1967 riviera Headers

Coach23

Hello, I am in the process of rebuilding my 430 order. Mechanic and I agree that we should get some headers. I am currently looking at the TA Performance headers. They’re going to run me about $600 give or take. Are these going to be the best ones for my buck ?Hello, I am in the process of rebuilding my 430 order. Mechanic and I agree that we should get some headers. I am currently looking at the TA performance headers. They’re going to run me about $600 give or take. Are these going to be the best ones for my buck

Put headers on my 1984 Ford F350, not a week later the started died.  Used a crow bar to get the starter out (not enough clearance) found out the headers overheated the starter causing it to fail.  New starter and an insulating blanket installed it is running again.  I will never put headers on again.  Mostly a PITA, to work on and almost no gain in performance, but they do look cool.

I agree on a drag car they are needed for flow, most likely true on most engines in the 400+HP range.  If you want it to look nice the ceramic coated are the only way to go, and they keep the heat down.

28 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

Are you going to use this as a daily driver or a drag racer - what do you hope to gain with headers or do you just like the looks and thought of them? Just curious.

My manifold is leaking..cracked..and bolts broken. So I figured jus to get sum headers..daily driver 

10 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Put headers on my 1984 Ford F350, not a week later the started died.  Used a crow bar to get the starter out (not enough clearance) found out the headers overheated the starter causing it to fail.  New starter and an insulating blanket installed it is running again.  I will never put headers on again.  Mostly a PITA, to work on and almost no gain in performance, but they do look cool.

I agree on a drag car they are needed for flow, most likely true on most engines in the 400+HP range.  If you want it to look nice the ceramic coated are the only way to go, and they keep the heat down.

It’s probally cheaper and more insured to get headers than to find the original manifolds for my 67 tiviera

4 hours ago, Coach23 said:

It’s probally cheaper and more insured to get headers than to find the original manifolds for my 67 tiviera

Have you ever installed headers? You DO realize they are not a bolt-in, right? You need to modify the exhaust pipes. You will likely need to relocate brake lines or wiring. You MAY need a mini-starter.  Meanwhile there are both RH and LH manifolds for a 1967 Buick on ebay for about $100 each.

I think Joe is correct. Most headers I have seen are for say, small block Chevy into '40 Ford or Ford motor into '36 Chevy, etc. Even the so-called "stock" high performance headers need modifications to the exhaust system. I would look for the originals.

Joe is correct about the rest of the exhaust (or at least the mating to the new headers).
But T/A engineers their products on actual cars, so there won't be any relocation of brake lines or wiring or replacing the starter.

I have a set of the T/A 'shortie' Riviera headers for their 455 Stage 2 heads, but the motor is in a non-Riv Buick with the steering box behind the crossmember; a specific combination I believe no one has built before.
I have to 're-flow' the driver's side header to clear the box, not fun but the 'price to be paid' to go fast.

8 hours ago, WQ59B said:

Joe is correct about the rest of the exhaust (or at least the mating to the new headers).
But T/A engineers their products on actual cars, so there won't be any relocation of brake lines or wiring or replacing the starter.

Every header manufacturer engineers their products on actual cars, yet most still require some mods. I'll admit that I am an Oldsmobile guy and have zero experience with Rivieras or with TA, but nearly every brand name header that I've ever installed had some issues. Why with today's technologies of computer-controlled mandrel bending machines the header manufacturers can't make a product that fits consistently remains a mystery.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:18 PM, joe_padavano said:

Have you ever installed headers? You DO realize they are not a bolt-in, right? You need to modify the exhaust pipes. You will likely need to relocate brake lines or wiring. You MAY need a mini-starter.  Meanwhile there are both RH and LH manifolds for a 1967 Buick on ebay for about $100 each.

I have never done it before..but I am aware of the mods that come with installing headers...I am about to look on eBay for those manifolds now.. I hear ppl saying they would rather keep the originals 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:53 AM, joe_padavano said:

Every header manufacturer engineers their products on actual cars, yet most still require some mods. I'll admit that I am an Oldsmobile guy and have zero experience with Rivieras or with TA, but nearly every brand name header that I've ever installed had some issues. Why with today's technologies of computer-controlled mandrel bending machines the header manufacturers can't make a product that fits consistently remains a mystery.

Lol...we should be way more ahead then we are lmao