.  You could add a few period correct custom touches to it if you choose.  It’s not a combination of parts and pieces that can be huge headaches down the road.

http://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=1140

Thanks Terry, that’s is a sharp looking car!   Appreciate the feedback from all.   Part of the fun of a new hobby is figuring out what you want and relying on others that have been there for advice / feedback.   I would say that I am in the camp of appreciating the style, engineering etc of the earlier cars but not a purist that all has to be original.   I love to see anyone saving something from a junk yard( even though I do love them) and keeping it alive for others to appreciate and use.  

With th that being said - if this club is only for purist, I will happily retire from the site today :)   Any suggestions for a site that is more in the middle would be welcome 

i totally appreciate the purist view and what they stand for but just getting into this - that’s not me at this point 

Well from your description this restomod was done in the last century (prolly '90s) so is not only a mod, it is neither current technology nor from the '50s or '60's.

I have heard of Lunati cams, think they are based in Memphis so might ask JJ.

No mention of the diff but might be something too low to be Interstateable.

Finally 2-door, f4-door, or vert, all were available.

Personally I appreciate nice cars and does not really matter who built it. Though are not many cars of that period I'd give up stuff for: Facel Vega HK-500, Suicide door Caddy, or a Studillac.

2 hours ago, VintageJunkie said:

Thanks Terry, that’s is a sharp looking car!   Appreciate the feedback from all.   Part of the fun of a new hobby is figuring out what you want and relying on others that have been there for advice / feedback.   I would say that I am in the camp of appreciating the style, engineering etc of the earlier cars but not a purist that all has to be original.   I love to see anyone saving something from a junk yard( even though I do love them) and keeping it alive for others to appreciate and use.  

With th that being said - if this club is only for purist, I will happily retire from the site today :)   Any suggestions for a site that is more in the middle would be welcome 

i totally appreciate the purist view and what they stand for but just getting into this - that’s not me at this point 

I would say you are always welcome to ask questions here.  While the preference is originality, there is years of experience too with various automotive elements like carburetors, ignition , paint and so forth. We collectively enjoy helping new people with their ventures into the world of automobile hobbies.

• Like 1

Vintage,

What kind of '47 Plymouth is she ? Coupe, sedan, convertible ?

How's the paint, upholstery trim, etc. Is she all there ?

Is she a stop light bandit or a cruizer ?

Will you have to swap the ring and pinion to suit your needs ?

What is your mechanical skill level ?

How deep can you go into her and feel comfortable ?

What is the asking price ?

I've seen '47's go for 6K--70K depending on the condition and type. Vert's are the most costly.

Last question is the MOST important.

Can you fall in love with her ?

Because if you can, working on her is fun. If you cannot, it is work and NOT fun, and you will tire of it quickly.

Just some things to consider.

Mike in Colorado

PS; I don't care what kind of car you decide on, you are always welcome here...................

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

I would say you are always welcome to ask questions here.  While the preference is originality, there is years of experience too with various automotive elements like carburetors, ignition , paint and so forth. We collectively enjoy helping new people with their ventures into the world of automobile hobbies.

Yup, loads of experience and most are willing to share knowledge.

The purists are beginning to realize that times are a changing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

Vintage,

As a guess this one:-  https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/57305904

Fortunately not a wildly modified car.  From a distance many would assume a close to standard car.  Good it does not have modern(~2010's) low profile mag wheels

(Googled the text description)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

AN antique car is an antique car. Unless you raise the hood or have goofy looking wheels on it no one may know it has a newer engine in it. So buy what you like, drive the wheels off it and have fun. I've had modified cars - a 60 Austin Healey 3000 with a 283 Ford V8 built to the max for power, A 49 Ford pickup with a 5.0 EFI engine. I have a 38 Studebaker State Commander all original even the paint is original. The other day I pulled into a local store and a fellow said "it sounds like a monster engine in that thing", I said no just a flat head 6 90 HP with a hole in the exhaust pipe!  I haven't had time to fix it but will soon. So who knows what is right for you but you and why care what someone else thinks. Buy something you can enjoy and go have fun.

If no one else will respond to yoiu if you buy a modified car send me an email I'll respond. I think a whole lot of others on the forum will also so stick around no matter what you buy.

Dave S 

• Like 1

Thanks '39 B,

Looks like a nice car and quite well done.

All she needs is a set of baby moons or dog dish hub caps and she's ready to go.

Would be very welcome at all the car shows / cruises we have out here in Colorado.

Could not take her to pebble beach or Amelia but that's another whole crowd.

Would be welcome at the NSRA in Pueblo, but that's a fun group too.

So "Vintage" if you have 26K to spend, is this the ONE ?

I spent "almost that much" got this.

Mike in Colorado

P_20181122_110337.jpg

4 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Vintage,

How's the paint, upholstery trim, etc. Is she all there ?

Is she a stop light bandit or a cruizer ?

Will you have to swap the ring and pinion to suit your needs ?

What is your mechanical skill level ?

How deep can you go into her and feel comfortable ?

What is the asking price ?

I've seen '47's go for 6K--70K depending on the condition and type. Vert's are the most costly.

Last question is the MOST important.

Can you fall in love with her ?

Because if you can, working on her is fun. If you cannot, it is work and NOT fun, and you will tire of it quickly.

Just some things to consider.

Mike in Colorado

PS; I don't care what kind of car you decide on, you are always welcome here...................

Thanks all, as I am knew to this just wanted to make sure that not all are purists on this site.   The feedback thus far is super helpful and Do not have any buddies close by who are in to it.   A lifetime to learn with this stuff which is what excites me about it 

1939 Buick nailed it and this is the car.    I absolutely love the look but haven’t seen in person yet.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/57305904

The guy tired to keep it pure but had a cracked engine so changed directions a bit.  

A few answers to Mike in Colorado :

it is a coupe

just finished restoration in April of 2019 

asking 24k

My mechanical level is entry level.   I have done basic fixes to old mini vans and more modern cars.   But just learning some of the basics now so will most likely have to sub out work here and there until I get experience 

i think I can fall in love with any of the 3 I am pursuing,   Even though I will be new to this hobby have admired for a long time.  Came close to buying a 50,s truck 6-7 years ago but chickened our cuz I thought I would get killed with maintenance.   Now empty nest with a thirst to learn so ready to take it on

finding a forum like this has been Very helpful already.  

Again, thanks all and Happy New Year to all 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Thanks '39 B,

Looks like a nice car and quite well done.

All she needs is a set of baby moons or dog dish hub caps and she's ready to go.

Would be very welcome at all the car shows / cruises we have out here in Colorado.

Could not take her to pebble beach or Amelia but that's another whole crowd.

Would be welcome at the NSRA in Pueblo, but that's a fun group too.

So "Vintage" if you have 26K to spend, is this the ONE ?

I spent "almost that much" got this.

Mike in Colorado

P_20181122_110337.jpg

Mike.  That is a sweet ride you have and the one 39B found is the one.  He did a few modifications to the exterior but well done and dig the two tone paint job.   I picked a bad time of the year to start looking as it is snowing and 30 here in CLE  it will get out to see it once a break in weather 

Lots of cool 40's Cars.  Pontiacs from 46-48 Seem to be under appreciated and have great styling.  A jazzed up Chevy basically with extra streamlining trim.  I love a Pontiac Woody.  Of course a 46-48 Buick Woody is pretty darn nice as well. 

Usually Mopar offers more bang for the buck if you get into originals.   I had a 48 Plymouth Conv't.  If you don't mind the slower ride and Don't need AC,  a very nice Conv't can be picked up for low 20's with some looking.  Mine with bad paint but very nice interior ,top and chrome as well as much fresh mechanical work so it ran and drove probably very close to a new car, went for 14,500. 

• Like 1