Created overheating issue, need suggestions

stvaughn

1932 REO. I’ve been driving this car in hot weather (90 +) for two years with no problems. However I had a some water seepage in a crack in the head and a head gasket leak so I decided to “fix” it with some super duper stop leak. K&W Fiberlock. 
CCA1CA77-DC1F-4D7B-821D-2F780686C0F6.thumb.jpeg.c8c97c3b36f9e6ff7c795adba3086929.jpeg

Well, it sealed the leaks just fine but now I’m overheating. In the process of trying to find out what went wrong I noticed the lower radiator hose would collapse when I reved up the engine. I’ve never had that problem before so I’m guessing this stuff has clogged up the radiator. I’ve tried back flushing, filling and driving and draining and repeating several times. I put a stiff coil of wire in the lower hose and when I rev up the engine I can see the hose trying to pull in. I’ve thought about trying a mixture of water and alcohol to see if that might dissolve the stoppage. Any suggestions before I bite the bullet and pull the radiator?

Steve

12 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Bite the bullet

Wisdom valued way beyond money..............years of experience dictate the fastest, easiest, and best way to fix it. Do it right the first time........and, by the way, I know it sucks........fix the crack correctly........have it stitched. The easy crack fix takes a driver with an issue into a piece of garage art. Usually not the owners fault, as most have no idea on how to correctly proceed. Now yo have a car with a cracked block, a plugged radiator, and probably other issues to deal with along the way. Take your time, do it right, and it will work out fine.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

edinmass said it for me. It is simple chemistry. Hot water comes up and the cold water is drawn through from the lower hose when the thermostat is open. Whenever an engine is hot, open the rad cover and see the hot water is coming from the head into the rad. It is another way   to check the thermostat is operating. IF THE RAD IS PLUGED THE HOT WATER IS LOCKED IN THE RAD . THE PUMP HAS NOTHING TO SUCK THERE BY CAUSING THE LOWER RAD HOSE TO COLAPSE. Clean the rad out. I do not think the hose is defective. This condition will cause the engine to overheat further aggravating the cracked head. It is possible that the thermostat is not opening to allow free flow from head through  radiator  through sucking from lower rad hose and back completing the cycle.. You may want to try removing the thermostat temporarily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way that stop leak stuff works is to coat the inner surfaces of the entire cooling system and then it gets pushed out the crack by pressure. If your cooling system is not pressurized, it may not find the crack and will just circulate around until it settles on every surface. In older radiators with small tubes, it can clog them completely. Then it sets up like concrete. It's the kiss of death on a car with a non-pressurized cooling system and a slow death on all others.

The best thing to do is what Ed and others mentioned: pull the radiator and the head and have them properly serviced and repaired. New gaskets. There are no shortcuts. Ask me how I know...

Block5.thumb.jpg.cde117e953a351847811946525beea2e.jpg  12660.thumb.jpeg.f6794e3d333caa4d2c4a6634e53b7ed1.jpeg  12714.thumb.jpeg.50eb4eefa5738f6fda58e0c6906d223c.jpeg  20180707_164618.thumb.jpg.4cb5c5e0010aa70e8e13fa48ec43344e.jpg

• Like 1

I had a 1952 Chevy that I put a lot of "stop leak" in to, trying to seal a head gasket. Turned out that wasn't the problem but I did seal up the thermostat pretty well. 

It might at least be worth removing the thermostat to see if the problem persists. 

• Like 1

A 1932 Reo ? I would guess does not have a pressurise system. If the head is cracked the water would leak down into the combustion chamber and through the exhaust as white smoke.  Driven  enough the radiator will go empty, added to the plugged tubes will leave no water for the pump to suck therefor the crimped  lower hose.  Plug the lower hose and pour a gallon of vaporust and keep it there for a few days and see if that will help.

Evapo Rust =good stuff.  Wires in radiator hoses - suction side = good stuff.  That said, time to start shopping for an extra head and get at least one repaired and installed.  Olsen's is great for gaskets - https://www.olsonsgaskets.com/ .  And honeycomb radiators tend to clog more so than you would think, but here is the real problem - when you mess around with heads, radiators, and ... to work around some problem you stand a strong chance of creating a block issue/more serious issue.  I hear tales at least once a month from someone who tired to put up with some overheating issue to destroy their engine in the process - spare engines do not grow on trees and best to just address properly. 

• Thanks 1

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I have been trying to locate a replacement head for two years with no luck. This head had been stick welded in the past which makes proper repair more difficult which is why I tried the Fiberlock product. 

Anyway, I called CRC tech support to see if they had any suggestions. 

Ok, bad news, good news. When I told him my situation and stated that I believe his product stopped up the radiator he said “ Yes, it does that sometimes.” He then explained that the radiator would have to be replaced because his product had “set up” in the core. He also explained that the product was not suitable for zero pressure cooling systems which is not noted on the container.

He then sent me a claim form to fill out for reimbursement of the cost of a replacement radiator which was a total surprise to me. Apparently it’s a known issue with this product. Since this is a new core in the radiator I know what the cost will be. 

Hopefully all I’ll be out is my time. We’ll see if they reimburse me for the full cost of getting a replacement core. 

• Like 1

I have a guy who can fix the head......even though someone welded on it. That’s a very bad idea. Head should be cut and stitched, then surfaced and painted. Install a new core. Flush and clean the block. Rebuild the water pump while your there. Start ASAP, as spring is almost here and every one is busy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I have a guy who can fix the head......even though someone welded on it. That’s a very bad idea. Head should be cut and stitched, then surfaced and painted. Install a new core. Flush and clean the block. Rebuild the water pump while your there. Start ASAP, as spring is almost here and every one is busy. 

Ed, please give me the name/number of someone to fix the head. 

Thanks, Steve 

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

I developed a leak in the bottom of my radiator in my 35 Buick after using evaporust in it so I added a bottle of Bars stop leak. So far everything's o.k.I guess I got lucky.Greg

Not luck Greg, you picked a tried and true product with many years of happy, satisfied customers.

This is the work done by the person Ed is sure to recommend for metal stitching up in New England. It is extremely impressive. Whatever it costs to ship your head there and whatever he charges to repair it, pay it and never worry about it again.

12660.thumb.jpeg.8fc0a865327fefd324f3582c8b4d8c26.jpeg  12714.thumb.jpeg.51175568f8da9646f89e933920ebeb73.jpeg

• Like 1