When the Mule Dies buy a....

TerryB

Yep makes sense to me, still see them on the road and many are looking like they are well cared for. Easy to maintain and fun to drive. My first car when I was 16 was a very warn  '64 I think with the Nerf bars above the rear bumper. Had a canvas sun roof, no gas gauge had to remember to go to the reserve handle when it would start acting up letting you know it needed gas. I forgot to switch the reserve handle back to the off position and ran out of gas in Baltimore around mid night and had to leave the Bug in the City. Eventually sold it for more then I payed for it around $300..

• Like 1

His new Mule has to be a 1961 0r older.   Got my drivers license in a brand new 1961.  We kept it 10 years and 400,000 miles.

It got flooded in the Hurricane of 1972 and after a good fresh water flushing an all new fluids, we sold it and saw it around our

Florida town for years.  10 VW's later I still love them.  Current one (Of 30 years) is a 1966, still does AACA Founders Tours.

I have several of the VW ads displayed in my shop,  always fun!20170607_111346.thumb.jpeg.a78f77d0ba90c99292386534925ac156.jpeg

• Like 3

VW ads were the most talked about ads at the time. They had a whole series of off beat ads showing one floating or sitting upside down saying sometimes a bug needs help!  They won all kinds of advertising awards for print and TV.  It was credited with making the brand a love able import car. 

Dave S 

Doyle, Dane & Bernbach was VW's ad agency, and won many an award for their simplistic, but very effective Beetle ads.    One reason the ads were so effective is VW took that advertising agency on a guided tour of the VW factory in Wolfsburg, and made them totally familiar with the product inside and out, which was one reason the 'Lemon' ad was held in high regard in print advertising circles.

Another reason is they tailored their ads according to the magazine or newspaper it was going to be published in to suit the audience as seen in the first post.  The 1995 Jerry Garcia tribute ad that was in Rolling Stone was a good one.  https://www.businessinsider.com/volkswagen-bus-electric-concept-microbus-photos-2017-1#on-march-8-1950-the-volkswagen-microbus-went-into-production-formerly-known-as-the-volkswagen-type-2-the-bus-would-quickly-become-a-symbol-of-americas-counterculture-movement-transporting-self-proclaimed-hippies-all-around-the-country-in-the-1960s-the-bus-was-designed-by-dutch-businessman-ben-pon-1

Craig

• Like 1