Sign in to follow this  
crazycars

V12 rotor

I recently purchased a 1948 Lincoln Continental V12 out of long (not so great) storage and am finding this car a real mystery.  Would someone kindly explain how the spark is distributed to the distributor caps as I cannot see a conventional rotor(s).  Looking inside, with caps removed, I see a series of brass "tracks" surrounding a rotating shaft. Are these eccentric tracks touching the different posts of the caps as they turn? Help greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Probably your distributor needs rebuilding.  There are remanufactured rotors and caps as they wear down and the gap between them and the plates on each side where the spark plug wires connect are out of tolerance.  Distributor setup and repairs need experienced mechanics fixing them, as well as proper calibration and new points and condensers.  The coil on top of the distributor also needs rebuilding.  Skip Haney in Florida actually removes and cleans out the coils and replaces them with new Ford ignition coils for a nice hot spark.  Old coils do break down over time as the varnish on the copper wiring gives way and the coils have turns shorts which doesn't allow full spark voltage to the plugs.  Jake Fleming in Dallas has always done a good job on the distributors getting them working properly, they it's just a matter of a little 'plug and play for you to reinstall them.  Good Luck!

1936-48 Lincoln V-12 rebuilt distributor assembly HB-12127 | eBay

Here's an example of a rebuilt distributor for sale.  Don't know if it's properly calibrated or not, and you still need rebuilt caps and the coil to go with it.  Might be better to just have your own rebuilt and calibrated but it does give you a look at one.  Also new spark plugs and wires will help insure the best operation with all of this!

The rotor is the long piece that goes from the back of the distributor to the front of the distributor. It has 2 protrusions, one distributes spark to the front terminals of the caps and the other to the rear terminals of the caps.

I agree with Ray500 that your distributor and coil should be checked out by an experienced Lincoln distributor person. Skip Haney in Florida and do that and rebuild your coil as well. Jake also does both, but he has had some health issues lately and may take more time than Skip to do the job.

http://www.fordcollector.com/833099731_Lincolndistributor.jpg.14357033c851ae569927c9f5d997314b.jpg

• Like 1