Porcelain Tags??

So I am playing with the idea of having my 1927 License Plate that’s on our car refinished in porcelain.  I really don’t want to paint the tag, nor do I really want to have it powder coated.

In Delaware there is a huge market, and I mean like in the millions of dollars, for low digit tags.  Locally they are known as “DE Black Tags” and boy are they are in high demand!  Each year there is an actual tag auction, aside from all the one on one direct sales, that takes place and tags have fetched millions and I knew millions of dollars.  The lower the number the more it’s worth, even numbers that are duplicates run big bucks!

DE Black Tag #1 is owned by the State and is reserved for whomever is Governor, #2 goes to Lt. Govenor, and then the general public, I’d you got the bread, gets the rest.....again if you can afford such luxuries!  A friend of mine owns number “16” and bought it for $225,000.  Yes nearly 1/4 Million USD!!!

So, I know that an original finish in a tag means it’s worth more than a restored or altered tag however, I am considering having my 1927 license plate finished in porcelain just like the DE Black Tags I mentioned above.

I love the look of these porcelain tags however I wonder where in the world I would find someone who could refinish the tag in actual porcelain???

Any ideas?? 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-675000-license-plate/

Go to Ebay, search for "porcelain license plates".  Find one of the reproductions that are being offered, such as the early Alabama one for $50 or so.  Message the seller and ask if they can do a custom job for you, as apparently they have porcelain capability.

That's the best advice I can give you, though I'd admit that what your asking is an unusual request.  Good luck!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, trimacar said:

Go to Ebay, search for "porcelain license plates".  Find one of the reproductions that are being offered, such as the early Alabama one for $50 or so.  Message the seller and ask if they can do a custom job for you, as apparently they have porcelain capability.

That's the best advice I can give you, though I'd admit that what your asking is an unusual request.  Good luck!

wow I have never seen something like this offered on eBay, I’ll have to put my searching skills to the test!

yes, I know it’s a big odd but I have a 1927 tag on my car and it’s showing it’s age, though for its age it’s in pretty good condition!  Just not the condition I’d like, and having it done in porcelain like the DE Black Tags are scream quality!  They are extremely heavy but really nice!

ill keep everyone updated on how it goes and which way I go w it....

any additional input is greatly appreciated as well!

You might check with Prairie Auto Porcelain at 507 645 5325.   They always have an add in Hemmings Motor News  They advertise for doing manifolds but they may be willing to take on your project or may know of someone who would.  

You might also check with Restoration Supply Co.  They have some one who does porcelain work on emblems and that might be a lead. 

• Like 1