Sign in to follow this  
demon452

1955 buick hood part question

Ok I know my hood does not have this but the bracket is still there.

on the firewall. I am wondering what's it's purpose is (aligment)?  Maybe someone has 1 for sale. Pic is enclosed and it's what Is circulated.

Thanks in advance.

20191221_162933.jpg

An L shaped bracket, about an inch long that bolts to the cowl just below where the hood-to-cowl seal goes.

I'll look if I have an extra, they seem to be the same 54 to 55.

I have the L bracket. Just looking for the piece on the hood. Also want to know what its actually for?

Thanks

4 hours ago, demon452 said:

Also want to know what its actually for?

Under group 8.019 those parts are referred to as "guide" and "bracket"...so make your own opinion.;)

If you ask me the bracket does performs two things.  It holds the cross member that keeps  the insulation in place.  The U shaped portion, when the hood is closed is positioned under the cowl,  would prevent the hood center at the cowl from flexing upwards as air passes through the radiator and around the engine at speed.    That's my take on it anyway.     

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

If you ask me the bracket does performs two things.  It holds the cross member that keeps  the insulation in place.  The U shaped portion, when the hood is closed is positioned under the cowl,  would prevent the hood center at the cowl from flexing upwards as air passes through the radiator and around the engine at speed.    That's my take on it anyway.     

I once read in the AACA Forum that that was part of a feature that prevents the hood from vibrating in a strong wind condition. I am going from memory from a few years ago.

10 hours ago, Caballero2 said:

I once read in the AACA Forum that that was part of a feature that prevents the hood from vibrating in a strong wind condition. I am going from memory from a few years ago.

This is my thoughts on the that feature.   It simply keeps that portion of the hood form being affected by airflow under the hood.      Quite possible a guide to assure the rear of the hood aligns cleanly with the cowl. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

And, it's a great beer bottle opener....Merry Christmas, all.........................Bob

My thought is the U shaped piece on the hood that contacts the L bracket on the firewall can provide additional electrical ground to the hood to attenuate ignition noise to the radio.  It just rests on that L bracket - theres a shiny wear mark on mine where they contact. Maybe a cleaner connection than through the hinges.

Just a W.A.G. 

• Like 1