Sign in to follow this  
1950panhead

1930 Lincoln Phaeton

My former '31 Lincoln 7 passenger Sport Touring ex-Homer Fitterling Collection. Shown as an example of a 7 passenger without a rear windshield.

Henry F.

8B30D564-9B2B-42B6-9248-CC56506F66EA.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

By the way, style comes at a cost - have you ever been womped in the back of the head by a dual cowl windshield ? 

Have never been hit on the head but the real pain is closing a rear door with you hand on the top of the door and the cowl is down and fastened - ouch!

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 6:31 PM, Matt Harwood said:

The interesting thing is that the Lincoln is probably a better car than the Packard just judging by the photos and the pre-auction estimates, which tell you a lot without saying anything. The Lincoln is at least what it purports to be (nobody fakes a 7P touring). The Packard, at that price, raises my eyebrows a bit--unlikely it was born as a dual cowl phaeton. I'm also looking at the slight mis-match in the fenders vs. the bodywork and suspect that the two parts were painted at different times--are they supposed to match or not? I'm thinking yes but they didn't get it quite right. I suspect a careful examination of the Packard will uncover all kinds of mischief that will be frustrating for a new owner. Hopefully they go in with their eyes open.

True, a lot of Dual Cowl were not such from the factory and parts have been available for conversion (especially for Packard's) since the 1960's, though most of those making reproduction parts to do such conversions are longer with us and the bulk of the cars have already been restored. 

As far as Dual Cowl's go, most are still pretty generic (aka production bodies or catalog bodies) and under 200K to 250K ish, so i would not be too concerned - it is the million plus stuff that you want to win Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance with that will be the problem. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Been whomped by this one.   It is a 1927 Lancia 7th Series and there is a spot for it in my garage.   The car had a Sacramento and Los Angeles history from new (when Rudolph Valentino popularized Italian cars to a certain set)  and the dual cowl and Americanized top, as well as a few other trim items added sometime pre-WWII (no coachwork tags, but it was assumed one of the LA based custom shops had their hands on it for upgrading).   It's original colors were white with red leather and red wheels.   The car was owned by a relative and sat for years in their barn (yes a real barn) waiting to be restored - pretty exceptional car when unrestored too.

Scan_Pic0003.thumb.jpg.bcd9c8111f04a25ee2ef0cb699763e02 (1).jpg

Cannot find photo at the moment - but been whomped a few times via a 1929 Franklin Sport Touring too - Yellow and Black and once owned by Robert "Bob" Agle