23 Buick Carburetor

carmover

Brass knob top even with end of clicker arm. 

3/4 turn out with the screw on the bottom.  Believe the book says 1 1/2.   Guessing my needle is very worn. 

All this assumes correct Marvel with correct damper spring and a well sealing flapper valve. 

Good float and float height and float not loose and rubbing on bowl wall. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Brass knob top even with end of clicker arm. 

3/4 turn out with the screw on the bottom.  Believe the book says 1 1/2.   Guessing my needle is very worn. 

All this assumes correct Marvel with correct damper spring and a well sealing flapper valve. 

Good float and float height and float not loose and rubbing on bowl wall. 

Brian I know about the air adjustment under the clicker but my 23 has a cup under the bottom and a float or some kind of plunger in it that goes up and down and Ican't find any fuel adjustment on it .This is a 1923 Buick model 50 sedan which is a master not a standard and has the six cyll engine.

Edited by carmover (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, carmover said:

Brian I know about the air adjustment under the clicker but my 23 has a cup under the bottom and a float or some kind of plunger in it that goes up and down and Ican't find any fuel adjustment on it .This is a 1923 Buick model 50 sedan which is a master not a standard and has the six cyll engine.

That cup is a dash pot for the air spring / valve. I don't know what I'm talking about other than I read it on here last week. I don't think you need to adjust it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Sounds like an earlier carb than a ‘23. 

2 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Sounds like an earlier carb than a ‘23. 

I'm not sure if it is an earlier carb than a 23 but it was what was on it and it is working pretty good but it has a little white smoke when it is cold and warming up.It clears up when the engine is warm.Someone shared some carb adjusting information that it showed the proper adjustments advancing and retarding the spark and whether  and when to open the throttle or not when adjusting and I tried it on the 25 and the engine is running smoother and getting better fuel economy than before.So whatever marval this is I want to adjust it as perfect as possible 

8 hours ago, Mark Kikta said:

This is my 1922 Carburetor and you can see the  fuel adjustment annotated.  Looks like yours may be the same.

Carb.jpg

Mark thanks for the picture. Mine looks exactly like  that one and I went down and checked and I found the fuel needle right where it is supposed to be.The dash pot has a ratchet so it must have some kind of adjustment on it. but mine screwed right off and I didn't feel any ratchet to it.   

Edited by carmover (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Jim Milewski said:

This is my 23-6-48 Marvel carb - Happy Holidays

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

Happy Holidays to you too Jim! I noticed on your 23 carb it doesn't have the dash pot on the bottom and I noticed in Larry's pictures that they do not have the dash pot so I must have a 22 carb and maybe a 22 engine in my car.I have had several early 20's experts tell me something didn't look right.One thing is mine doesn't have the oiling ports on the valve covers.

• Like 1