V12 Head removal

crazycars

My newly acquired 1948 Lincoln V12 appears to have several stuck valves after long term storage. I am considering removing the heads to gain access to the valves but have heard that these particular heads are really difficult to remove. Why, i can't imagine.  (rusty studs?) Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

You can try dribbling Marvel Mystery oil into the carburetor with the engine running about 1,000rpm. After 1/2 of the quart container is empty, pour the rest into the engine fast enough to kill it, but not fast enough to cause a hydraulic lock. Let it sit a couple of days and repeat the procedure. If that doesn't free up your valves, you will have to do a valve job on the engine with new springs and guides.

Cast iron heads should come off with a little persuasion. Aluminum heads are more difficult. Let us know which heads you have and then we can give you help for which procedure to use.

What makes you think you have stuck valves? Spray CRC down plug hole around side of valve head with plastic straw provided with CRC can. Some valves can be tapped down gently thru spark plug hole. [Check  Cam Down].Remove  inlet manifold and spray CRC around lower valve stems and guides. Use valve pry bar to pull any stuck valves down.[ CCD]. Also spray down inlet valve port holes. If you still have sticking valves after this remove appropriate  head,s.  take them right out, clean them up. 

• Like 1

A compression check would let you know if you have stuck valves.

If 10 cylinders pass the compression test, you can use the MMO to free the others.  The V-12 will start and run on 6 cylinders as quite a few people have found out when their Lincoln runs but has no power.

The way that I would approach the starting problem is to do a compression check to see if the valves and rings are working.

Next I would check to see if I had good spark at all cylinders.

Next I would make sure that the engine was getting fresh fuel into the cylinders.

Come back here with your questions if the checks do not provide good results.

• Like 1