cold start problems

I am sure this has been covered but I am too lazy to look for it. Suddenly my reliable 3.8 has developed a problem starting in the morning or when the engine is cold. Even before the weather started to change the problem began. I seem to remember someone mentioning the fuel pressure valve?/sensor? on the fi manifold as the likely culprit. (Does this vehicle have a cold start valve? Where is it?) Anyway suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.. or point me to previous answers. She starts fine if the engine is warm but once it sits for an hour or so i have to grind like crazy to get her to kick over. 90K ,89 coupe. No other symtoms that I have noticed.

thanks, maark

Since I have a guage ( smile.gif ) would start with the fuel pressure on a cold start. Pump is supposed to energize for two seconds on key-on then is off until oil pressure builds up over about 6 psi

Sans guage try this: on cold start, crank for two seconds & turn the key all the way off if it has not fired, then repeat. If you have a guage, watch for the rise.

If pump is lazy/failing when cold so you do not get "enough" in two seconds, there you are.

Guest Buick Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am sure this has been covered but I am too lazy to look for it. </div></div> ooo.gif

Coil pack or possibly ignition control module. Do the coil pack first.

Mike

For a person with normal hearing, you should be able to hear the fuel pump with the engine off. Could also be a blocked fuel line or filter but if OK warm then is most likely the fuel pump not turning on/slow to turn on.

What happened when you tried key on two seconds off for one and cycle a few times then try to start ?

To check relay action you just put a DVM on the output of the relay.

Digital Volt Meter. Should be able to find one for under U$20

Well, that was easy. Next step is either to troubleshoot (meter) or throw parts at it (relay).