Antenna mast problems

Hey all. I bought a new antenna mast from one of the members on here a while back and when we replaced the original one with it, it still doesn’t go all the way down to the off position like it should. The motor seems to work fine, but the antenna doesn’t fully retract. Wondering if teeth from the old one may have broken off down in the motor assembly or something that’s preventing it from fully retracting. Have any of you had this happen with our TC’s and have any suggestions on how to fix it?

• 4 months later...

Hi Hemi. Sorry for the delayed response. TC's been in storage for a few months. When my father and I replaced it a while back, we cleared out the broken track parts that we could see. My dad thinks there could be some teeth that broke off farther down in the motor possibly, but we can't see anything as it is right now. The motor assembly seems kind of delicate, and I'm afraid we might break it if we try to take it apart. Perhaps there's another issue with these that could cause it to not retract all the way back in properly?

Well, you got to take the cover off, you will likely find part of the old track inside.  Make believe you are a brain surgeon!!!  Take the whole thing out of the trunk and lay it on it's side.

I can't come and do it for you. This is the challenge of owning a TC. You get to be the doctor, OR you end up paying a lot of money for LABOR.

Another possibility is one of the mast section is bent....as it goes down it binds and stops.

If your antenna looks like the photo below.... it is a Chinese replacement and mast/cord (with the teeth) replacement

are available on Ebay

DSCN0334.JPG

OK mytc05 now that you see a picture of the assembly, just remove the small retaining nut which holds the cover on (CAREFULLY) and look for any broken piece from the original mast 'CORD'. Remove the broken part and reload your new mast.

Needless to say, you need to remove the replacement mast assembly first.

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2020 at 3:32 PM, Hemi Dude said:

OK mytc05 now that you see a picture of the assembly, just remove the small retaining nut which holds the cover on (CAREFULLY) and look for any broken piece from the original mast 'CORD'. Remove the broken part and reload your new mast.

Needless to say, you need to remove the replacement mast assembly first.

Hey Hemi. Thanks for the feedback. I took your advice and we did get it apart. There was still a couple small broken sections in there from the old mast, which we have now removed. We put it all back together, but it still won't go all the way up and down. If I help it out a bit with my hand, it works fine. but it just seems to not have the oomph to do it on it's own for some reason, even though I hear the motor keep running for a few seconds after it catches when I don't help it. Everything sounds fine, just can't figure out what is preventing it from having the ability to do it all on it's own the full length up and down. The mast and the new teeth replacement I got from you new. So, that should all be fine. Maybe the motor has gotten a little bit weaker over the years, even though it sounds fine and runs the full length if I gently help it a bit?

Did you make sure that the motor was in the fully-up position when you fed the mast track in and began the ‘down’ direction?  Since I can’t see how you did it all, I cannot add anything more helpful.