dross1958

RARE - 1974 CHEVROLET VEGA ESTATE WAGON - TIME CAPSULE

Very rare, 1974 Chevrolet Vega Estate Wagon - time capsule car.   Roughly 34,000 original miles.  They never made many and good luck finding another one that is unmolested and rust free.

Auto, a/c, am/fm, manual steering and brakes, RUST FREE. Shiny paint, no dents, no damage ,  Runs and drives well ( well it drives like a Vega so there is that ) 

This is a very well kept, unrestored original car.  I have flushed all the fluids; tuned it up; put on new tires ; installed a new battery and drive it around on nice days.  It is fun taking it to the car shows here and it attracts crowds which makes the usual Corvette/Mustang people rather upset.   Most of the time it just sits in storage which is why we are considering selling it.  We have a large collection of original cars so no, nothing is wanted in trade.  We are at the stage in our lives where we are downsizing our car collection slightly.

The car is in Naples FL and kept in an air conditioned storage facility but it can be seen and driven if you are interested.  It is currently tagged and registered. 

$ 12,500 or nearest offer - no trades

20191011_113316_resized.jpg

20191011_113349_resized_1.jpg

20191011_113335_resized_1.jpg

20191011_113357_resized_1.jpg

20191011_112321_resized_1.jpg

20191011_112305_resized.jpg

20191011_112302_resized.jpg

20191011_112255_resized.jpg

20191011_112251_resized_1.jpg

20191011_112227_resized.jpg

20191011_112148_resized.jpg

20191011_112140_resized.jpg

20191011_112337_resized_1.jpg

Edited by dross1958 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

WOW! How did that one escape the ravages of time? That is in AWESOME condition.

• Like 3

Most of these were crushed by 1985. Bad engines, build quality and rust made them early throw aways.

This is likely the best Vega woody left that doesn't have a 80's small block V8!

• Like 2

Interesting car from a bad era.  Not much from the middle 70s was very good as GM tried to figure out how to deal with emissions, mileage, etc.  

• Like 1

I agree...very cool. And in nice condition. Please don't sell it to a Pro Street guy.

I bought a 1974 Astre GT , Pontiac badged Vega in 1975. One year old, didn't even make it home (30 miles) before it broke down. To say it was garbage was an understatement.

A mechanic friend bought it off of me for less than 1/3 what I paid for it a few weeks later. I told everyone who would listen about how crappy they were and vowed that if I ever won the lottery I would buy every Vega I could and crush them, then send the cube to GM headquarters in Detroit.

My friend rebuilt the engine resleeving with cast liners and drove it for 3 years. Had to do the body over every year due to Ontario rust. Yes I still hate' em

15 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

resleeving with cast liners

That was the cure.

15 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I bought a 1974 Astre GT , Pontiac badged Vega in 1975. One year old, didn't even make it home (30 miles) before it broke down. To say it was garbage was an understatement.

A mechanic friend bought it off of me for less than 1/3 what I paid for it a few weeks later. I told everyone who would listen about how crappy they were and vowed that if I ever won the lottery I would buy every Vega I could and crush them, then send the cube to GM headquarters in Detroit.

My friend rebuilt the engine resleeving with cast liners and drove it for 3 years. Had to do the body over every year due to Ontario rust. Yes I still hate' em

Had a 74 hatchback that required an engine overhaul - fortunately we had an extended warranty that covered it.  Otherwise, it wasn't a bad little car except it didn't like to start when the temperature got much below freezing.  We didn't have inside parking during the really cold 76-78 winters and we usually had to jump it with our other car to get it going in the morning.

• Like 1

Why is this rare original car still here ? Price is reasonable -- come and see or drive it

Just a reminder.

On 6/20/2005 at 5:26 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

Buy/Sell Forums
It is NOT okay for forum users to make negative comments on a seller's listing, nor is it okay to question its asking price.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wow, haven't seen one of these wagons in 40 years. It's really nice and would be a fun car to have. Hope it goes to a good home! 

Thanks, I hope so too.  I like looking at it but not driving it and can't justify paying for storage for a car I don't use.