Sign in to follow this  
Stuart57

63 Riviera ID

Stuart 

This site ought to help a lot: http://www.tpocr.com/buickbp3.html

STYLE: 63-4747 = 1963 Model Year  2-Door Sports Coupe

BODY: FB33308  = a body number assigned by Fisher

TRIM: 737 J2 = Sandlewood, the J2 escapes me but may be a notation for an accessory: if so 4-Way Tilt Power Seat (but should be?? listed as an Accessory with the others)

PAINT: TT = Fawn Mist. The first T is the color of the top; the second is the body color

ACC:

D -  Sonomatic Radio

S7 - Remote Control Outside Mirror

I6 - Soft-Ray Tinted Glass

N2 - Air Conditioning

U7 - Power Windows

Craig

Edited by Craig Balzer
More fully explain J2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, J2 is the power seat.

D = radio of some type, not specified here. It told Fisher Body to put a hole in the fender for a radio antenna, but did not specify if it was manual or power, and did not say which kind of radio (3 to choose from in '63, including AM/FM).

The week this body was built (3rd week of May, 1963, that's the 05C in the upper left corner of the plate) was the first week in '63 that the firewall was painted satin black. Prior to this they were painted body color.

The 737 = Sandlewood is for Sandlewood cloth & vinyl. Not as cool looking as the 798 interior option, the Saddle leather & vinyl with the Fawn Mist paint.

• Like 1

Thank you, it is now Bronze Mist in colour, the 4 way drivers seat may be right. Not sure who put the GS badges on it. I've included some photos, would appreciate some feedback.

I know the rear luggage rack is not original, but i like it...

2019-07-19 16.39.51.jpg

2019-07-19 16.40.58.jpg

2019-07-19 16.41.19.jpg

2019-07-19 16.42.14.jpg

All of this information, plus a lot more, is on the ROAs website. There's a link to the ROA in my signature.   

In 1963, the Riviera had three choices for wheel covers; the base cover, a wire wheel cover, and a cast aluminum cover. The wheels on your car were not avaiable on the Riviera until 1965. In 65, the webs were painted a light silver, black webs appeared in mid 67.  The ribbed rocker panels were a 1965 only item; standard equipment with the custom interior, but available as an option on the base interior equipped cars.  Not available on a 63 or 64. The passenger's side mirror could be added at a dealership or by the owner, but it was not an "authorized" option.  A driver's side mirror was reversed and mounted on the passenger's door.  The hood ornament, and perhaps the hood spear, are from a 64 or 65.  There was not Gran Sport option in 1963, it first appeared in 1965. That option included the 360 horsepower A8 engine (two four barrel carburetors), a modified transmission, positive traction rear end, and a bunch of other bling.  As far as your TT paint code, there were no two tone Rivieras.  Only options installed at the Fisher Body plant appear on the data plate.  Options that were installed when the body was shipped to final assembly (engine, chassis, front clip, etc) are not posted on the body of the car. You would need to find the original window sticker or the build sheet for a list of those options. By the time your car was manufactured, the 425 engine was available as an option.  There are numbers stamped into the block that help you identify your engine as either the standard 401 or the optional 425.

The best tools you can have for caring for your car are a 63 chassis manual and a membership in the Riviera Owners Assn.

Enjoy driving your Riviera and welcome to the forum.  If you have a question, some one here will have an answer.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks everybody for your knowledge. I see "B1349046" on the valley near thermostat . I think 401 62-66 , so not sure if it is original engine ? Any thought on that ?

Ed I have a CD as in photo, does that cover it ? Its not easy to read on a screen. A hard copy was too expensive , postage. And I very much enjoy driving it.

IMG_2257.PNG

Stuart,

I have both the paper copies and pdf of the chassis and body manuals. The chassis looks like this (both paper and pdf), your might be fine but it looks different.

Btw where are you located in Australia, I am in Melbourne?

31B54AAB-A05A-4BFA-B559-D11614CF3384.png

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Stuart,

I have both the paper copies and pdf of the chassis and body manuals. The chassis looks like this (both paper and pdf), your might be fine but it looks different.

Btw where are you located in Australia, I am in Melbourne?

31B54AAB-A05A-4BFA-B559-D11614CF3384.png       

Hi , I'm in Brisbane, yes it does look different , not sure if I got the right one.

Stuart,

Here is a link to the Buick club in QLD, that and ROA would be valuable to belong to for you. There is a ROA meet each second year Down Under and this year it was in Adelaide.

https://buickcarclubaustralia.com

I have added the second page from my chassis manual, if you have that info for the Riviera (4700)  then I guess you are fine.

F0C02D41-23A0-4B8D-B037-835CBA1116C8.png

26 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Stuart,

Here is a link to the Buick club in QLD, that and ROA would be valuable to belong to for you. There is a ROA meet each second year Down Under and this year it was in Adelaide.

https://buickcarclubaustralia.com

I have added the second page from my chassis manual, if you have that info for the Riviera (4700)  then I guess you are fine.

F0C02D41-23A0-4B8D-B037-835CBA1116C8.png

Yes its the same, so all good..

Hi Stuart,

welcome to wonderful world of Buick Riviera ownership down under. Nice colour combination of what you have and the boot luggage rack looks good. Buick did list them as an accessory in the brochure, so it might be dealer fitted. The Riviera Owners Association is a great group of owners and worth joining, for they have so much information on these Buick. This forum is also a great resource for information and parts.

Enjoy!

Rodney

South Australia ( just south of the Queensland border 😀😀😀😀😀😀🤔😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stuart57 said:

Thanks everybody for your knowledge. I see "B1349046" on the valley near thermostat . I think 401 62-66 , so not sure if it is original engine ? Any thought on that ?

Ed I have a CD as in photo, does that cover it ? Its not easy to read on a screen. A hard copy was too expensive , postage. And I very much enjoy driving it.

IMG_2257.PNG

The number you quoted above is a casting number.  It identifies the casting before any machine work has been done on it.  The numbers you need are stamped into the block, not part of the casting.  Those numbers are on the machined surface, on the top of the block where the valley cover sits - behind the water crossover manifold.  On the passenger's side you should find the letter J for 1963, and either a T for a 401 or a W for a 425.  On the driver's side you should find some numbers that match the VIN on the cowl plate. The production code is the cubic inch / year identifier, the engine serial number (a 63 number will be much shorter ) should match part of the VIN. This illustration is for a 1966 (M) 401 (T) the 123 numbers are irrelevant.

id_nailhead.jpg.3bd135cf5b4ec3a50497b395b5aadd65.jpg

Send some pictures of the engine compartment if you would.

The hood spear is concave which makes it a 64/65 item.  Also, the tail light lenses have been swapped out for 64's.  The 63 should have a Buick Tri-Shield emblem.  No harm, no foul.  This is a very nice looking car in a nice color combo.  Enjoy the ride!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

The hood spear is concave which makes it a 64/65 item.  Also, the tail light lenses have been swapped out for 64's.  The 63 should have a Buick Tri-Shield emblem.  No harm, no foul.  This is a very nice looking car in a nice color combo.  Enjoy the ride!!

Also has 65 ribbed rockers added. Concur with Pat. A very nice color combination.

Bill

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stuart57 said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2261.PNG

7J = Riviera 1963. 

JT = 1963 401 

And it's painted silver.  1963, Buick painted the engine silver, unlike the standard Buick green that had been used since the early 50s.  The engine should have a red wrinkle finish air cleaner with a decal that has 445 on it.  445 lb ft of torque at 2800 rpm's. The Wildcat head on the snorkel is correct fo 63

1963-buick-riviera-eng2.jpg.58098032a91a5cde1e993191ff9b62fe.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2