FLYER15015

Forum manners, lets improve them

Ronnie,

Per above "what did you do to resolve this issue" = I posted it in the biggest forum thread I could find, "General", 'cause it gets the most hits, = problem solved.

It is a pleasure to respond to some one's NAME rather that their "handle".

It took me a long time to figure out it was Ed in Mass, rather than edin mass.

Now I can address him as Ed when I post.

Ben is easy, but you have to watch out for the "AKA". It will  throw you.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Peter,

You know Ben is just pulling your chain.......

I've met Ben recently, and I found him to be a gentleman in every sense of the word.

Mike in Colorado

PS; Wooops, I've not read the rules either. Best get at that now!!!

I just try to behave well enough to make my grandmother proud.

Sometimes with some folks it is a real struggle.

You are too kind, Mike. But I will accept the platitudes!  

No I really was not even yanking Peters chain.  Just mouthing an opinion on what new folks [ older as well!] are not doing. FOR THE RECORD ,I am content with the forum and thankful for same.

Mike, your new avatar fools me everytime.

Ben

Ben,

Yes I know it says "40 Buick team member and the picture is of the '31 Imperial = "gotcha"

Guess it's a case of divided loyalty, since I could not afford to buy Sandy Jones '33 black Buick series 90.

Lord know I wanted it, ever since I got a ride in it several years ago when I visited him in Ft. Collins, Colorado.

Another fine gentleman that I miss............

Mike in Colorado

2 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

It is a pleasure to respond to some one's NAME rather that their "handle".

It took me a long time to figure out it was Ed in Mass, rather than edin mass.

Now I can address him as Ed when I post.

Ben is easy, but you have to watch out for the "AKA". It will  throw you.

Ideally yes and I will in private messages, but from a privacy point of view I can understand - we don’t know what some people do for a living etc. Same reason I guess phonebooks and clubs let people be unlisted 

I also agree we do seem to get a bunch of posts where it seems more like an estate valuation service, but I actually think that people seem to get a kick out of those threads trying to work out what a part is and what it’s worth. 

I tend to be a bit selective of the threads I answer. If a newbie posts an odd question I'll pass and find something of interest. The simple "Thank You" doesn't take long to type.  Bob 

• Like 1

I am pleased to see this is a request for common courtesy rather than a reaction to a fight. 

I have been on internet message boards since the year 2000, based on my observation and experience, the people who join a forum specifically to ask a question are never heard from again about 99% of the time, with a few random people deciding to stick around and become part of the community. 

The people who join because they have a passion for the topic are the ones who become the "regulars", and it's predicated on each person's personality whether they post repeatedly or are the kind who when they speak, you stop and listen. I am the former rather than the latter. 

No rules put in place really matter. They will be ignored, aside from those who don't even bother to read them, there's many people who think that they don't apply to them. 

• Like 2

Ever notice how friendly the self anointed are when a newbie asks a question? The same self anointed also wonder were the hobby is going. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People not responding to accurate help? That's what they do about 90% of the time, but if they are never heard from again, take comfort in knowing that the information provided was most likely accurate and resolved their issue.

It's a "Support" scenario. I can attest after doing email support on products for many years it's a thankless job, most people will not respond once their problem is resolved. It's a "No news is good news" situation.

However in a searchable support forum like this, the exchange is archived, so the information stays there for future access and reference. So, that is a good thing. It cuts down on rehashing the same topic repeatedly and cuts down on the drive-by one-timers.

-Ron

• Like 3

Hard to force someone to come back and thank us for the help or give us an update.

But the side benefit is that this forum shows up on Google searches and other people looking for a similar solution may find it and benefit from it. I bet every thread solving a problem, regardless of whether the guy reports back, helps many other people solve similar problems. That's a worthy outcome.

• Like 6