1937 Buick convertible sedan

paul55

There is a 1937 Buick convertible sedan listed on the Buffalo, NY Craigslist. It is located in Scottsville, NY which is South of Rochester, NY. It is listed at $12,500 and is running. It has been stored in a barn since 1986 and has missing parts. Perhaps someone can help with a link.

30 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

go for it @MCHinson 😊

I would like to finish my 1938 Model 61 project before I consider another. Also, I am fairly sure that is a Special. I am sort of stuck on Centurys. My next car (if I choose to do another would probably need to be a 1936 Century to go with my theme of sequential year Centurys).

I also agree with Brian that the price seems a bit out of what I would spend on that car in that condition even if I was interested. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks, Mike, 

but just enjoying what I have,

maintaining them, and touring whenever possible ,

is enough for us.

Love my 1937 80C. 

These are a Fantastic Driver !

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

1937 Buick on 2012 Glidden-2.JPG

1937 Buick at St Bernard - right front.JPG

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Definately NOT A ROADMASTER !

All 80 Series Phaetons (80C - convertible sedan) had conventionally hinged rear doors,

not rear "suicide" doors

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Yes but from the photos I would say that I am 99% sure it is a Special. 

Yup, and it looks like a lot of parts have been "harvested" from her.

Now they are trying to sell the "shell".

What a shame.............

Mike in Colorado

That's about 15 miles from me. A lot of cars that belonged to Steve Ross have been coming out of the woodwork since he passed away. Most are in similar condition and out of similar storage. A friend recently bought a '35 Studebaker twice removed from the collection.

If I was interested I wouldn't balk at the price. Don't you know it's only the entry fee?

I must be getting old fashioned. I don't wear shorts and flip flops to church. And I don't put pictures of cars for sale that are still on the flatbed or car trailer.

About two years ago I was going to buy this one in the same neighborhood.

01414.jpg.ed7c099f7bf6601506627eda618a694b.jpg01616.jpg.26122a3f89fe311403a9d8e6b65c307d.jpg

But when I got there a the owner told me someone was on the way. That was a friend I figured needed the money from reselling more than I. So I passed. It was $800 or $1000.

One thing to remember, that salt belt was also the money belt. Many nicer climates didn't have the buyers with money for a Buick.

Posting this ad in it's entirety as although it appears someone did do a sad injustice to the car by stealing some of its integral parts and appurtenances I personally think that if it is indeed "rust free" and the " straight 8 engine runs good" the $12K price tag would not be that much out of line for an easy restore '37 convertible even if it is a Special. I've been around Brians @38Buick 80C just enough to fall in love with the 4 suicide door convertible designs of these cars. I'm also a fan of the somewhat slant back design. Hopefully it finds a good BCA member home.

image.png.6ad0bf64a4780dc2f591b63ec5ff6aeb.pngimage.png.f83bf641b157afdf81742a17d15a94e6.pngimage.png.9448d330c8909c16794e69a0553cd3d5.pngimage.png.b0b08b4d3ba6016bf592c71975a29177.pngimage.png.8d16843139041ac911399591c4e11e68.pngimage.png.11f4fa93b98c8120a72b30ceff686b2e.png

Barn find. ESTATE CAR . 1937 Buick 4dr Cabriolet. In storage since 1986. needs restoration . Body is rust free. interior needs work . straight 8 engine runs good. missing some parts that were stolen while in storage. Sold with a bill of sale. $12,500 Call show contact info
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

post id: 7039331137

posted: 3 days ago

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I still think it is a Special despite the ebay listing description. I have sent the seller a message to attempt to determine the series for sure, but here it is on ebay now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153769715418

Seller ended auction "no longer available"..   Now relistedhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Buick-Other/153770533213?hash=item23cd70215d:g:ViMAAOSw6-5d~V2z

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Seller ended auction "no longer available"..   Now relistedhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Buick-Other/153770533213?hash=item23cd70215d:g:ViMAAOSw6-5d~V2z

I assume that was his preferred method to correct his error in listing it as a Century the first time. I would think that the missing "B" pillars would be difficult to deal with. Everything else is fairly straight forward, although the interior will be a bit more difficult since the demise of LeBaron Bonney. 

The 1937 40C I bid on several years ago at the deceased owners estate sale. Photo is from our Mason Dixon Show in 2012. It is Coronary Green. The car had been restored from a very dilapidated basket case by Jack Frank. He always said he spent in excess of $200,000 on the restoration. It truly was a stunning restoration.

DSCF0705.thumb.JPG.6e0a0654b8b49db872be1963648a7676.JPG

I was only able to go up to $20,000. It sold for $40,000. The family had offered it to me the year before at their asking price of $57,000. A year later the new owner lost interest and placed it for sale at Hershey with a broker. I am not sure what it sold for but probably around $50,000. It went to a good BCA member's home in Indianapolis. 

Jack told me that the top mechanism components were the greatest hassle to get chromed correctly. He said he spent over $5,000 to get them done in the late 1970s.

2 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Coronary Green

Larry, "Coronary Green"????  You made me choke on my beverage!  Late 1930s Cadillacs had a wonderful very dark green, appeared black unless in direct sunlight, called Cavern Green--possibly similar.

4 hours ago, Grimy said:

Larry, "Coronary Green"????  You made me choke on my beverage!  Late 1930s Cadillacs had a wonderful very dark green, appeared black unless in direct sunlight, called Cavern Green--possibly similar.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1937&model=Buick&rows=50

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, 60FlatTop said:

01414.jpg.ed7c099f7bf6601506627eda618a694b.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:42 PM, dibarlaw said:

DSCF0705.thumb.JPG.6e0a0654b8b49db872be1963648a7676.JPG

Love those 1937s with a true classic look.

FWIW. One of my earliest memories of a Buick is seeing my Grandpa brush-painting his 1938 Buick 4-door Special black in the early-1950s at his lake cabin. I did get a chance to ride in the front seat with him to the lake once after that and can still recall him working the floor shift. To this day, I always felt that the 1938s have the ugliest grilles (heavy horizontal grille bars) of all the 1930s Buicks and should have been built before the 1937s that have the sleeker thinner grille bars. Typically the newer the model, the more-advanced styling. What was Buick thinking? The same holds true for the rectangular-boxed 1954 Buicks, excluding the Skylark, compared to the 1953s.    

Ho, Ho, Ho !

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"More than 500 Miles NSE or W from the North Pole"

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

That is hilarious...there must be another meaning to the word.

History and Etymology for coronary

Adjective

borrowed from New Latin corōnārius "of a crown, encircling a body organ like a crown," going back to Latin, "of garlands or wreaths," from corōna "garland, wreath worn on the head as a mark of honor or emblem of majesty"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Not sure that it really matters but the car in the "Honeymooners"  is not a Special. It is a large series. Note the lack of "suicide" doors.

In 1937, the only 4-door Buick with conventional (non-suicide) doors, in my recollection was the Roadmaster 80C. Buick called it a Phaeton, and conventionally was considered a convertible sedan - like mine. The other series of Buick in 1937, closed or open 4-door models, had suicide rear doors as I recall.

The yellow car also in this photo from the 2012 VMCCA Glidden Tour in Texas is Doug Seybold's 1940 Buick Century with rear "suicide" style doors, and neither Buick, nor any other make I recall actually used that term.

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)

Marty, I would 100% agree with your comment, no car company advertised "suicide doors".  Why, to do so, would be advertising, what, suicide?  That was just a moniker added during the time period, since theoretically opening such a door while going down the road would not only pull the door open violently, but theoretically take the occupant with hand on inside door handle with it.....

I will say that so-called "suicide doors" make entry to the vehicle much easier.  One can spread left leg forward and then gently swing in, as opposed to bending knee to a great degree to fit foot inside car.  As we age gracefully, it's the "bending knee" part that is key....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kevin M said:

Here’s a 38 for sale for a bit more money in New Jersey by NYC looks good in my opinion and has been for sale for a few weeks now. https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/alpine-1938-buick-roadmaster/7042030457.html

This car a a LOT of  documented history to it, very neat back story. Up until recently a 1 family car. Recently its just been passed between dealers.

• Like 1