junkyardjeff

Walked around the local old junkyard today.

"Rough, rough" said the little dog that used sandpaper to wipe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I walked around my "kinda local" old junkyard yesterday, the stuff in there looks just like your pictures! The trip was necessary as I was looking for a replacement grille thanks to a deer encounter, I was lucky and found everything I needed. Nice day for a winter walk too!

I miss walking around the yards that were here when I was young.  Like most I though they would always be there. Now around here there is nothing older than the 2000's that I can see and not much more of those as city and county pressure to basically get rid of  those "eyesores" is high.

• Like 1

That looks like the same place we went to when we were looking for a rear end for my '60 Edsel several years ago. I remember you saying that you couldn't even see most of those cars in the summer because of all the vegetation. Thanks for the pics.... :)

Nearly all 2-doors except the '59 Chevy Wagon. As such, would be highly sought after cars if not so far gone. Sleeping Beauties.

57 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

100_9674.JPG

what's this one?

46ish Nash and might have to go back and look it over more closely and I think its the only one of that era in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

That looks like the same place we went to when we were looking for a rear end for my '60 Edsel several years ago. I remember you saying that you couldn't even see most of those cars in the summer because of all the vegetation. Thanks for the pics.... :)

Its the same place.

It looks like I will have to go back again so thinking of taking pictures of everything in there before the weeds come back in the spring,you can not get to much of the back lot after the weeds come back.

If anyone sees anything they are interested in come on by and I will give you a tour of the yard,looks like I will have to go back next weekend for a valve cover.

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

Nearly all 2-doors except the '59 Chevy Wagon. As such, would be highly sought after cars if not so far gone. Sleeping Beauties.

Plenty of 4 doors in there too.

Most look like they have been there for at least 40 years. Amazing they have not been scraped yet. Some are very photogenic artifacts . I like that big, tandem 1953 or so GMC , yellow and surface rust.

Greg in Canada

16 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I miss walking around the yards that were here when I was young.  Like most I though they would always be there. Now around here there is nothing older than the 2000's that I can see and not much more of those as city and county pressure to basically get rid of  those "eyesores" is high.

When I was a kid most of the cars were about 20 years old. No pre-1930's cars. Even the 1940's convertibles weren't worth the cost of a new top.

In 1962 you could bring home a 20-ish year old Buick for forty bucks. No demand for parts so they would sell a whole car. I bought one.

"Nuthin' changes but the date"

• Like 1

When I first started buying out of this yard I would look at the plates that were on the cars and suprised that alot were driven less then 10 years before being junked and they were not wrecked,my daily drivers are 30 years old and no way would have junked one less then 10 years old and easy to work on.