Sign in to follow this  
paul55

1937 Buick convertible sedan

Thanks, Brian.  There IS indeed another adjectival meaning of "coronary."  I was visualizing myself turning a color such as green during a coronary attack...  🙂

• Sad 1

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, 60FlatTop said:

01414.jpg.ed7c099f7bf6601506627eda618a694b.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:42 PM, dibarlaw said:

DSCF0705.thumb.JPG.6e0a0654b8b49db872be1963648a7676.JPG

Love those 1937s with a true classic look.

FWIW. One of my earliest memories of a Buick is seeing my Grandpa brush-painting his 1938 Buick 4-door Special black in the early-1950s at his lake cabin. I did get a chance to ride in the front seat with him to the lake once after that and can still recall him working the floor shift. To this day, I always felt that the 1938s have the ugliest grilles (heavy horizontal grille bars) of all the 1930s Buicks and should have been built before the 1937s that have the sleeker thinner grille bars. Typically the newer the model, the more-advanced styling. What was Buick thinking? The same holds true for the rectangular-boxed 1954 Buicks, excluding the Skylark, compared to the 1953s.    

Ho, Ho, Ho !

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"More than 500 Miles NSE or W from the North Pole"

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

That is hilarious...there must be another meaning to the word.

History and Etymology for coronary

Adjective

borrowed from New Latin corōnārius "of a crown, encircling a body organ like a crown," going back to Latin, "of garlands or wreaths," from corōna "garland, wreath worn on the head as a mark of honor or emblem of majesty"

• Like 2

In one of the "Honeymooners", Ralph Kramden drives a '37 Buick Open sedan with side mounts and tries to escape to a hunting lodge with Norton, while trying to leave the wives behind. Does anyone know what year/show this was?  It was one of the high quality shows, not one of earlier shows.

• Like 1

honeymooners3.jpg

honeymooners5.jpghoneymooners2.jpg

honeymooners4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure that it really matters but the car in the "Honeymooners"  is not a Special. It is a large series. Note the lack of "suicide" doors.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Not sure that it really matters but the car in the "Honeymooners"  is not a Special. It is a large series. Note the lack of "suicide" doors.

In 1937, the only 4-door Buick with conventional (non-suicide) doors, in my recollection was the Roadmaster 80C. Buick called it a Phaeton, and conventionally was considered a convertible sedan - like mine. The other series of Buick in 1937, closed or open 4-door models, had suicide rear doors as I recall.

The yellow car also in this photo from the 2012 VMCCA Glidden Tour in Texas is Doug Seybold's 1940 Buick Century with rear "suicide" style doors, and neither Buick, nor any other make I recall actually used that term.

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)

Marty, I would 100% agree with your comment, no car company advertised "suicide doors".  Why, to do so, would be advertising, what, suicide?  That was just a moniker added during the time period, since theoretically opening such a door while going down the road would not only pull the door open violently, but theoretically take the occupant with hand on inside door handle with it.....

I will say that so-called "suicide doors" make entry to the vehicle much easier.  One can spread left leg forward and then gently swing in, as opposed to bending knee to a great degree to fit foot inside car.  As we age gracefully, it's the "bending knee" part that is key....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kevin M said:

Here’s a 38 for sale for a bit more money in New Jersey by NYC looks good in my opinion and has been for sale for a few weeks now. https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/alpine-1938-buick-roadmaster/7042030457.html

This car a a LOT of  documented history to it, very neat back story. Up until recently a 1 family car. Recently its just been passed between dealers.

• Like 1