1936 Cord Phaeton Sale or Trade

I've been on the fence about selling this for some time and have come to realize that to get the 1931-1933 Auburn I want, we are going to have to part ways. 
She is pretty sexy to just look at sitting in the garage. 
Probably. not a whole lot of original 36 Cord Phaeton hot rods from the 40's or early 50's still out there.  
Very old (50's?) black enamel repaint over the original cigarette cream finish and red tuck and roll Vinyl done very much to the original pattern. Still in good shape. 
Pretty cool with a full dressed 40's Caddy flathead with Edmunds intake and Heads. 
Pipes were added at some point from a 37 Supercharged 810 and the builder utilized them running the Caddy exhaust through them. 
I'm sure you would draw quite a crowd if you pulled up in this at the next vintage rod run. 
Pretty much largely untouched since the 60's or maybe even 50's. It's been in storage in a dry garage on the edge of the California Desert for nearly 40 years before I bought it and the last 7 or so in my heated garage. 
Definitely looks old. No fake patina here. 

Like a barn find it's been sitting. I was collecting parts to restore it,  but have been told by more than a few to leave it a vintage rod. I'll include those parts in the sale. it's a long list of mechanical and lots of rechromed extra Cord parts. Some hard to find. 
Cosmetically it's very stock except the cowl vents were closed and filled. (they are still there) Not sure if they are leaded or not. I do have a mint pair of phaeton vents I'll include just in case. 
The body overall is very nice with no major rust as you would expect from a car that sat in a garage in the desert. 
Cosmetically it's complete. No missing cord parts. The complete top is still folded under the smooth tonneau. (yup they had a full disappearing top)
Suicide doors with Huge hidden hinges that open and close smoothly. 
It will need a serious mechanical overhaul to be put on the road. It's not running and has at a minimum some stuck valves. It was running when put in storage but that was 45 years ago so of little consequence now. I oiled the cylinders but as with these Caddy flatheads the valves are so high in the block they don't get soaked. 

I do have a clear title for it.  
Really a cool car whether you want to restore it, keep it a real vintage hot rod, or run it as a rod for a while , while you collect the rest of the parts to put it back to original.

If anyone has any history on it, I would love to hear about it.

SOLD

Will consider trades for a 31-33 Open Auburn, or possibly late 1920's -early 1930's Packard or similar Open car in good condition, needing some work is fine.

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Here is a list of some of the extra parts.

Several sets of axles (a couple may be NOS)
3 extra wheels
A correct steering wheel (needs restoration) 
A nice rechromed horn ring
All the little wedges and catches / dovetails for the door jambs all rechromed (might even be 2 sets worth). besides the original set still on the car.
An extra rechromed fence for the pipes on the hood
A complete shifter stalk with switch and control
New gauge cluster Fascia (engine turned panel)
Several gauge pieces, bezels and rechromed dash pieces.
I'm pretty sure I have a complete set of Rechromed door handles and window cranks but I would have to double check to be sure.  (besides the originals on the car)
A full set of rechromed towel bars for both front and rear bumpers (besides the originals still on  the car) 
An NOS set of Fog King Fog lights and correct used set of long neck brackets
New glass for the windows, 
A rebuilt correct starter in show condition
Correct rebuilt show quality 1936 Cord Carb.
NOS sleeved Master cylinder.
A couple complete sets of brakes including drums and backing plates.
An NOS pair of trunk latches in beautiful shape.
A complete set of Acorn nuts rechromed for the bumpers (besides the originals)
Some other small misc. Re chromed bumper hardware.
A pair of really nice original heads with new gaskets.
A new pair of reproduction radiator tanks as well as an original strap to make a new correct radiator.
NOS radiator cap
Excellent used distributor cap. 
Many used but good tranny gears and parts (though no vacuum canister or tranny case) 
Correct Re chromed engine fan
Re Chromed hood latch and hood prop assembly
Rechromed complete set of throttle linkage
New Pedal pads and gas pedal
2 extra sets of tail light lenses
Pair of good used front suspension control arms.
front steering swing arm with new bearing and several other tie rod steering arm pieces.  
A complete set of 4 show quality rechromed bumper guards with chromed back straps.
Lots of small used odds and ends but nothing real special. 
Several sets of NOS points. Wiper arms and blades. 
I have a startix as well but it's not quite "correct" for a 1936 Cord though it will work. 
There are a couple of nice front spring assemblies. 
A few NOS or new Cord emblems for the tranny cover and license plate light housing
Rechromed front license plate bracket.  I think I have one for the back as well,  but it's just the straight bar not the whole license light housing. 
Rechromed generator bracket.
Several sets of spark plug wire looms. 
A pair of near NOS quality phaeton cowl vents. 

I know some of these parts weren't suppose to be chromed but a choice of beautifully chromed correct parts or none at all is pretty easy. 

That would be a fun car to get running as is and use!

I'm not in the market for another one, but a couple of questions.  Rear wheel drive?  Where is shifter, for the life of me can't see it in pictures.  If they removed front transaxle, what front end is in place now?

Good luck with sale!

4 minutes ago, trimacar said:

That would be a fun car to get running as is and use!

I'm not in the market for another one, but a couple of questions.  Rear wheel drive?  Where is shifter, for the life of me can't see it in pictures.  If they removed front transaxle, what front end is in place now?

Good luck with sale!

Look at the 5th photo and you will see it through the steering wheel.

shifter (2).JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yeah they converted it to rear wheel drive.  I believe it's a Lasalle 3 speed.  Looks like they harvested the Steering column and wheel from the same car.  There are some Universal joints in the steering though so I'm not sure what the box is.  It's not an original Cord Box. The front end is a big Solid axle mounted to Parallel leaf springs.  The Clutch  and gas pedal arrangement look a bit awkward and it's hard to say how well it performed with the conversion but the heel area in the front carpet is actually worn through so someone either actually did drive it a bit or sat in it alot dreaming of how good it would be to drive.  Someone did take some time on the conversion though and even welded in an H pipe in the exhaust. 

My price is of course negotiable and a starting point for now. 

I would be just as happy with a trade if it was something I liked.  Just time to move on to a new project. 

Very nice looking car .i am in belgium and its not that simple to modify a car .

I wonder if the chassis has been changed with the lasalle chassis because then it becomes a lasalle down  here .The official papers are showing the chassis number and not the body number .you can also not change the chassis number from one to another .Neither you can modify or  cut in the chassis because then you are not allowed to use the car anymore .I read many times mustang 2 front end on a car : not allowed and the inspectors look very good .

Down here its not that simple and i like the car a lot but it would give me tremendous problems i think .

I hope you can sell it for a good price in 2020 or exchange with your next dream car .

12 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

If things were different out here I would jump on it. And would not change a thing. You will find a buyer/trade. Tough to beat the looks of an open Cord. I had your Auburn, timing is everything.:lol: 

I wish the timing Would have been right.  That Hudson Powered Auburn would have been the perfect trade, both being the black sheep of their families.  To add insult to injury, every time I look up Auburns for sale on Google images,  your car comes up.  Probably will for the next 10 years.  That along with another one I was trying to buy,  that had been on the market for quite some time,  when someone pulled the trigger. 

As you said timing is everything. 

1 hour ago, daniel boeve said:

Very nice looking car .i am in belgium and its not that simple to modify a car .

I wonder if the chassis has been changed with the lasalle chassis because then it becomes a lasalle down  here .The official papers are showing the chassis number and not the body number .you can also not change the chassis number from one to another .Neither you can modify or  cut in the chassis because then you are not allowed to use the car anymore .I read many times mustang 2 front end on a car : not allowed and the inspectors look very good .

Down here its not that simple and i like the car a lot but it would give me tremendous problems i think .

I hope you can sell it for a good price in 2020 or exchange with your next dream car .

I'm not sure how they would look at it,  as it still has it's original Cord Frame (on Cords that a subframe anyways) but it has had some modification to accept the solid axle.   The subframes are actually pretty cheap and easy to find.  But as you said not sure how they would view it.  Each country looks at everything differently.  Even here in the states, the states have different rules and restrictions. Some are incredibly lenient and others very strict. 

If things were different out here I would jump on it. And would not change a thing. You will find a buyer/trade. Tough to beat the looks of an open Cord. I had your Auburn, timing is everything.:lol: 

couldnt agree more. 5 years ago I would have been all over this cord. I am winding down a little and carefully choosing my battles........ time is running out and I have plenty of cars to spend time on for the rest of my life.

I do have a guy that just offered me a 248 Caddy NOS Short Block for $500.  I could put any interested parties in my car in touch with him.  I would jump on it, as that would make the decision much easier but it's in GA and being I'm trying to sell it,  I bet the next guy wouldn't want it,  then I have another engine laying around.   I have a fully rebuilt with receipts 39 Caddy Flathead Engine I might throw in on the right deal,  but I'm not sure if the Edmunds parts would fit it. 

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Thats a nice car with what looks like a whole lot of work done,  but I'm looking for something just a tad older and hopefully with a drop top.  Though one of those Packard 3 window Coupes around 1933 might find it's way in the running. 

Swap for this?

965488039_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.e4fe4d4a0eea832f6f8f3044be373303.jpg

Though the exchange would be tricky and expensive. I'll throw in a couple of tommy guns too.

The logistics of the trade probably wouldn't work.  I have had a 35 and 36 Chrysler Convertible,  so I want something a little different I think.  I know a Dodge isn't a Chrysler but enough similarities,  I want to mark another something off my bucket list. 

I will say atleast the trades on here are a bit more realistic than the ones i got offered on Craigslist. 

You never know when something will strike me,  so don't be afraid to offer as long as we are similar value range. 

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a price drop? Why not.  On the hunt and might have turned over a stone so how is SOLD      If you are serious let me know.  Will do a partial trade as well.  I like lots of cars.   May sell without the choice parts as well,  but probably would be wiser to buy it all as there are some real nice pieces for barter if you don't need them to get stuff you might want or need. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Car looks nice.....and it’s a neat period conversion. Take it to Auburn on Labor Day along with the ladies and Victoria........lots of fun! Auburn would be a good place to market the car. Maybe an article in the ACD magazine for info and promotion?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Though I'm sure the original guys will beat me to death,  now that I'm a member I might just post a for sale ad for it over there. 

The wife is still not keen on a trip to Auburn.  It's going to take some serious sweet talking to get her to go along with it. 

You didn't pull out the original engine and stuff the caddy in there.  Most of those guys will think it is very cool.   If it was running I think it would be an easy sell.

Indiana is a great state and the reunion is a fun time.  Completely unique car event.

22 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Though I'm sure the original guys will beat me to death,  now that I'm a member I might just post a for sale ad for it over there. 

The wife is still not keen on a trip to Auburn.  It's going to take some serious sweet talking to get her to go along with it. 

Tell her the best part of attending Auburn is she gets to meet me...........that should make her want to attend!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Tell her the best part of attending Auburn is she gets to meet me...........that should make her want to attend!

Well, that’s a temptation I’m sure, considering.....I’d want meeting you on my bucket list had I not already scratched that one off!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Well, that’s a temptation I’m sure, considering.....I’d want meeting you on my bucket list had I not already scratched that one off!

Dave, admit it..........meeting me just once isn’t enough! 😝

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Randy,

I think you will find quite the opposite at Auburn.  Every ACD car which is "new" attracts quite a bit of attention.  A few years ago a club president brought a RWD conversion quite frequently.

Ed is right, Auburn is a great place to market the Cord .........then bring the Auburn the next year because you will be hooked.

• Like 1

Randy, if your wife is good with walking or dropping you off and taking the car, what she does not understand is the Auburn is a giant town festival for the weekend - they have a downtown festival, house tour Sunday, whole town does a garage sales, and ... plus a ton of other car activities all in a nice little suburban town outside of Fort Wayne. - ie there is something going on for everyone, plus if a nice weekend just grab a chair and sit around.  Basically, I rarely hear anyone complain as there is a niche for them to have a good time. 

• Like 1

That said, your best bet to sell is exactly how the 31 was advertised - put it in the ACD club newsletter (the people reading this page are not all that plentiful)  or put it on the Horseless Carriage Club website (I posted the Rolls Royce there with www.significantcars.com contact infor. and Shawn sold is in no time). 

• Like 1

The 810/812 Cord is a fantastic car and under-appreciated in many ways.   I think John's advice of a print add in the ACD newsletter (with a picture or two) is the way to go.    You have a strong chance the car will be bought by a current club member.

By coincidence I needed to drive this thing 10 miles this morning in brisk 40 degree February weather.  It went to the trim shop to replace the 50 year old top.    They are great cars to drive,  plenty of zip,  each shifting,  easy revving in 4th gear 55/60 mph.    I really need to make a point of driving this car more often.

I would imagine the subject car of this thread,  with the bigger hot rod caddy engine will really move.

IMG_4994.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

It went to the trim shop to replace the 50 year old top.

My sympathy (and empathy!) to the person replacing the top.  Not the most complicated in the world, but enough so to be a real pain.  The worst top to put on in my experience (see picture) is a Packard Darrin, there's no front top bow, just a couple of pieces of metal, but that's another story.....

2a.jpg