Free 1982 Frank Sinatra Imperial Update

MarkV

As you may recall I picked up this old gal for free back in July and I have a few updates!:

The pictures below are it’s First time on a rack in at least 23 years! They have begun working on my Free Sinatra Imperial very excited and even more excited that I picked up all the spare parts with coupons and Cyber Monday sales! I went by to check on my Free FS Imperial yesterday they have already removed the gas tank and pump (in box below!)  and here is what is happening with it:
1. Replacing the hydraulic plate with the NOS one that i have from the revised parts bin in the late 80s. I also have the copper inserts for the lines as well. Power module on the old unit is bad the pump is however good. Power is going to everything when key is turned (ASDM module is good) 
2. Replacing throttle body unit with the NOS one that I have
Both of the above they tested per the efi manual and are shot. The throttle body was stuck wide open and would not budge.

3. Replacing all fuel hoses and filters
4. Bleed brake system and replace master and hoses and wheel cylinders (possibly turn drums and rotors) 
5. Replace starter
6. Repair fusible link wiring  (not burned but a rat got to it)
7. Replace in tank fuel pump with external unit and clean tank. We are using a sending unit from a Mirada and an external pump matching the oem specs. External will also make it easy to replace yay! 
8. Replace muffler and pipe (completely rusted) 

Thankfully I have 98% of the parts already! I told them of the story of the car and how I got it for free, both of the guys at the shop who are in their 60s told me how they had never seen an Imperial before let alone an FS one! 

The man working on it is extremely knowledgeable with ancient fuel injection from this era be it ford or Chrysler or GM and is an excellent trouble shooter, a mechanic not a “technician”!

FF716200-E777-46FC-8C9E-C3A4C29847CC.jpeg

A8F98DF6-E837-483F-A1B5-763703F109CC.jpeg

657A448B-B6C6-407B-9726-04AC256CA0E7.jpeg

• Like 3

That's really an attractive car. There were some very attractive cars from that era, despite what some precept oriented people in the car hobby think, and I think more and more I'd like to have one. I've also been liking the late 70's Chrysler Cordoba, Ricardo Montalban associations aside. It's another very attractive car.

I love 50's and 60's era cars, but driving around in them is  - in some ways - like being in a never ending Shriner's parade, with people always pointing and gawking. I'm a more introverted person than that. That's what I miss about my old motorcycles - only motorcycle guys really appreciated them. Everyone else was oblivious...and I'm strange enough to find that appealing.

This early '80's Imperial is in the tradition of nice looking Imperials: striking, but with a subdued elegance. Condition is generally better than '50's 60's cars, and people aren't wanting $9000 for a rusted out barn-find like they do with '50's - 60's stuff.

• Like 1

I paid under $2k for my 81 running and driving from an elderly lady who was hanging up the keys, besides a small dent it’s in excellent shape and I’m into it less than $2k and that was to fix all the little things with it down to the ac. The FS I’m going to be in about $2k to get it going but I did get it for free. I still will have to do paint  and a headliner. But I got it for free so I’ll be into both about the same amount of $.

• Like 1