CBGSTYLES

1931 Cadillac V12 coupe value?

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Ed and I were commiserating prior about how this Stude was gonna be the deal of the century.  Really nice restoration on a desirable 32 president with 5 window coupe body.  Hammered at 140k so almost 155k all in.  Nice restorations on cool cars still bring money.

63CC3F71-9A05-499F-B64B-5B043A555D2B.jpeg

I think people have a hard time understanding what a nice restoration really is - cars that are incredibly well done, actually drive well, no broken stuff on them, well detailed, and in colors that look appropriate to the period and are equally 2020's attractive too will always bring good money.  Also, helps if a stylish car when it was new.  And I bet there are fewer than 6 that survive. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I think people have a hard time understanding what a nice restoration really is - cars that are incredibly well done, actually drive well, no broken stuff on them, well detailed, and in colors that look appropriate to the period and are equally 2020's attractive too will always bring good money.  Also, helps if a stylish car when it was new.  And I bet there are fewer than 6 that survive. 

Only change I would have made was the tires.

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Only change I would have made was the tires.

Lester look cheap on it - agreed. A blackwall, whitewall, or double whitewall Firestone would be much more appropriate.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It had provisions for a hard chauffeurs top but it was no where to be found.   Might have looked better with that bolted on.

Sort of gypped too in the Landaulette not having a nice luggage trunk on the rack. Also, the luggage rack folding arms appeared missing in auction brochure photos. 

My luggage trunk was out being painted/rechromed trim and I thought it would never get done (showed up about two days prior to the transport), but when finished it was nice to have a 100 point trunk on back of car considering huge car with little to no storage space in it. 

29572882_10156454165462189_2440925655986479070_n.thumb.jpg.be388f08be804472d03f728228ea37e7.jpg

26 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I can't think of a body style I hate more than a landaulette. It's like the mullet of collector cars: formality in front, party in the back, and stupid all over.

World Wide seemed to be hitting home runs all over the field.   This V16 hammered at 152,500 with RHD and Red paint.  Juxtapose that against some of the deals in the Groendyke collection.

https://worldwideauctioneers.com/car-details/?id=71&rid=22

image.thumb.png.b2c6af62cf66b3ce3f33c50b588a619a.png

Just now, John_Mereness said:

An absolute bargain at 900k hammer and 1,000,000 all in.   Set back radiator cars like this one have brought lots more in crappier shape before.    The new owner has the choice of going back to its 1951 Hebmuller colors,  or spend an extra 100k or so and put it back to Cab A configuration.   Keeping in mind that RM sold an "ok"  set back Cab A 2 years ago for 2.4 which we all called a bargain.

Perhaps the coupe top scared off buyers,  or the market is soft as a 2 month old banana.

But,  then World Wide gets 410k hammer and 450k all in for a 37 Packard Convertible Sedan?????????  

image.thumb.png.4066f0b4df1bf6e779bf154bc79a2126.png

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

World Wide seemed to be hitting home runs all over the field.   This V16 hammered at 152,500 with RHD and Red paint.  Juxtapose that against some of the deals in the Groendyke collection.

A little too much red going on for my taste and I like the "standard"  Fleetwood Laundaulette better, older restored but a well documented and neat custom bodied car that should probably have gone higher.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

But,  then World Wide gets 410k hammer and 450k all in for a 37 Packard Convertible Sedan?????????  

image.thumb.png.4066f0b4df1bf6e779bf154bc79a2126.png

That may have set a record price !  It is a nice car and well CCCA award badged, but 37's sort of grow on trees in my opinion.  If anyone wants a nice original 1935 Twelve Convertible Sedan in Packard Yellow - please let me know. 

15 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

That may have set a record price !  It is a nice car and well CCCA award badged, but 37's sort of grow on trees in my opinion.  If anyone wants a nice original 1935 Twelve Convertible Sedan in Packard Yellow - please let me know. 

I was doing the 35/36/37 debate with a couple of guys last week.    I would have went 36 because of the styling and sloped radiator.  37 seems to be the majority preference because of the juice brakes,  but not sure I love the steel wheels.

From what I have seen,  200k buys you the best V12 convertible sedan all day long.   But maybe the issue is I've never seen the best V12 convertible sedan?

Also,  200k buys you any of the Brunn bodied cars, which as a catalog custom should be more desirable.  I guess.

23 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

A little too much red going on for my taste and I like the "standard"  Fleetwood Laundaulette better, older restored but a well documented and neat custom bodied car that should probably have gone higher.

I don't know John.  RHD is death in the states for a car readily available LHD.  Also,  the restoration looks old,  and the color is bad.   Plus I could put on stilts when I climb in that car and not hit my head.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I don't know John.  RHD is death in the states for a car readily available LHD.  Also,  the restoration looks old,  and the color is bad.   Plus I could put on stilts when I climb in that car and not hit my head.

Tall - "Top Hat" cars - yeah, I hear you.

8 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Tall - "Top Hat" cars - yeah, I hear you.

If you want top dollar,  you need to be able to barely see out of the car.  Panoramic views are frowned on by the market.

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If you want top dollar,  you need to be able to barely see out of the car.  Panoramic views are frowned on by the market.

Friends had a Top Hat 1929 Lincoln Limousine - I always liked it as it was probably the finest surviving original 1929 Lincoln, but ....

48 minutes ago, alsancle said:

giphy.gif

And what the hell happened to the headlights?

(That one is definitely going in the "Coachwork Gone Wrong" file for which I may write an article--at the risk of pissing off the owners of said awful cars)

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I would say that are Marchal brand, but they do it no favors and the "brass" backshells do it no favors even more.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I can't think of a body style I hate more than a landaulette. It's like the mullet of collector cars: formality in front, party in the back, and stupid all over.

Matt

Would you make an exception for the '36-'39 Brunn Touring Cabriolets?

The landaulette seem the prefect example of an archaic configuration left over from the horse-drawn carriage/Edwardian Era when the dowager ladies would be chauffeured on the parkway on a sunny Spring afternoon to 'take the air'  on the way to high tea.  None were designed with a top well for the folded top to be concealed neatly in, hence the 'folded mattress' look of the top stack perched on the rear of the body.        

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

giphy.gif

(That one is definitely going in the "Coachwork Gone Wrong" file for which I may write an article--at the risk of pissing off the owners of said awful cars)

Please send me a copy of that, especially if you include color choices and gaudy accessories made by recent owner.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

That one is definitely going in the "Coachwork Gone Wrong" file for which I may write an article

I have a similar file. I named it "Art Deco". It is a aspirational work.

Bernie

Bernie don’t knock “Art Deco” the 38 Studebaker I drive was the Art Deco car of the year 

B2462573-1EC9-462F-9892-F9E4E1896F5E.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS
Found a better pic (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Bernie don’t knock “Art Deco” the 38 Studebaker I drive was the Art Deco car of the year 

B93FA6C4-8ACB-49DE-9342-62CDE6D15CC2.jpeg

Would you be offended if I offered a basic photography tip...?

:)

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/19/2020 at 12:49 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Funny, I won’t own a convertible sedan, but would jump at a landaulette............

19 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Funny, I won’t own a convertible sedan, but would jump at a landaulette............

Are you sure about that?  I can think of atleast one that's probably not too bad. 

I have come close........and would make a special allowance for only one particular brand...........and if I ever pulled the trigger I would never live it down. Anyways, what’s the odds of me finding the one I like at a price I’m willing to pay........probably 10,000 to 1!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Would you be offended if I offered a basic photography tip...?

:)

Offer away ! I never reject knowledge or help. Please know I was driving and my daughter took the picture. I just couldn’t find the one I wanted on this phone. If you could give me helpful advice on doing that I would be even happier!  
Dave S

i think she really was taking a pic of the tree and I just drove into the frame😃