1915 Bumble Buick Speedster S/G Works!

Mark Shaw

I pulled the stuck starter/generator months ago to find out why it was stuck in the extended position; making it impossible to even use the hand crank to turn-over the engine.  A friend noticed that the tapered pin in the coupling had slipped out, jammed against the housing, & bent the tapered pin.   This made it very difficult to remove because it wasn't easily accessible in the position it had stopped.  I actually had to cut off the bent part to remove it and re-install a new roll pin with a nail inside to reinforce it and to keep it from sliding out again.  I re-connected all the wiring and put the battery charger on it for a couple of days.

This morning I gave it a try and it actually cranked the engine!  So now I will finish this car this winter and see what it will do this spring!

1870578639_BumbleBuickatBarn.jpg.8c60da46b6cb260b970dc0568b725a12.jpg

1915 Bumble Buick.jpg

• Like 9

I am not sure what size your taper pin was but I assume it was not huge.  Anyway my local ACE hardware has a good assortment of taper pins in numerous sizes.  I had to get some for an antique tractor I am working on,  If you have an ACE hardware near you you might consider checking with them.  I have found them to be helpful and they will order items they may not stock.

Thanks for the tip, but I did try my local ACE and other hardware stores with little luck when I bought the first taper pin.  I had to go to a big hardware store in Portland to get it.  Because it literally fell out, I wanted to use a split pin that compresses to fit in the worn tapered hole.  And, just for good measure, I put a tight fitting nail in the center of the split pin to reinforce it and capture the pin with the nail head.   I also bent the other end to keep it from coming out too.  I then put another spare split pin and nail in the zip lock bag I keep with the car for other spares.  I still need to run test this car & get everything adjusted before taking it on tours...

Mark,

The starter/generator/ water pump shaft uses a #4 tapered pin on my 1916 D-45.  I had a local old time automotive parts dealer order a new #4 tapered reamer for me.  I will use that when the new drive coupling is installed as things go back together.  I realize that the coupling is on the opposite end of the s/g unit where you had your problem, but the principle is still the same - with the tapered pin.  I think the new reamer was around $9.00 - $10.00.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas