Can anyone identify this vehicle

Flaxen

My wife is making a scrapbook of her ancestry. This photo was taken in NY I believe in the mid to late 30's. Her dad and mom are both in the photo. Would like to know what the make and year of the convertible is. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0182.JPG

4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Do you know any differences between the two?

John, I owned a 1934 56S for 45 years and researched a good bit.  Some amateur sources say the grille mesh was slightly different between the two years, but on parting out several, I could find no differences whatsoever--which could have been due to replacement parts. The repro parts catalog went with the car, so I'm unable to check.  I welcome any definitive information on the subject. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!  May it be healthy for all of us.

• Like 1

I think there differences between 1934 and 1935 are minimal. I believe an automatic choke was introduced somewhere along the way on the larger series cars.

The Series 40 models were only introduced in May of 1934 - the big cars were introduced in December '33 - and as far as I know had no major visible changes until the completely new 1936 cars came out  on 28 September 1935. The Series 40 cars did get numerous mechanical upgrades through the run as there were reliability issues with the earliest ones. I had a couple of them and the con rods were a problem at the start apparently.  Had a habit of throwing rods. The Standard Catalog says there were also problems with clutches and timing chains.

This restored Series 60 phaeton lives not far from me. It was the only Series 60 car imported to NZ in 1934 and has a known history.

Note the difference between the 128" wheelbase 60 and the bigger 90 as in the photo above can be picked by the rear door opening.  On the 90 the rear edge of the rear door is about level with the front of the fender.

These convertibles are the only Buicks of that era to have suicide doors as far as I know. I assume they rely on the - maybe non-adjustable? - front seat for structural rigidity?

34 68C MM 0116 (1024x768).jpg