'41 oil bath air filter

Just wondering if there is an acceptable conversion from the stock oil bath cleaner to an air filter element of some sort. Curiously, my air filter had oil but no brillo pad-like copper element in it so I will have to source this stuff if I can't find an alternative. Is there a way to eliminate the oil bath? I know these work great but there is a lot to be said for the ease of an air filter element if one works...

Peter

Edited by valk
spelling! (see edit history)
31 minutes ago, valk said:

Just wondering if there is an exceptable conversion from the stock oil bath cleaner to an air filter element of some sort. Curiously, my air filter had oil but no brillo pad-like copper element in it so I will have to source this stuff if I can't find an alternative. Is there a way to eliminate the oil bath? I know these work great but there is a lot to be said for the ease of an air filter element if one works...

Peter

Another thread on using a paper element in an old Buick air cleaner

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/305951-oil-bath-air-cleaner-40-buick/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, valk said:

Just wondering if there is an exceptable conversion from the stock oil bath cleaner to an air filter element of some sort. Curiously, my air filter had oil but no brillo pad-like copper element in it so I will have to source this stuff if I can't find an alternative. Is there a way to eliminate the oil bath? I know these work great but there is a lot to be said for the ease of an air filter element if one works...

Peter

I removed the decayed element from my 41 twin carb century which was not metallic but more like a natural material. I bought a roll of 3/8 inch thick air filtration material for motorcycles that was wide enough to stack up inside the filter can. I think I made 3 or four circles. Did not use any oil as the washable element does not require it. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Filter media like we use on AC systems at work is a composite material but is impregnated with some light sticky crap to catch dust.  We use it to filter entire buildings so it should work in an air cleaner

I would not recommend using an AC element I looked at them and decided against it. For one I do not believe they are designed for the fine particle filtration and high velocity air flow from the small surface area an air cleaner can provides. Also I do not think they are up to the high heat and volatile crankcase gasses. I would stick to elements for automotive/ motorcycle use. You also might consider using an off the shelf filter but that will take some measuring and looking through your parts store filter box's. Of course the best would be a K&N which are designed to be oiled with their special fluid.  I bought what I needed off of ebay in motorcycle parts. 

Is this a solution in search of a problem? The oil bath is extremely effective, particularly given the improved conditions and moderate driving that our cars receive today. You can get new copper mesh filter elements at your local hardware store--they're pot scrubbers. Pull them apart slightly and stuff them in the housing. The oil is the important part anyway.

I've seen cars retrofitted with paper elements and it always looks weird because you can't use the original air snorkel and have to allow air in at the bottom for a paper element to work correctly. That means inhaling hot under-hood air instead of clean, cold air from up front and have int funneled through to the air cleaner assembly. I was actually looking through my parts yesterday getting ready for projects on the Limited and seeing what parts I have and realized I have a modified dual carb air cleaner set up with a paper element. Looks weird and needed some cutting to fit properly. I doubt it works very well with all the leaks around the perimeter and as I said, the original intake would have to be blocked off. I still don't think it would work very well and the person who modified this one seems to not understand how the air flows through one of these filter units--it looks set up to inhale around the lower perimeter of the center canister, but once the air is inside it has to get out somehow to the "wings" of the filter to get to the carbs. I can't imagine it works better than the original design and is probably quite a bit worse, both in terms of cleaning and flow.

I tired to find a part number on that air filter but it is completely bereft of markings or manufacturer insignias. Here are some photos:

20191230_151458.thumb.jpg.e0b69072fb5d89a6e123346f946cd225.jpg

20191230_151604.thumb.jpg.9801a86dc793006fd07640d031aaf649.jpg

20191230_151622.thumb.jpg.1ade3d301bb45d9cf22eae096ddd28f9.jpg

20191230_151645.thumb.jpg.aa5fa956505f90fae919c97d4c1dfa82.jpg

20191230_151647.thumb.jpg.e68617f572929df40cc4d045e9dbb453.jpg

Sure looks the same. The car may go a little faster with the over-priced Harley stuff but, hey, I'll give the scouring pads a shot...looks like I'll need a few....thanks Matt.