55 roadmaster 2 spd dyna tourque ball u-joint

thegnu

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone !

I thought I had the vibration problem in my car solved , I did some cusory searches nothing too deep an found the u-joint I needed at Kanter , they no longer have availability on it . does any one know of alternate sources , I have searched for it on a few caddy sites to no avail. Many members here have convinced me to not swap out the rear end an trans for a modern setup, over a bad u joint. any help will be very appreciated .

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Be sure it is the u-joint.  A worn bushing in the torque ball will cause vibration as will a loose outer torque ball retainer.  If needed a used u-joint will serve you well if it appears serviceable after inspection.

I will check those after I take it apart , most likely replace them as well to be sure , but I am almost sure its the u joint. I just cant seem to find one an I like to pre order all parts ahead of time .

On 12/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, thegnu said:
On 12/25/2019 at 9:57 AM, old-tank said:

Be sure it is the u-joint.  A worn bushing in the torque ball will cause vibration as will a loose outer torque ball retainer.  If needed a used u-joint will serve you well if it appears serviceable after inspection.

I will check those after I take it apart , most likely replace them as well to be sure , but I am almost sure its the u joint. I just cant seem to find one an I like to pre order all parts ahead of time .

On 12/28/2019 at 7:38 AM, Dennis Hagen said:

I had same problem with my 56, strong vibration at 30 mph. Trans fluid flowing down torque to rear end left bushing in torque un lubricated. 

One more thing:  check for transmission fluid in the torque tube.  Drill a hole in the bottom in front of the rear flange.  Trans fluid in the torque tube (and fluid in the driveshaft) will cause vibration.  If you find rear end lube (from a faulty pinion seal) that is no concern...the fluid will find a level below the driveshaft.  Trans fluid can get into the rear and cause lots of problems.  A torque ball kit at the front is the fix.

• Like 1