Deep Cycle Battery for 12V Accessories?

Crazyfamily

I posted this in the technical section but thought I’d post it here too in the hopes more would chime in.....

So just playing with some ideas here, I know I can add a 6V to 12V up-converter to be able to charge cell phones and so on to my 1927 Buick.

However, I am playing with some ideas of adding  so additional 12V lighting to the car and might want to use some 12V accessories that might tax the 6V generator a bit too much!

So that leaves me with the idea of “maybe” adding a 12V Deep Cycle battery to the car that I can charge up before I go anywhere and the deep cycle battery should give me days of use before I’d need to think about charging it again!

Not sure if I am overthinking this but it is an idea I am paying with.  Anything I do will not take from the car, I am not having the car judged for points at Hershey other than just “showing the car” at local events that aren’t points based.  So I am not modifying the car to hurt is value or anything like that!  

I have an extra battery box/tray that I’m hoping will hang next to the existing factory one, it if doesn’t no biggie I can place the battery elsewhere and still have access to it to charge it when needed!

I value you fine folks and your thoughts and opinions so I figured I ask you all what you think or some ideas you might have kicked about for this?

9D363168-ABF0-436A-8E21-CE2EF7416FE0.jpeg

Seems do-able and the benefit is not having to alter the original wiring harness and accessories.  If you use LEDs for the new lighting, the draw would be minimized for the number of lumens produced.  What kind of a car are we talking about?

• Like 1

1927 Buick Model 27, I’d love to find a way to hide a stator inside of the factory generator housing, and have a rectifier externally and then it would appear totally original to the eye!!

Ive never had a 1927 generator apart so I have no clue how much room is inside of one!

Another approach I used once in the distant past, was to use a pair of 6 Volt batteries in Series, and charging with either a 12 Volt generator or alternator, but taking my "HOT" lead from the terminal between the two batteries to power the car so as to keep it all 6 Volt, but taking a lead from the 12 Volt end to power an A/C unit and other 12V accessories.

I've since passed that car along, but the idea worked, and the 12V generator was essentially indistinguishable from the original 6V model unless you examined the tag. Of course the alternator looked different, and installing the alternator inside the generator case was an idea which became much more expensive.

• Like 1