23 Buick ignition problems

carmover

Many of you have seen an earlier post on my 23 Buick not  firing. This all started a couple of months ago when I took the car to a car show and   and an unexpected little rain shower came up.When I went to start the car for the trip home the ignition switch acted like it was frozen in place and I put a little pressure on it and it came loose and started flipping on and off properly but the car would not start. I went to get my trailer and when I got back I heard the electric fuel pump running with the switch in the off position when I turned on the switch the pump quit running.This is opposite of what it should be doing.When I got home I checked it out and found it was not firing at the  points.I took the wire off of the hot side of the coil  to isolate the ignition switch and ran a jumper wire straight from the battery then checked the points and was getting fire.I got in and the car started right up.I decided something was going on in the ignition side of the switch all lights  and horn are working fine.I pulled the switch and checked it and see nothing inside it that is wrong all contacts look good and the fingers are not bent and are making contact.I put it back together and wired it back up and have accomplished nothing it is still doing the same thing. I need some fresh Ideas if anyone has any.

1 hour ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

There are 2 little pins on the back of the switch lever around the center bolt.  They likely sheared off and the handle is turning but the contacts are not.  

Hugh you are right on the money! one of the pins is sheared off.I am going to temporary install a double  switch under the dash until I get ready to send the switch to Bob's.

This photo shows 1 of the 2 pins sheared off, along with some other larger problems.  Both pins usually fail when the pot metal expands.  Bobs Automoblia carries replacement switch levers and parts.  Best to replace the housing and the switches as the housing hole grows smaller and the switch barrel grows larger.    Hugh

691177986_2017-02-0200_37_51.thumb.jpg.d76594c09ca4fc0e7e76fb54f5a95439.jpg

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2