Neglected Classics Selling @ Kissimmee

md murray

3 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

FWIW, my own view is that a lot of this is inherent in a market in luxury goods.  It's like the difference between a real Fendi bag and a fake Fendi bag. 

Btw Orin,  you and your real Fendi bag would look good in that 34 Victoria,  assuming it goes cheap.   I see an easy 50k in cleanup,  but what a great car!

• Like 1

Not too hard to get green chrome via anything down in Florida - the climate is really hard on cars.  My parents ran heat, A/C, and a dehumidifier in the garage and the cars after 10 years were pretty green.  I did resurrect the 1930 Franklin to score 99.5 in CCCA, though if you looked real carefully you could see the mold damage to the leather where it touched other leather panesl around edges of seats, door pockets, and ... matched to having to scrub and detail the daylights out of it underneath.

19 hours ago, vermontboy said:

All of this is nothing new - when I was a kid I bought a copy of Classic Cars and Antiques by Gottlieb and Bowman (1952) - I was fascinated by a chapter on how to buy a classic car - just one example - lots of cobbed up details.

IMG_0005.jpg

I love this photo from the first time I saw it in a "Motor Trend" book !

On 12/28/2019 at 8:58 AM, alsancle said:

I would LOVE to get my hands on (besides the obvious multi million dollar Delehaye) is this W-30 442 Convertible.

69Old442-W30.jpg

My first daily driver at age 16 (my 1st car at age 14 was a 1941 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood) was a 1972 Oldsmobile Hurst 442 Indianapolis Pace Car Convertible  - I went with dad to buy it off the show room floor (actually we went to buy a standard Cutlass, but ....) and recalled his asking the dealer to remove all the lettering on it prior to delivery - mom would never have approved lettering.  It never sat a day in the garage and I ran it to almost 140K miles.  It was the first car we owned that you could drive at 100mph all day long with the A/C on.  A brake line broke on my way home from my last exam from undergrad - I drove it across town in rush hour traffic on the emergency brake.  A couple weeks later we jacked it up to change the line and dad declared it a rusty son of a ... and asked if I wanted to sell it.  I sold it to an Oldsmobile Club member for the original sticker price (and then sold the original floor mats for another 100 bucks, extra fenders for 250.00, and extra grills and front bumper for liek another $500). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sort of like my wanting every correct bolt and other piece of hardware in ever spot on a car - to me it matters. 

By the way, Leo Gephart was just down the street from our storage garage when I was a kid - it was a wonderland to go in there on a Saturday morning.  And, when we started looking for cars in the 1970's we constantly borrowed stuff for the weekend and took it on AACA tours. And, you could go to Ted Culls house on the other side of North main and see countless Duesenberg's getting dual taillights and .... to upgrade them to get an extra 5k on the sales price.  I always loved the Duesenberg dash Leo had in his office.  And, on the wall was a huge poster of a 1932 Packard Coup Roadster with a basket weave sidemount spare tire wheel cover.  

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

You and your real Fendi bag would look good in that 34 Victoria,  assuming it goes cheap.   I see an easy 50k in cleanup,  but what a great car!

I'm good on '34s for now, AJ.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the car is picked way below the the low estimate and is picked up by a dealer that cleans it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

I live in an alternate reality compared to most of the world............

Don't feed me straight lines like that, Ed!

I'm just glad to have 3rd tier pre-war stuff that I can really drive and fully enjoy.....