Need car ID

Bhigdog

9 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

image.png.98afe382e6e5748671327d401166f106.png

The above pix is of the Binder sisters in their new car on Erie ave. in Renovo, PA. The Binder brewery went out of business in 1910 so I'm guessing the pix is about 1910 or thereabouts. Any one have a clue?. Looks like a one off to me..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Luke Binder came to America from Inman, Germany, with his parents at the age of seven. He went to work in the rolling mills at Johnstown, and later learned the business of brewing lager beer in Altoona. When he had enough money, he moved to Renovo and purchased George Burger’s brewery, which he greatly enlarged and modernized and built into a thriving business. After his death, his son Edward L. Binder continued running the brewery until 1910 when he moved to Madera in Centre County and purchased a brewery there which he ran until 1916. Today there is a spring on Route 120 at Brewery Run Rd. where people can fill containers with the spring water once used to brew Binder’s Beer.

binderbrewingco

21 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Luke Binder came to America from Inman, Germany, with his parents at the age of seven. He went to work in the rolling mills at Johnstown, and later learned the business of brewing lager beer in Altoona. When he had enough money, he moved to Renovo and purchased George Burger’s brewery, which he greatly enlarged and modernized and built into a thriving business. After his death, his son Edward L. Binder continued running the brewery until 1910 when he moved to Madera in Centre County and purchased a brewery there which he ran until 1916. Today there is a spring on Route 120 at Brewery Run Rd. where people can fill containers with the spring water once used to brew Binder’s Beer

Thanks for that. I get up that way often. I know Brewery Run Rd. I dug up a pix of what I believe is the brewery and bar. I'll have to look for the remains. Maybe I'll find an old shed with a Metz in it. Sorry if this got a bit off topic but I love this old stuff..........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It is considered a 1914 model 22. That particular rear deck/trunk was actually introduced in mid 1913 and used on the three Metz automobiles run on the last of the original Glidden Tours which was run in 1913 and for which Metz claimed a victory with a perfect score. The trunk became available mid year 1913 as an option on their standard roadster, but was generally considered a '14 model.

• Thanks 1

Notice also the windshield on that car. It is called a "Cambridge windshield". I am not sure of the origin of the name, I tried Mr Google, but all he wanted to do was sell me a replacement windshield for my modern car in Massachusetts.

It is a canvas and isinglass wind screen held in place by a fixed steel rod framework. That was the standard optional windshield for the Metz automobile at that time. Many Metz automobiles at that time were still sold without a windshield. I am not sure exactly when Metz moved up to a more standard frame and glass windshield, but I think it was in 1915.

The Metz is actually a very interesting automobile.

Thanks for that, Mike. Really neat how an old pix can set off a hunt for long lost history. A friend just told me he bought some nos Binder beer labels at a yard sale in Renovo a few years ago. Maybe that old Metz IS still in a barn up there. Not much has changed except Renovo was a booming rail road town with major repair yards, round house, etc etc. Just a few abandoned building remain and the town is flat on it's ass.............Thanks again...........Bob

Yup, thats a pix of the shops. Only thing left is the long building on the left of the pix and the smoke stack. Supposedly they will both be razed and a natural gas power plant built. No shortage of ng up there. Fracked gas wells every where. Done nothing for the local economy.......bob

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

Do you sell a good Porter at your place Greg?

I do not keep a porter or a stout Mike.

I can tell you that beer is very regional. I grew up in Seattle where Rainier and Olympia reigned supreme but both were eventually bought out and couldn't hold a place in the national arena so both are now defunct. And, while it's difficult to understand why one beer will show stellar sales in an area and have almost no presence just two states away, my market is pretty easy to read.

It all comes down to climate. We regularly run in the triple digits here and our colder months mean temps in the 70's (although we are unusually cooler this Christmas season!). so light beers are generally the order of the day. A dark heavy would put you to sleep pretty quickly when you're re hydrating with beer! However back east they are very good sellers.

I have a dozen different taps and another 20 bottled beers and they all rotate well for this region. My darkest is Amber Bock on tap. I do bring in Guinness for St Patty's and it sells very well for that one day. But so does corned beef and cabbage. Both of which I couldn't give away any other day of the year! :lol:

We get a lot of European tourist trade and once in a while they will ask for a Guinness but most have the "when in Rome" attitude so they almost exclusively drink Budweiser. Besides, they think we are Philistines for cooling our Guinness!

My crowd ranges from the 20's to 70's in age so it's a pretty fair cross section of population here locally.

Bud is the biggest selling beer in the world and Bud Light is the best selling beer in America but the millennials won't touch it. Their drinking patterns are much different than their forebears'. They lean more to the craft brews (fruity/sweet flavors preferred) and nurse each one for at least an hour. Also, the girls usually pay now, rather than the boys (just an observation) which mortifies most of the men and women over 40.

All that being said, any and all brands are available to me through my distributors, so you let me know when you're coming this way Mike and I will have an ice cold keg of Yuengling Porter tapped for the occasion!

bud truck.jpg

11 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I will have an ice cold keg of Yuengling Porter tapped for the occasion!

I'm surprised you have Yuengling out there. It's home is a few miles from me in Pottsvile. I kind of laugh that in other parts of the country it's priced with the more premium beers. Here in Schuylkill County it's the local swill...............Bob

His Lager is the biggest seller. It's actually quite good and every bar around here has it on tap.  Dick Yuengling is the sole owner of the company and he prices it low in the county. He says to thank the locals for their patronage  since 1829.........Bob

7 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I'm surprised you have Yuengling out there. It's home is a few miles from me in Pottsvile. I kind of laugh that in other parts of the country it's priced with the more premium beers. Here in Schuylkill County it's the local swill...............Bob

I don't really. What I have is a good pal here, who owns a bar back in PA. and says it's his best seller too!  He keeps threatening to bring me some so maybe I'll take him up on it now!

On 12/29/2019 at 6:20 PM, GregLaR said:

I don't really. What I have is a good pal here, who owns a bar back in PA. and says it's his best seller too!  He keeps threatening to bring me some so maybe I'll take him up on it now!

At the risk of beating the beer horse to death: I just read in our local paper Pottsville will hold a New Years eve party in the towns square. Instead of a big ball dropping at midnight a lighted big bottle of Yuengling Lager will be raised.😀.

A number of old cars will be present (to appease forum purests).................Bob

1 minute ago, Joe in Canada said:

Sorry I am not a beer drinker so I will be cracking open a bottle of Crown Royal Reserve to toast in the new year. Just two fingers though. 

Cheers everyone and a happy new year to you all. 

Joe in Canada 

And a very happy New Year to all our friends to the north..........Eh..........Bob

• Like 1