Sign in to follow this  
paul55

1937 Buick convertible sedan

There is a 1937 Buick convertible sedan listed on the Buffalo, NY Craigslist. It is located in Scottsville, NY which is South of Rochester, NY. It is listed at $12,500 and is running. It has been stored in a barn since 1986 and has missing parts. Perhaps someone can help with a link.

Looks like a Special? based on cowl length. a bit aggressive on the price IMO, though if truly rust free...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul55 said:

Scottsville, NY which is South of Rochester, NY.

It never snows there, does it? Not enough to use road salt I bet..........Bob

10 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

It never snows there, does it? Not enough to use road salt I bet..........Bob

Just like it never rains in Southern California...

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

go for it @MCHinson 😊

I would like to finish my 1938 Model 61 project before I consider another. Also, I am fairly sure that is a Special. I am sort of stuck on Centurys. My next car (if I choose to do another would probably need to be a 1936 Century to go with my theme of sequential year Centurys).

I also agree with Brian that the price seems a bit out of what I would spend on that car in that condition even if I was interested. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Somebody call Marty.

He needs another project...............

Mike in colorado

• Haha 1

Thanks, Mike, 

but just enjoying what I have,

maintaining them, and touring whenever possible ,

is enough for us.

Love my 1937 80C. 

These are a Fantastic Driver !

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

1937 Buick on 2012 Glidden-2.JPG

1937 Buick at St Bernard - right front.JPG

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Looks like a Special. Price a little high but if the floors etc are good might be worth it. A concern would be if the center posts are missing.

Definately NOT A ROADMASTER !

All 80 Series Phaetons (80C - convertible sedan) had conventionally hinged rear doors,

not rear "suicide" doors

• Thanks 1

Yes, thats the small body, but did they make a Century version?

3 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Yes, thats the small body, but did they make a Century version?

Yes but from the photos I would say that I am 99% sure it is a Special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Yes but from the photos I would say that I am 99% sure it is a Special. 

Yup, and it looks like a lot of parts have been "harvested" from her.

Now they are trying to sell the "shell".

What a shame.............

Mike in Colorado

That's about 15 miles from me. A lot of cars that belonged to Steve Ross have been coming out of the woodwork since he passed away. Most are in similar condition and out of similar storage. A friend recently bought a '35 Studebaker twice removed from the collection.

If I was interested I wouldn't balk at the price. Don't you know it's only the entry fee?

I must be getting old fashioned. I don't wear shorts and flip flops to church. And I don't put pictures of cars for sale that are still on the flatbed or car trailer.

About two years ago I was going to buy this one in the same neighborhood.

01414.jpg.ed7c099f7bf6601506627eda618a694b.jpg01616.jpg.26122a3f89fe311403a9d8e6b65c307d.jpg

But when I got there a the owner told me someone was on the way. That was a friend I figured needed the money from reselling more than I. So I passed. It was $800 or $1000.

One thing to remember, that salt belt was also the money belt. Many nicer climates didn't have the buyers with money for a Buick.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Many nicer climates didn't have the buyers with money for a Buick.

I resemble that remark.

• Thanks 1

Posting this ad in it's entirety as although it appears someone did do a sad injustice to the car by stealing some of its integral parts and appurtenances I personally think that if it is indeed "rust free" and the " straight 8 engine runs good" the $12K price tag would not be that much out of line for an easy restore '37 convertible even if it is a Special. I've been around Brians @38Buick 80C just enough to fall in love with the 4 suicide door convertible designs of these cars. I'm also a fan of the somewhat slant back design. Hopefully it finds a good BCA member home.

image.png.6ad0bf64a4780dc2f591b63ec5ff6aeb.pngimage.png.f83bf641b157afdf81742a17d15a94e6.pngimage.png.9448d330c8909c16794e69a0553cd3d5.pngimage.png.b0b08b4d3ba6016bf592c71975a29177.pngimage.png.8d16843139041ac911399591c4e11e68.pngimage.png.11f4fa93b98c8120a72b30ceff686b2e.png

Barn find. ESTATE CAR . 1937 Buick 4dr Cabriolet. In storage since 1986. needs restoration . Body is rust free. interior needs work . straight 8 engine runs good. missing some parts that were stolen while in storage. Sold with a bill of sale. $12,500 Call show contact info
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

post id: 7039331137

posted: 3 days ago

• Like 1

The seller has confirmed that the car is indeed a Special, not a Century. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I still think it is a Special despite the ebay listing description. I have sent the seller a message to attempt to determine the series for sure, but here it is on ebay now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153769715418

Seller ended auction "no longer available"..   Now relistedhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Buick-Other/153770533213?hash=item23cd70215d:g:ViMAAOSw6-5d~V2z

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Seller ended auction "no longer available"..   Now relistedhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Buick-Other/153770533213?hash=item23cd70215d:g:ViMAAOSw6-5d~V2z

I assume that was his preferred method to correct his error in listing it as a Century the first time. I would think that the missing "B" pillars would be difficult to deal with. Everything else is fairly straight forward, although the interior will be a bit more difficult since the demise of LeBaron Bonney. 

The 1937 40C I bid on several years ago at the deceased owners estate sale. Photo is from our Mason Dixon Show in 2012. It is Coronary Green. The car had been restored from a very dilapidated basket case by Jack Frank. He always said he spent in excess of $200,000 on the restoration. It truly was a stunning restoration.

DSCF0705.thumb.JPG.6e0a0654b8b49db872be1963648a7676.JPG

I was only able to go up to $20,000. It sold for $40,000. The family had offered it to me the year before at their asking price of $57,000. A year later the new owner lost interest and placed it for sale at Hershey with a broker. I am not sure what it sold for but probably around $50,000. It went to a good BCA member's home in Indianapolis. 

Jack told me that the top mechanism components were the greatest hassle to get chromed correctly. He said he spent over $5,000 to get them done in the late 1970s.

2 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Coronary Green

Larry, "Coronary Green"????  You made me choke on my beverage!  Late 1930s Cadillacs had a wonderful very dark green, appeared black unless in direct sunlight, called Cavern Green--possibly similar.

4 hours ago, Grimy said:

Larry, "Coronary Green"????  You made me choke on my beverage!  Late 1930s Cadillacs had a wonderful very dark green, appeared black unless in direct sunlight, called Cavern Green--possibly similar.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1937&model=Buick&rows=50