theKiwi

153 Coupe Wiring Improvements

Posted (edited)

14 ga wire to run 6 volt lights and such, is not the problem. It was the standard in the industry up until the later switch to smaller 16 ga wires used with 12 volt systems. The problems were using too large a fuse. Or as Franklin did starting in 1929, eliminating a fuse from some circuits such as I mentioned the ignition system. For wires that draw more than 14 ga.,  Franklin used 12 and 10 ga - both with a good margin of safety for handling the load that those wires were designed to carry.  

When measuring the actual loads on a wire, I've never seen the need to change Franklin's wire gauge size. And with Series 12 and earlier there are enough fuses to give protection to all the circuits ,..... provided the 20 amp fuses shown in the wiring diagrams are down-sized to only what that circuit actually needs.  I've rewired dozens of Series 10 through 16 and not one circuit needs more than a 15 amp fuse - including upping head lights to using the 32 x 50 cp bulbs, or feeding a turn signal unit with four-way flashers. If it blows a 15 amp, there's something wrong in that circuit, or some things have been added, or combined, that draws more than 14 ga wire should be safely handling. But for just replacing what is standard on a Franklin, 14 ga is fine.

And even breaking up all the circuits to have their own fuse, there are still circuits, such as the starter system and the carburetor fuemers, that are not protected by the "weak link" of a fuse. That's why it's recommended to install a battery kill switch. Even many judging events recognize the added safety of that and don't penalize for the addition of a kill switch.

FYI to all.

The carburetor fuemers/primers should never be connected to a power source. Not only are they not needed with more flammable modern fuels, they risk starting an engine fire.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Roger,

Sent you an email with pix to answer your questions about 153 harness routing.

Paul

Paul - yes, thanks very much for that. It will be very helpful once I get my harness. After the trials and tribulations of the last few weeks (hospital and other things) I finally got with Marcia at Rhode Island Wiring and got that underway, including including a trailer plug into the rear harness for my Mullins trailer.

Again Thanks!!

Roger