Redoing my interior

crowvet

39 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Are the wood inserts from Scanlon? Is your shift knob insert black or is that an optical illusion?

Tom

Inserts are from Riviwood....Yes my shifter insert is black.

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Black only in '63 and in the '64 standard interior cars.  Wood grain in all others,

Really? pretty sure my black one is the original to my car. It is a 65 with standard interior.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:11 AM, XframeFX said:

Our Projects rely heavily on parts and differ from a Tri-Five or Camaro and Mustang where you could whip out your credit card and buy almost anything for them. Admittingly when I'm struggling, I just want to go that way to simply minimize bad luck which I've had a lot of. Hind-sight shows I did many things the hard way.

I thank the people here for insight some of which I already know but because of it, helps us all to relate to each other. Ed, thanks for your tips just now. I will follow through on those seat track slides.

I think part of my frustration is relying on those parts and hoping the next shipment will allow me to move ahead. I just now realize that more than half of those shipments whether new or used have been incorrect, missing parts or absolute junk! I already have enough parts to do another Riviera or 2.

The other part of my frustration has been those courier companies, UPS is the worst! They nail us Canadians with brokerage, conversion, holding and every imaginable processing fee! This is the reason I don't bother returning incorrect new parts.

My experience with Clark's has been very good. Products from  them has had a significant positive impact on my project!

ROA Meets, I'd love to attend but my geographical logistics has me at least 3-days drive from any of those events. Best to stick close to home and I met someone in this ROA Forum who resides in my city and has had a similar experience. He too put his '64 Riviera in a 25 year sleep while raising a family and has put only 1000 miles on it since the '90s! We haven't met in person but plan to at a local event in the summer.

Once the Interior is done, I can get back to doing what I really enjoy. I'm in my element doing mechanical work!

Hi John,

Your post sure resonates with me and the plight of us Canadian owners who must navigate the border to get anything for our cars!

Even Canada Post is rapacious in tacking on extra fees and handling charges for packages brought up from the States.  This on top of the awful exchange rate on our measly Petro dollar...  Years ago I got tired of the hassle of importing parts into Canada and now get my stuff sent to a PO Box in Washington State.  Luckily for me it's only an hour's drive from Vancouver.  I pay the mail drop $5 US per package and I clear the goods thru the border myself.  Most of the time I get waived thru Customs so don't pay any duties or taxes.  This isn't an easy option for you living in Edmonton... It would be a 13 hour return drive to Sweet Grass, Montana!  Oh well...

Couldn't be much worse than something I bought from a guy in Bettendorf, IA - 370 miles me.  On the 17th, I checked the tracking number and was told it was to be here on the 20th.  The 20th passes an no package.  I check the FedEx website again and I get the message "no info for this number."  A couple of days pass and I try it again.  "Your package is in transit from some city in Oregon; only 1800 miles from me.  I'm anxious to see what kind of shape it's in when it gets here.  If ever.

On 3/8/2020 at 12:22 PM, RivNut said:

Not surprised that OPGI stuff isn't correct.  The seats for standard and custom interiors are exactly the same except for the color and quality of the vinyl.  Did you look at the foam offered by Clark's Corvair?  I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with any of Calvin Clark's goods.

I’m a big fan of Clark’s and use their products. After about 7-10 button covers came off My 63 leather upholstery I finally found a way to reattach the button covers so they will never come off. So far, the  button covers have not come off.

Turbinator

On 2/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, RivNut said:

I think that a lot of the independent manufacturers do this kind of thing.  Glenn at Mr. G's returned all of the screws that I sent to him as well as one of the kits he started reproducing.  If you think of a part that all of us need, send it to one of these guys and see if they can do something with it.  The 63 parts cars that I used for the interior kit were messed up body wise or I would have pulled all of the exterior screws and had Glenn make an exterior bolt and screw kit.  It might be nice if someone would get all of the bolt descriptions together so ARP could put together an engine bolt kit, not the dress up kits, but head bolts, bearing cap bolts, etc.

Interesting you mention the subject of fasteners. I have my engine out To the machinist preparing for a rebuild. the service manual step by step instructions will guide me on how to put it back together.

The fasteners I removed from the engine and the bay have been bagged and marked. Now, I’m revisiting the fasteners and identifying the fasteners that I’ve beat up that need to be replaced. I’m not sure if they are grade 5 and up. The #10 24 hexhead screws seem to be all over the place. I think by washing the fasteners in parts cleaner then buffing them a little should help them to go back easier.

Turbinator

Well almost finished, I am pretty happy with the results. Some areas look a little better than others. Overall it is clean, smells fresh, and makes the car run and drive better. This car is going to be a driver, so overall I am happy.

IMG_1894.JPG

• Like 3

On 3/29/2020 at 11:12 AM, crowvet said:

Well almost finished, I am pretty happy with the results. Some areas look a little better than others. Overall it is clean, smells fresh, and makes the car run and drive better. This car is going to be a driver, so overall I am happy.

Daryle, if it was a race, you won! Key difference between your 1965 interior project and my total 1963 car project is you are dealing with original parts to your car. I am throwing mostly 1963 parts into my 1963 Riviera and finding mid-year production changes and mystery holes or lack of holes.

I finally installed my 1963 console this past weekend after fitting it over and over again massaging brackets and drilling holes. Actually a 2-man job. I found that hole I drilled for that sometimes used screw below the rear courtesy light was handy while jimmying the PIA console in-place by quickly shoving an awl down that hole, locking it. I could then relax, inspect all around and start with the  screws. I soon realized I forgot the duct and had to start over! I can see how that cardboard duct goes missing! For me, I am NEVER going to deal with that console again. This is a problem because I combined 1963 & 65 shifters for a now future Dynaflow to ST400 swap. The console has to come off to use the modified shifter, Plan-A. Tonight I devised a Plan-B to modify the existing Dynaflow shifter from the top without removing the console. Anyway, next winter for that. Inspiration coming back, finally moving on!

My ACC carpet is not impressive with raw edges showing, required installation of welting on front pieces at an upholstery shop. I now see the front edge of the rear carpet needs welting as well. Too late, now. Is StockInteriors.com and ACCmats.com the same manufacturer?

I have an interior question. Does anyone know where to source that chrome acorn jam nut that grabs the seat pivot shaft? Should've inquired with my last parts shipment.

9 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Daryle, if it was a race, you won! Key difference between your 1965 interior project and my total 1963 car project is you are dealing with original parts to your car. I am throwing mostly 1963 parts into my 1963 Riviera and finding mid-year production changes and mystery holes or lack of holes.

I finally installed my 1963 console this past weekend after fitting it over and over again massaging brackets and drilling holes. Actually a 2-man job. I found that hole I drilled for that sometimes used screw below the rear courtesy light was handy while jimmying the PIA console in-place by quickly shoving an awl down that hole, locking it. I could then relax, inspect all around and start with the  screws. I soon realized I forgot the duct and had to start over! I can see how that cardboard duct goes missing! For me, I am NEVER going to deal with that console again. This is a problem because I combined 1963 & 65 shifters for a now future Dynaflow to ST400 swap. The console has to come off to use the modified shifter, Plan-A. Tonight I devised a Plan-B to modify the existing Dynaflow shifter from the top without removing the console. Anyway, next winter for that. Inspiration coming back, finally moving on!

My ACC carpet is not impressive with raw edges showing, required installation of welting on front pieces at an upholstery shop. I now see the front edge of the rear carpet needs welting as well. Too late, now. Is StockInteriors.com and ACCmats.com the same manufacturer?

I have an interior question. Does anyone know where to source that chrome acorn jam nut that grabs the seat pivot shaft? Should've inquired with my last parts shipment.

It was never a race John, we are in this together...... I understand the challenges you are facing on your car. Believe me I had a few myself. Although my car has original parts to the car, it is no virgin... It has had it's share of poor quality work done. My front seats were my biggest challenge. They had been apart before and were a mess, I am not totally happy with them, but as my dad says.... it is what it is. You are doing a awesome job on your car. I posted a link to where i got the acorn caps you are looking for.

• Like 1

Thank-You Daryle, for that Link. I must be using the wrong words in my online searches. I received 2 seat slides from Bestoffercounts yesterday, Never thought anyone would be selling them. Saved my bacon!

Just LOLing on the 'race' part.

I appreciate you sharing your experience. I see you splurged for those nice tri-shield mats with your carpet order and ordered carpeted kick panels from Clarks. My approach was splurging for 'mass-backing'  which I think caused it to be sub'd-out to stockinteriors.com and adding extra material w/o mass-backing for kick panel and OK, the doors too. This pushed the price to my residence astronomically high.

Your front seats looks good and might wear-in nicely, like a pair of shoes. I feel the same way with my rear parcel shelf. I did not go with the fiberglass version. "Good from far but far from good"!

48 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

Thank-You Daryle, for that Link. I must be using the wrong words in my online searches. I received 2 seat slides from Bestoffercounts yesterday, Never thought anyone would be selling them. Saved my bacon!

Just LOLing on the 'race' part.

I appreciate you sharing your experience. I see you splurged for those nice tri-shield mats with your carpet order and ordered carpeted kick panels from Clarks. My approach was splurging for 'mass-backing'  which I think caused it to be sub'd-out to stockinteriors.com and adding extra material w/o mass-backing for kick panel and OK, the doors too. This pushed the price to my residence astronomically high.

Your front seats looks good and might wear-in nicely, like a pair of shoes. I feel the same way with my rear parcel shelf. I did not go with the fiberglass version. "Good from far but far from good"!

I ordered the mats on ebay as well, Perfect match and best price I found for them. If you would like the link, let me know. The kick panels made a nice improvement to the overall look of the interior. The more I look at my interior, the better it is looking to me. I think I may be just lowering my standards subconsciously. I am now undercoating the bottom of the car and trying to correct small wind leaks around my drivers door glass. I replaced every seal on my Corvette and still have wind noise, so not sure how much time I will dedicate to that. It is not bad at all, it just bothers me. keep me updated on your progress, wouldn't want you getting ahead of me LOL 

• 2 years later...
On 3/12/2020 at 6:25 PM, RivNut said:

After a while besides becoming distorted, the older interior lamp lenses started to yellow.  Just a couple of years ago, the round console/sail panel lights were still available from the dealerships.  That same lens was still used in other later model GM products.

A loooooooong time ago, before 1st generation Riveras became so popular with restorers/enthusiasts, some guys were fashioning the rear lenses in the console from plastic milk jugs.  

I'm looking for how to replace the console lense, does it just pop off?  I have the original one that is yellowed and i bet it will just fall apart when I try to take it off. thanks!

39 minutes ago, PaulMuzz said:

I'm looking for how to replace the console lense, does it just pop off?

Rear Console lamp? Pull the ashtray out above it if I remember correctly.

Replacement lenses are flat, not concave.