des42

Fluidrive interchange?

Does anyone knows...Can I swap fluidrive unit from 48' Sotos Tiptoe to my 42 Simplimatic? It seems to be same outside...I know there is differences inside but are they physically interchange? Or du I miss something?

Do you mean just the fluid drive unit? The system around the clutch? Or do you mean the whole gearbox, including the fluid drive unit?

Just the fluidrive unit and clutch...I have a simplimatic and fluidrive unit is damaged and leaks. I have newer units from tip-toe and another what I think is from 48'Dodge....and all three looks same from the outside...

You can use the Fluid Drive and TipToe shift from a 46-48 DeSoto, Chrysler or Dodge 6 cylinder but you will need the floorboard from the 46-48. The access panels for the TipToe are different from the Simplimatic. I've seen a 42 DeSoto where the owner got tired of messing with the Simplimatic and went ahead and installed the TipToe unit. I don't remember if he had any problems with the linkage for the shift lever or not.

Old dead thread...but you cannot easily swap in a later 1946-49 TipToe trans in place of the 1951-42 Simplimatic transmission.

The wiring,vacuum and electrical controls are completely different between the two.

I was thinking the same thing for my 42 Chrysler. If you would use the wiring from a 46-48 with the 46-48 transmission. would that work?