Leaking head gasket... Nashty goo!

Lahti35

I thought i'd go check out a Nash 600 I ran across recently... the seller sent me the attached photo of the engine and I noticed the black goo seeping from the passenger side of the head gasket (circled in red about the exhaust pipe)... Being this is a Nash and the intake is part of the head and runs all along that side of the block I wonder if this is a combination of running rich/excess fuel/intake grime creeping out. Anyone seen this before?

It reminds me of the goo I see around the base of a carb that's been leaking for along time...

The engine is reported to run excellently... I will of course be on the lookout for coolant in the oil/oil in the coolant etc... According to the seller the car does not smoke in the slightest.

19919123.jpg

I'll take a stab at it but wait for someone who isn't trying to remember what things were like 60 years ago. To me it just looks like an overzealous use of any of the old style head gasket sealers - Indian Head (Permatex) or other goop. At least every Model "A" engine that I picked up back then had thick caramelized material around the head seam to the best of my memory..

I'll be interested to see how others memories remember.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

I'll take a stab at it but wait for someone who isn't trying to remember what things were like 60 years ago. To me it just looks like an overzealous use of any of the old style head gasket sealers - Indian Head (Permatex) or other goop. At least every Model "A" engine that I picked up back then had thick caramelized material around the head seam to the best of my memory..

I'll be interested to see how others memories remember.

Interesting... perhaps the heat from the nearby exhaust helped it spread out...

• Like 1

If it is Indian Head Sealer, you know the head was off at one time. By looking at the head nuts, it doesn't  appear to be lately. The wires are modern, along with the hose clamp.